When airborne forward looking planar antenna is used to detect ground moving target, targets may be masked by strong clutter due to high sidelobes of the antenna pattern. In this paper, transmitting pattern is synthesized via convex optimization in order to suppress clutter from ground. Transmitting pattern has a low sidelobe illuminating short ranges and a high sidelobe focused into sky and remote ranges, which results in a relative small beamwidth in the elevation plane. In the azimuthal plane, transmitting pattern can form some notches in some fixed directions where strong clutter and interference exist. With insufficient training data due to a dispersion of clutter spectrum along range, adaptive receiving pattern with low sidelobes can be obtained by convex optimization when detecting remote targets. Simulation results show that transmitting and receiving patterns can effectively be designed via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar.
2. Klemm, R., Space-time Adaptive Processing-principles and Applications, IEE, London, 1998.
3. Borsari, G. K., Mitigating effects on STAP processing caused by an inclined array, IEEE National Radar Conference, 135-140, Dallas, 1998.
4. Lapierre, F. D., M. V. Droogenbroeck, and J. G. Verly, "New methods for handing the range dependence of the clutter spectrum in non-sidelooking monostatic STAP radars," ICASSP, 73-76, 2003.
5. Carlson, B. D., "Covariance matrix estimation errors and diagonal loading in adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. System, Vol. 24, 397-401, 1988.
6. Li, J., P. Stoica, and Z. Wang, "On robust capon beamforming and diagonal loading," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1702-1715, 2003.
7. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007.
8. Rocca, P., L. Manica, and A. Massa, "An effective excitation matching method for the synthesis of optimal compromises between sum and difference patterns in planar arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 115-130, 2008.
9. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis:null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
10. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007.
11. Babayigit, B., K. Guney, and A. Akdagli, "A clonal selection algorithm for array pattern nulling by controlling the positions of selected elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 257-266, 2008.
12. Mohamed, M. A., E. A. Soliman, and M. A. El-Gamal, "Optimization and characterization of electromagnetically coupled patch antennas using RFB neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1101-1104, 2006.
13. Zhai, Y. W., X. W. Shi, and Y. J. Zhao, "Optimized design of ideal and actual transformer based on improved micro-genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1761-1771, 2007.
14. Chen, T. B., et al., "Synthesis of circular antenna array using crossed particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1785-1795, 2006.
15. Mahmoud, K. R., M. EI-Adawy, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
16. Akdagli, A., K. Guney, and B. Babayigit, "Clonal selection algorithm for design of recongigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 215-227, 2007.
17. Lobo, M., et al., "Applications of second-order cone programming," Linear Algebra Application, Vol. 284, No. 1-3, 193-228, 1998.
18. Vorobyov, S. A., A. B. Gershman, and Z.-Q. Luo, "Robust adaptive beamforming using worst-case performance optimization: A solution to the signal mismatch problem," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 2, 313-324, 2003.
19. Elliott, R. S., "Design of line source antenna for narrow beamwidth and asymmetric low sidelobes," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 1, 100-107, 1975.
20. Chuang, C.-S. and L. W. Couch, "The design of narrow beamwidth asymmetric sidelobe array antenna patterns using analytic signal concept," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 10, 1530-1532, 1991.
21. Lu, Y. and B. K. Yeo, "Adaptive wide null steering for digital beamforming array with the complex coded genetic algorithm," Phased Array Systems and Technology, IEEE International Conference, 557-560, 2000.
22. Karmarkar, N., "A new polynomial-time algorithm for linear programming," Combinatorica, Vol. 4, No. 4, 373-395, 1984.
23. Sturm, J. F., "Using SeDuMi 1.02, a MATLAB toolbox for optimization over symmetric cones," Optim. Meth. Software, Vol. 11-12, 625-653, 1999.
24. Monzingo, R. A. and T. W. Miller, Introduction to Adaptive Arrays, New York, 1980.
25. Jing, L. A., B. Gershman, Z.-Q. Luo, and K. M. Wong, "Adaptive beamforming with sidelobe control: A second-order cone programming approach," IEEE Singal Processing Letter, Vol. 10, No. 11, 331-334, 2003.