This study focuses on electromagnetic and thermo-mechanical optimal design for high-temperature broadband radome wall with symmetrical graded porous structure. The position-dependent porosity increases from the two surfaces of the structure to its intermediate layer. Electromagnetic and thermo-mechanical properties of the proposed structure are investigated simultaneously via numerical simulations. Optimal results suggest that the symmetrical porous structure possesses better broadband transmission performance in the 1-100 GHz frequency range, in contrast to a traditional A-sandwich structure. The thermo-mechanical investigation also indicates that the novel structure meets the requirement for high-temperature (up to 1400°C) applications.
2. Persson, K., M. Gustafsson, and G. Kristensson, "Reconstruction and visualization of equivalent currents on a radome using an integral representation formulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 65-90, 2010.
3. Sukharevsky, O. I. and V. A. Vasilets, "Scattering of reflector antenna with conic dielectric radome," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 159-169, 2008.
4. Meng, H. F. and W.-B. Dou, "Fast analysis of electrically large radome in millimeter wave band with fast multipole acceleration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 371-385, 2011.
5. Xiao, K., S. L. Chai, and L.-W. Li, "Comparisons of coupled VSIE and non-coupled VSIE formulations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1341-1351, 2011.
6. Amin, A. M. and R. L. Sierakowski, "Effect of thermomechanical coupling on the response of elastic solids," AIAA Journal, Vol. 28, No. 7, 1319-1322, 1990.
7. Chen, F., Q. Shen, and L. Zhang, "Electromagnetic optimal design and preparation of broadband ceramic radome material with graded porous structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 445-461, 2010.
8. Karim, M. N. A., M. K. A. Rahim, H. A. Majid, O. B. Ayop, M. Abu, and F. Zubir, "Log periodic fractal Koch antenna for UHF band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 201-218, 2010.
9. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
10. Hong, T., M.-Z. Song, and Y. Liu, "RF directional modulation technique using a switched antenna array for communication and direction-finding applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 195-213, 2011.
11. Zhu, F., S.-C. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, and J.-D. Xu, "Low-profile directional ultra-wideband antenna for see-through-wall imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 121-139, 2011.
12. Koetje, E. L., F. H. Simpson, and J. F. Schorsch, Broadband and high temperature radome apparatus, US Pat., 4677443, Jun. 30, 1987.
13. Mackenzie, S. B., Radome wall design having broadband and mm-wave characteristics, US Pat., 5408244, Apr. 18, 1995.
14. Mackenzie, S. B. and D. W. Stressing, W-band and X-band radome wall, US Pat., 6028565, Feb. 22, 2000.
15. Niino, M. and S. Maeda, "Recent development status of functionally gradient materials," ISIJ International, Vol. 30, No. 9, 699-703, 1990.
16. Javaheri, R. and M. R. Eslami, "Thermal buckling of functionally graded plates," AIAA Journal, Vol. 40, No. 1, 162-169, 2002.
17. Vel, S. S. and R. C. Batra, "Exact solution for thermoelastic deformations of functionally graded thick rectangular plates," AIAA Journal, Vol. 40, No. 7, 1421-1433, 2002.
18. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1986, Royal Society, London, 1904.
19. Garnett, J. C. M., "Colors in metal glasses and in metallic films," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol. 203, No. 359-371.
20. Huang, X., F. Peng, F. Yan, and H. Tang, "Research on the dielectric properties of composite made with Si3N4-SiO2," Journal of Wuhan University of Technology, Vol. 28, No. 12, 21-23, 2006.
21. Zhou, Y., Science of Ceramic Material, Harbin Institute of Technology Press, Harbin, China, 1995.
22. Kuriyama, M., Y. Inomata, T. Kujima, and Y. Hasegawa, "Thermal conductivity of hot-pressed Si3N4 by the laser flash method," American Ceramic Society Bulletin, Vol. 57, No. 12, 1119-1122, 1978.
23. Miao, X., X. Zhang, B. Wan, J. Han, and S. Du, "Research on thermoelastic problems computation methods of FGM," Journal of Functional Materials, Vol. 30, No. 2, 122-125, 1999.
24. Kingery, W. D., H. H. Bowen, and D. R. Uhlmann, Introduction to Ceramics, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1976.
25. Kondo, R., Porous Materials, Gihodo, Tokyo, Japan, 1973.
26. Coble, R. L. and W. D. Kingery, "Effect of porosity on physical properties of sintered alumina," Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 39, No. 11, 377-385, 1956.
27. Huseby, I. C., G. A. Slack, and R. H. Arendt, "Thermal expansion of CdAl2O4, β-Si3N4 and other phenacite-type compounds," Bulletin of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 60, No. 9, 919-920, 1981.
28. Bruls, R. J., H. T. Hintzen, G. de With, and R. Metselaar, "The temperature dependence of the Young's modulus of MgSiN2, AlN and Si3N4," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 21, No. 3, 263-268, 2001.
29. Tomeno, I. and High temperature elastic moduli of Si3N4 ceramics, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1751-1752, 1981.
30. Shao, Y., D. Jia, and Y. Zhou, "Effect of porosity on mechanical and dielectric properties of 20% BN/Si3N4 composite porous ceramics ," Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, Vol. 38, No. 2, 479-482, 2009.
31. Liu, H., Mechanics of Materials, Higher Education Press, Beijing, China, 2007.