To efficiently solve large dense complex linear system arising from electric field integral equations (EFIE) formulation of electromagnetic scattering problems, the multilevel fast multipole method (MLFMM) is used to accelerate the matrix-vector product operations. The inner-outer flexible generalized minimum residual method (FGMRES) is combined with the symmetric successive overrelaxation (SSOR) preconditioner based on the near-part matrix of the EFIE in the inner iteration of FGMRES to speed up the convergence rate of iterative methods. Numerical experiments with a few electromagnetic scattering problems for open structures are given to demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed method.
2. Varmazyar, S. H. and M. N. Moghadasi, "An integral equation modeling of electromagnetic scattering from the surfaces of arbitrary resistance distribution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 157-172, 2008.
3. Su, D., D.-M. Fu and D. Yu, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments for the design of PIFAs," Progress In ElectromagneticsResearch Letters, Vol. 1, 9-18, 2008.
4. Mittra, R. and K. Du, "Characteristic basis function method for iteration-free solution of large method of moments problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 307-336, 2008.
5. Wang, C.-F. and Y.-B. Gan, "2D cavity modeling using method of moments and iterative solvers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 123-142, 2003.
6. Huang, E. X. and A. K. Fung, "An application of sampling theorem to moment method simulation in surface scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 531-546, 2006.
7. Danesfahani, R., S. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, E. Babolian, and Z. Masouri, "Applying shannon wavelet basis functions to the method of moments for evaluating the radar cross section of the conducting and resistive surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 257-292, 2008.
8. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
9. Chew, W. C., J. M. Jin, E. Midielssen and J. M. Song, Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston, MA, 2001.
10. Rokhlin, V., "Rapid solution of integral equations of scattering theory in two dimensions," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 86, 414-439, Feb. 1990.
11. Pan, X.-M and X.-Q. Sheng, "A highly efficient parallel approach of multi-level fast multipole algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1081-1092, 2006.
12. Wang, P. and Y.-J. Xie, "Scattering and radiation problem of surface/surface junction structure with multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2189-2200, 2006.
13. Li, L. and Y.-J. Xie, "Efficient algorithm for analyzing microstrip antennas using fast-multipole algorithm combined with fixed realimage simulated method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2177-2188, 2006.
14. Zhao, X. W., C.-H. Liang, and L. Liang, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for radiation characteristics of shipborne antennas above seawater," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 291-302, 2008.
15. Fan, Z. H., D. Z. Ding, and R. S. Chen, "The efficient analysis of electromagnetic scattering from composite structures using hybrid CFIE-IEFIE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 131-143, 2008.
16. Chew, W. C., I. T. Chiang, et al, "Integral equation solvers for real world applications — Some challenge problems," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation , 91-93, Albuquerque, NM, 2006.
17. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1983.
18. Saad, Y., Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems, PWS Publishing Company, 1996.
19. Chen, R. S., D. Z. Ding, Z. H. Fan, and K. N. Yung, "Flexible GMRESFFT method for fast matrix solution: Application to 3D dielectric bodies electromagnetic scattering," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields,, Vol. 17, No. 6, 523-537, 2004.
20. Ding, D. Z., R. S. Chen, D. X. Wang, W. Zhuang, and E. K. N. Yung, "Application of the inner-outer flexible GMRESFET method to the analysis of scattering and radiation by cavitybacked patch antennas and arrays," International Journal of Electronics , Vol. 92, No. 11, 645-659, Nov. 2005.
21. Ping, W., R. S. Chen, K. F. Tsang, and E. K. N. Yung, "The SSOR-preconditioned inner-outer flexible GMRES method for the FEM analysis of EM problems," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 9, 1708-1712, Sept. 2006.
22. Song, J. M., C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, Oct. 1997.
23. Sertel, K. and J. L. Volakis, "Incomplete LU preconditioner for FMM implementation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 7, 265-267, 2000.
24. Chow, E. and Y. Saad, "Experimental study of ILU preconditioners for indefinite matrices," Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 86, 387-414, 1997.
25. Carpentieri, B., I. S. Duff, L. Griud, and G. Alleon, "Combining fast multipole techniques and an approximate inverse preconditioner for large electromagnetism calculations," SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, Vol. 27, No. 3, 774-792, 2005.
26. Rui, P. L. and R. S. Chen, "An efficient sparse approximate inverse preconditioning for FMM implementation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1746-1750, 2007.
27. Chen, R. S., E. K. N. Yung, C. H. Chan, and D. G. Fang, "Application of SSOR preconditioned conjugate gradient algorithm to edge-FEM for 3-dimensional full wave Electromagnetic boundary value problems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1165-1172, Apr. 2002.
28. Lee, J.-F., R. Lee, and R. J. Burkholder, "Loop star basis functions and a robust preconditioner for EFIE scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 855-1863, Aug. 2003.
29. Rui, P. L., R. S. Chen, D. X. Wang, and E. K. N. Yung, "A spectral multigrid method combined with MLFMA for solving electromagnetic wave scattering problems ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2571-2577, Sept. 2007.
30. Donepudi, K. C., J. M. Jin, J. M. Song, and W. C. Chew, "A higher order parallelized multilevel fast multipole algorithm for 3-D scattering," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1069-1078, 2001.