This paper presents a new method for antenna pattern retrieval from reflection coefficient measurements. A reflective load with known reflective properties is placed close to the aperture of the antenna under test. The reflection coefficient of the antenna is measured at the antenna feed with multiple different reflective loads. The antenna pattern is then solved from the measurements with an inversion method. This paper derives and verifies the analytical foundations needed to implement the method, and demonstrates the method both by simulations and experiments for a pyramidal horn antenna at 30 GHz.
2. Häkli, J., T. Koskinen, A. Lönnqvist, J. Säily, J. Mallat, J. Ala-Laurinaho, V. Viikari, J. Tuovinen, and A. V. Räisänen, "Testing of a 1.5m reflector antenna at 322 GHz in a CATR based on a hologram," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3142-3150, Oct. 2005.
3. Lönnqvist, A., T. Koskinen, J. Häkli, J. Säily, J. Ala-Laurinaho, J. Mallat, V. Viikari, J. Tuovinen, and A. V. Räisänen, "Hologram-based compact range for submillimeter-wave antenna testing," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3151-3159, Oct. 2005.
4. J., Säily, P. Eskelinen, and A. V. Räisänen, "Pilot signal-based real-time measurement and correction of phase errors caused by microwave cable flexing in planar near-field tests," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 2, 195-200, Feb. 2003.
5. King, D. D., "The measurement and interpretation of antenna scattering," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 37, No. 7, 770-777, Jul. 1949.
6. Wiesbeck, W. and E. Heidrich, "Wide-band multiport antenna characterization by polarimetric RCS measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 3, 341-350, Mar. 1998.
7. Appel-Hansen, J., "Accurate determination of gain and radiation patterns by radar cross-section measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 5, 640-646, Sep. 1979.
8. Pursula, P., M. Hirvonen, K. Jaakkola, and T. Varpula, "Antenna effective aperture measurement with backscattering modulation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2836-2843, Oct. 2007.
9. Ranvier, S., M. Kyrö, C. Icheln, C. Luxey, R. Staraj, and P. Vainikainen, "Compact 3-D on-wafer radiation pattern measurement system for 60 GHz antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 2, 319-324, Feb. 2009.
10. Beer, S. and T. Zwick, "Probe based radiation pattern measurements for highly integrated millimeter-wave antennas," Proceeding of 4th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, Apr. 2010.
11. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, K., S. Brebel, A. Enayati, R. Faraji-Dana, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and W. Deraedt, "RF probe influence study in millimeter-wave antenna pattern measurements," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 4, 413-420, Jul. 2011.
12. Calazans, T., H. D. Gri±ths, A. L. Cullen, D. E. N. Davies, and R. Benjamin, "Antenna radiation pattern measurement using a near-field wire scattering technique," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 145, No. 3, 263-267, Jun. 1998.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd edition, Wiley, 2005.