The requirements of achieving ionospheric modification by ground-transmitted HF heating waves are discussed. The directly relevant processes including linear mode conversion and parametric instabilities are explained physically. The nonlinear Schrodinger equation for Langmuir waves is reviewed and the initial conditions of two types of nonlinear solutions are discussed; from which the criterion for Langmuir soliton generation is pointed out.
2. Hagfors, T., W. Kofman, H. Kopka, P. Stubbe, and T. Aijanen, "Observations of enhanced plasma lines by EISCAT during heating experiments," Radio Sci., Vol. 18, 1983.
3. Stubbe, P., H. Kohl, and M. T. Rietveld, "Langmuir turbulence and ionospheric modification," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 97, 1992.
4. Fejer, J. A., "Ionospheric modification and parametric instabilities," Rev. Geophys., Vol. 17, 1979.
5. Kossey, P., J. Heckscher, H. Carlson, and E. Kennedy, "HAARP: High frequency active auroral research program," Journal of Arctic Research of the United States, Vol. 1, 1999.
6. Stubbe, P., H. Kopka, and R. L. Dowen, "Generation of ELF and VLF waves by polar electrojet modulation: experimental results," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 86, 1981.
7. Mphale, K. and M. Heron, "Ray tracing radio waves in wildfire environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 153-172, 2007.
8. Perkins, F. W., C. Oberman, and E. J. Valeo, "Parametric instabilities and ionospheric modification," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 79, 1974.
9. Kuo, S. P., "Oscillating two stream instability in ionospheric heating experiments," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 9, 2002.
10. Kuo, S. P., "Cascade of the parametric decay instability in ionospheric heating experiments," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 106, 2001.
11. Kuo, S. P. and M. C. Lee, "Cascade spectrum of HFPLs generated in HF heating experiments," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 110, 2005.
12. Ginzburg, V. L., The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas, 2nd edition.
13. Isaakidis, S. A. and T. D. Xenos, "Wave propagation and reflection in the ionosphere. An alternative approach for ray path calculations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 45, 201-215, 2004.
14. Schmidt, G., Physics of High Temperature Plasmas, 304-318, 2nd edition, Chapter 9, 304-318, Academic Press, 1979.
15. Konar, S. and A. Biswas, "Soliton-soliton interaction with power law nonlinearity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 95-108, 2005.