The design of an optimized Wideband Electronically Steerable Passive Array Radiator (W-ESPAR) antenna, for Terrestrial Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB-T) reception, is proposed. A genetic algorithm is used in order to calculate the positions and lengths of antenna elements (structural parameters) and loading conditions (control parameters). A nine-element W-ESPAR antenna with one element active and eight passive can have one directive beam per channel, with mean gain of 9 dBi, reflection factor less than 0.2 and input impedance around 75 Ohms. Computer simulations have shown that one main lobe may be achieved in the same direction and for all UHF channels, from 470MHz to 890 MHz. The analytical results for the design are provided, and they show that the proposed W-ESPAR antenna is suitable for portable DVB-T reception.
2. International Telecommunication Union, Final Acts of the Regional Radiocommunication Conference for Planning of the Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting Service in Parts of Regions 1 and 3 in the Frequency Bands 174–230MHz and 470–862MHz (RRC-06), Geneva, 2006.
3. International Telecommunication Union, Final Acts of the Regional Radiocommunication Conference for the Revision of the Stockholm 1961 Agreement (RRC-06-Rev.ST61), Geneva, 2006.
4. European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations, The Chester 1997Multilater al Coordination Agreement Relating to Technical Criteria, Coordination Principles and Procedures for the Introduction of Terrestrial Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB-T), Chester, July 25, 1997.
5. International Telecommunication Union, DTTB Handbook Digital DTTB Handbook Digital, Radiocommunication Bureau Edition, 2002.
6. Lozano, A., F. R. Farrokhi, and R. A. Valenzuela, "Lifting the limits on high-speed wireless data access using antenna arrays," Communications Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 9, 156-162, September 2001.
7. Herscovici, N. and C. Chrostodoulou, "Why have smart antennas not yet gained any traction with wireless network operators," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 6, December 2005.
8. Lehne, P. H. and M. Pettersen, "An overview of smart antenna technology for mobile communication systems," IEEE Communications Surveys, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2-13, Fourth Quarter, 1999.
9. Liberti, J. C. and T. S. Rappaport, Smart Antennas for Wireless Communication: IS-95 and Third Generation CDMA Applications, Prentice Hall, 1999.
10. Gyoda, K. and T. Ohira, "Electronically steerable passive array radiator antennas for low-cost analog adaptive beamforming," Proc. 2000 IEEE International Conference on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 101-104, 2000.
11. Kawakami, H. and T. Ohira, "Electronically Steerable Passive Array Radiator (ESPAR) antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 2, April 2005.
12. Gyoda, K. and T. Ohira, "Design of Electronically Steerable Passive Array Radiator (ESPAR) antennas," 2000 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 922-925, 2000.
13. International Telecommunication Union, Final Acts of the European Broadcasting Conference in the VHF and UHF Bands, Stockholm, 1961.
14. Capsalis, C. and P. Kottis, Keraies Asyrmates Zefkseis, Tziolas Editions, Athens, Greece, 2007.
15. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
16. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
17. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1999.
18. Sijher, T. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Antenna modeling by infinitesimal dipoles using genmetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 52, 225-254, 2005.
19. Meng, Z.-Q., "Autonomous genetic algorithm for functional optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 72, 253-268, 2007.
20. Orchard, B., Optimizing Algorithms for Antenna Design, M.Sc. Dissertation, University of the Witwatersrand, 2002.
21. Mitilineos, S. A., C. A. Papagianni, G. I. Verikaki, and C. N. Capsalis, "Design of switched beam planar array using the method of genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 46, 105-126, 2004.
22. Lee, K.-C., "A genetic algorithm based direction finding technique with compensation of mutual coupling effects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 11, 1613-1624, 2003.