We present fast and accurate solutions of electromagnetics problems involving realistic metamaterial structures using a lowfrequency multilevel fast multipole algorithm (LF-MLFMA). Accelerating iterative solutions using robust preconditioning techniques may not be sufficient to reduce the overall processing time when the ordinary high-frequency MLFMA is applied to metamaterial problems. The major bottleneck, i.e., the low-frequency breakdown, should be eliminated for efficient solutions. We show that the combination of an LF-MLFMA implementation based on the multipole expansion with the sparse-approximate-inverse preconditioner enables efficient and accurate analysis of realistic metamaterial structures. Using the robust LF-MLFMA implementation, we demonstrate how the transmission properties of metamaterial walls can be enhanced with randomlyoriented unit cells.
2. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative-refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley-IEEE, New Jersey, 2005.
3. Gokkavas, M., K. Güven, I. Bulu, K. Aydın, R. S. Penciu, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Özbay, "Experimental demonstration of a left-handed metamaterial operating at 100 GHz," Phys. Rev. B., Vol. 73, No. 19, 193103-1-193103-4, May 2006.
4. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 977-980, Nov. 2006.
5. Moss, C. D., T. M. Gregorczyk, Y. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Numerical studies of left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 315-334, 2002.
6. Gürel, L., Ö. Ergül, A. Ünal, and T. Malas, "Fast and accurate analysis of large metamaterial structures using the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 179-198, 2009.
7. Ylä-Oijala, P., Ö. Ergül, L. Gürel, and M. Taskinen, "Efficient surface integral equation methods for the analysis of complex metamaterial structures," Proc. European Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1560-1564, 2009.
8. Ergül, Ö., T. Malas, Ç. Yavuz, A. Ünal, and L. Gürel, "Computational analysis of complicated metamaterial structures using MLFMA and nested preconditioners," Proc. European Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2007.
9. Song, J., C.-C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, Oct. 1997.
10. Chew, W. C., J.-M. Jin, E. Michielssen, and J. Song, Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston, MA, 2001.
11. Ergül, Ö., Ç. Yavuz, A. Ünal, and L. Gürel, "Investigation of various metamaterial structures using multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., 1845-1848, 2007.
12. Greengard, L., J. Huang, V. Rokhlin, and S. Wandzura, "Accelerating fast multipole methods for the Helmholtz equation at low frequencies," IEEE Comput. Sci. Eng., Vol. 5, 32-38, Jul.-Sep. 1998.
13. Jiang, L. J. and W. C. Chew, "Low-frequency fast inhomogeneous planewave algorithm (LF-FIPWA)," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 2, 117-122, Jan. 2004.
14. Darve, E. and P. Have, "A fast multipole method for Maxwell equations stable at all frequencies," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 362, 603-628, Mar. 2004.
15. Wallén, H. and J. Sarvas, "Translation procedures for broadband MLFMA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 47-78, 2005.
16. Xuan, L., A. Zhu, R. J. Adams, and S. D. Gedney, "A broadband multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., 1195-1198, 2004.
17. Chew, W. C., S. Koc, J. M. Song, C. C. Lu, and E. Michielssen, "A succinct way to diagonalize the translation matrix in three dimensions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 3, 144-147, Jun. 1997.
18. Zhao, J.-S. and W. C. Chew, "Three dimensional multilevel fast multipole algorithm from static to electrodynamic," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 1, 43-48, Jul. 2000.
19. Zhao, J.-S. and W. C. Chew, "Applying matrix rotation to the three-dimensional low-frequency multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 2, 105-110, Jul. 2000.
20. Zhao, J.-S. and W. C. Chew, "Applying LF-MLFMA to solve complex PEC structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 3, 155-160, Feb. 2001.
21. Chu, Y.-H. and W. C. Chew, "A multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electrically small composite structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 3, 202-207, Nov. 2004.
22. Jiang, L. J. and W. C. Chew, "A mixed-form fast multipole algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 4145-4156, Dec. 2005.
23. Otani, Y. and N. Nishimura, "A periodic FMM for Maxwell's equations in 3D and its applications to problems related to photonic crystals," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 227, No. 9, 4630-4652, Apr. 2008.
24. Lee, J., J. Zhang, and C.-C. Lu, "Sparse inverse preconditioning of multilevel fast multipole algorithm for hybrid integral equations in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2277-2287, Sep. 2004.
25. Malas, T. and L. Gürel, "Accelerating the multilevel fast multipole algorithm with the sparse-approximate-inverse (SAI) preconditioning," SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 31, No. 3, 1968-1984, Mar. 2009.
26. Koc, S., J. M. Song, and W. C. Chew, "Error analysis for the numerical evaluation of the diagonal forms of the scalar spherical addition theorem," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., Vol. 36, No. 3, 906-921, 1999.
27. Wu, B.-I., W.Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005.
28. Wongkasem, N., A. Akyurtlu, J. Li, A. Tibolt, Z. Kang, and W. D. Goodhue, "Novel broadband terahertz negative refractive index metamaterials: Analysis and experiment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 205-218, 2006.
29. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
30. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
31. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and csrr dgs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
32. Alici, K. B., A. E. Serebrayannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Radiation properties and coupling analysis of a metamaterial based, dual polarization, dual band, multiple split ring resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1183-1193, 2010.