In this article, we demonstrate that in the case of a positive group velocity left-handed nonlinear (LH-NL) transmission line with series nonlinear capacitances, the spatial derivative of the voltage distribution satisfies the nonlinear Schrödinger (NLS) equation. Consequently, it will shown that a LH-NL transmission line with series varactors can be used to generate both bright and dark solitons similar to a composite right-left-handed (CRLH) transmission line periodically loaded with shunt varactors. The paper also discusses the conditions for generation of bright and dark solitons.
2. Caloz, C., Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley Interscience, New York, 2006.
3. Ran, L.-X., J. T. Huangfu, H. Chen, X.-M. Zhang, K.-S. Cheng, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental study on several left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 249-279, 2005.
4. Wang, J., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, C. Gu, X. Wu, and Z. Xu, "A tunable left-handed metamaterial based on modified broadside-coupled split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 35-45, 2009.
5. He, J., B.-Z. Wang, and K.-H. Zhang, "Wideband differential phase shifter using modified composite right/left handed transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1389-1394, 2008.
6. Wang, W., C. Liu, L. Yan, and K. Huang, "A novel power divider based on dual-composite right/left handed transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8--9, 1173-1180, 2009.
7. Veselago, V. G. and 10, "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ ," Sov. Phys. Usp., 509-514, February 1968.
8. Tang, W. X., H. Zhao, X. Zhou, J. Y. Chin, and T.-J. Cui, "Negative index material composed of meander line and srrs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 103-114, 2008.
9. Smith, D., W. Padilla, D. Vier, S. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184, 2000.
10. Caloz, C., H. Okabe, T. Iwai, and T. Itoh, Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials, USNC/URSI Nat. Radio Science Meeting, Vol. 1, June 2002.
11. Eleftheriades, G. V., A. K. Iyer, and P. C. Kremer, "Planar negative refractive index media using periodically L-C loaded transmission lines," IEEE Trans. on Micr. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 12, 2702-2712, December 2002.
12. Caloz, C., I.-H. Lin, and T. Itoh, "Characteristics and potential applications of nonlinear left-handed transmission line," Microw. and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 6, 471-473, March 2004.
13. Gupta, S. and C. Caloz, Dark and bright solitons in left-handed nonlinear transmission line metamaterials, IEEE MTT-S Int. Micro. Symp., 979-982, 2007.
14. Narahara, K., T. Nakamichi, T. Suemitsu, T. Otsuji, and E. Sano, "Development of solitons in composite rigth- and left-handed transmission lines periodically loaded with schottky varactors," Journal of Appl. Phys., Vol. 102, 024501-024504, 2007.
15. Taniuti, T. and N. Yajima, "Perturbation method for a nonlinear wave modulation, II," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 10, 2020-2024, 1968.
16. Alexander, B. K. and D. W. Van Der Weide, "Trains of envelope solitons in nonlinear left-handed transmission line media," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 254111-254113, 2007.
17. Kozyrev, A. B. and D. W. Van Der Weide, "Nonlinear left-handed transmission line metamaterials," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, 173001-173010, August 2008.
18. Arevalo, E., "Solitons in anharmonic chains with negative group velocity," Physical Review E, Vol. 76, 066602-066605, December 2007.
19. Agarwal, G. P., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Academic Press, 2005.
20. Gangwar, R., S. P. Singh, and N. Singh, "Soliton based optical communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 157-166, 2007.
21. Biswas, A., D. Milovic, F. Majid, and R. Kohl, "Optical soliton cooling in a saturable law media," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 13, 1735-1746, 2008.
22. Nejoh, Y., "Envelope soliton of the electron plasma wave in a nonlinear transmission line," Physica Scripta, Vol. 31, 415-418, 1985.
23. Nejoh, Y., "Cusp solitons, shock waves and envelope solitons in a new non-linear transmission line," J. Phys. A: Math. Gen., Vol. 20, 1733-1741, 1987.
24. Marquie, P., J. M. Bilbault, and M. Remoissenet, "Generation of envelope and hole solitons in a exprimental transmission line," Phys. Rev., Vol. 49, No. 1, 828-835, January 1994.
25. Hasegawa, A. and M. Matsumoto, Optical Solitons in Fibers, 3rd Ed., Springer, 2003.