In this paper, the extension of the Contiguous Partition Method (CPM) from linear to planar arrays is described and assessed. By exploiting some properties of the solution space, the generation of compromise sum-difference patterns is obtained through an optimal excitation matching procedure based on a combinatorial method. The searching of the solution is carried out thanks to an efficient path-searching algorithm aimed at exploring the solution space represented in terms of a graph. A set of representative results are reported for the assessment as well as for comparison purposes.
2. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill, 1990.
3. Dolph, C. L., "A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimizes the relationship between beam width and sidelobe level," Proc. IRE, Vol. 34, No. 6, 335-348, 1946.
4. Villeneuve, A. T., "Taylor patterns for discrete arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, No. 10, 1089-1093, 1984.
5. McNamara, D. A., "Direct synthesis of optimum difference patterns for discrete linear arrays using Zolotarev distribution," IEE Proc. H Microwaves Antennas Propagat., Vol. 140, No. 6, 445-450, 1993.
6. McNamara, D. A., "Performance of Zolotarev and modified-Zolotarev difference pattern array distributions," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagat., Vol. 141, No. 1, 37-44, 1994.
7. Taylor, T. T., "Design of a circular apertures for narrow beamwidth and low sidelobe," Trans. IRE Antennas Propagat., Vol. 8, 17-22, 1960.
8. Bayliss, E. T., "Design of monopulse antenna difference patterns with low sidelobes," Bell System Tech. Journal, Vol. 47, 623-640, 1968.
9. Singh, A. K., P. Kumar, T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, and S. Bhooshan, "A novel digital beamformer with low angle resolution for vehicle tracking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 229-237, 2006.
10. McNamara, D. A., "Synthesis of sub-arrayed monopulse linear arrays through matching of independently optimum sum and difference excitations," IEE Proc. H Microwaves Antennas Propagat., Vol. 135, No. 5, 293-296, 1988.
11. Ares, F., S. R. Rengarajan, J. A. Rodriguez, and E. Moreno, "Optimal compromise among sum and difference patterns through sub-arraying," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp., 1142-1145, Baltimore, MD, USA, 1996.
12. Lopez, P., J. A. Rodriguez, F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Subarray weighting for difference patterns of monopulse antennas: Joint optimization of subarray configurations and weights," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 11, 1606-1608, 2001.
13. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "Optimization of the difference patterns for monopulse antennas by a hybrid real/integer-coded differential evolution method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 372-376, 2005.
14. D'Urso, M., T. Isernia, and E. F. Meliado, "An effective hybrid approach for the optimal synthesis of monopulse antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1059-1066, 2007.
15. Manica, L., P. Rocca, A. Martini, and A. Massa, "An innovative approach based on a tree-searching algorithm for the optimal matching of independently optimum sum and difference excitations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 2007 (in press).
16. Fisher, W. D., "On grouping for maximum homogeneity," American Statistical Journal, 789-798, 1958.
17. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Wiley-Interscience IEEE Press, 2003.