An effective approach is proposed in this paper for estimating the near-field data external to the measurement region in the plane-polar scanning. It relies on the nonredundant sampling representations of the electromagnetic field and makes use of the singular value decomposition method for the extrapolation of the outside samples. It is so possible to reduce in a significant way the error due to the truncation of the measurement zone thus increasing the farfield angular region of good reconstruction. The comparison of such an approach, based on the optimal sampling interpolation expansions, with an existing procedure using the cardinal series has highlighted that the proposed technique works better. Some numerical tests are reported for demonstrating its effectiveness.
2. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the spatial bandwidth of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-35, 1445-1455, 1987.
3. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, Nearfield- far-field transformation from nonredundant plane-polar data: effective modellings of the source, IEE Proc.-Microw., Vol. 145, 33-38, 1998.
4. Bucci, O. M., F. D'Agostino, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "NF-FF transformation with plane-polar scanning: ellipsoidal modelling of the antenna," Automatika, Vol. 41, 159-164, 2000.
5. D'Agostino, F., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Data reduction in the NF-FF transformation with bi-polar scanning," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, 32-36, 2003.
6. Ferrara, F., C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "An efficient near-field to far-field transformation using the planar wide-mesh scanning," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 21, 341-357, 2007.
7. D'Agostino, F., F. Ferrara, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "NF-FF transformation with cylindrical scanning from a minimum number of data," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 35, 264-270, 2002.
8. Bucci, O. M., F. D'Agostino, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Data reduction in the NF-FF transformation technique with spherical scanning," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 15, 755-775, 2001.
9. D'Agostino, F., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Theoretical foundations of near-field-far-field transformations with spiral scannings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 193-214, 2006.
10. Gennarelli, C., G. Riccio, F. D'Agostino, and F. Ferrara, Near-field-Far-field Transformation Techniques, Vol. 1, Vol. 1, CUES, Salerno, Italy, 2004.
11. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, and C. Savarese, "Optimal interpolation of radiated fields over a sphere," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-39, 1633-1643, 1991.
12. Slepian, D. and H. O. Pollak, "Prolate spheroidal wave functions, Fourier analysis and uncertainty — I," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 40, 43-63, 1961.
13. Papoulis, A., "A new algorithm in spectral analysis and bandlimited extrapolation," IEEE Trans. Circuits, Vol. CAS-22, 735-742, 1975.
14. Sabri, M. S. and W. Steenaart, "An approach to band-limited signal extrapolation: the extrapolation matrix," IEEE Trans. Circuits, Vol. CAS-25, 74-78, 1978.
15. Cadzow, J. A., "An extrapolation procedure for band-limited signals," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-27, 4-12, 1979.
16. Jain, A. K. and S. Ranganath, "Extrapolation algoritms for discrete signals with application in spectral estimation," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-29, 830-845, 1981.
17. Sanz, J. L. C. and T. S. Huang, "Some aspects of band-limited signal extrapolation: models, discrete approximation, and noise," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-31, 830-845, 1983.
18. Sullivan, B. J. and B. Liu, "On the use of singular value decomposition and decimation in discrete-time band-limited signal extrapolation," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-32, 1201-1212, 1994.
19. Sano, A., "Optimally regularized inverse of singular value decomposition and application to signal extrapolation," Signal Processing, Vol. 30, 163-176, 1993.
20. Ferreira, P. J. S. G., "The stability of a procedure for the recovery of lost samples in band-limited signals," Signal Processing, Vol. 40, 195-205, 1994.
21. Landau, H. J., "Extrapolating a band-limited function from its samples taken in a finite interval," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. IT-32, 464-470, 1986.
22. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, and M. D. Migliore, "A new strategy to reduce the truncation error in near-field/far-field transformations," Radio Science, Vol. 35, 3-17, 2000.
23. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, and M. D. Migliore, Experimental validation of a new technique to reduce the truncation error in near-field far-field transformation, Proc. of AMTA 1998, 180-185, 1998.
24. Bolomey, J. C., O. M. Bucci, L. Casavola, G. D'Elia, M. D. Migliore, and A. Ziyyat, "Reduction of truncation error in near-field measurement of antennas of base-station mobile communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 593-602, 2004.
25. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1996.
26. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1999.
27. Hansen, P. C., Rank-deficient and Discrete Ill-posed Problems, SIAM, Philadelphia, USA, 1998.
28. Tikhonov, A. N. and V. Y. Arsenin, Solutions of Ill-posed Problems, Winston, Washington, D.C., USA, 1977.
29. Paris, D. T., W. M. Leach, Jr., and E. B. Joy, "Basic theory of probe-compensated near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-26, 373-379, 1978.
30. Gatti, M. S. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "FFT applications to planepolar near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-36, 781-791, 1988.