The use of permanent magnets as bearings has gained attention of researchers nowadays. The characteristics of forces and moments have to be analysed thoroughly for the proper design of permanent magnet bearings. This paper presents a mathematical model of an axially magnetized permanent magnet bearing (ring magnets) using Coulombian model and a vector approach to estimate the force, moment and stiffness. A MATLAB code is developed for evaluating the parameters. Furthermore, it is extended to analyse stacked ring magnets with alternate axial polarization. The proposed model is validated with the available literature. Comparison of force and stiffness results of the present model with the results of three dimensional (3D) finite element analysis using ANSYS shows good agreement. Finally, the cross coupled stiffness values in addition to the principal stiffness values are presented for elementary structures and also for stacked structures with three ring permanent magnets.
2. Yonnet, J. P., "Permanent magnetic bearings and couplings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 17, No. 1, 1169-1173, 1981.
3. Delamare, J., E. Rulliere, and J. P. Yonnet, "Classification and synthesis of permanent magnet bearing configurations," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 31, No. 6, 4190-4192, 1995.
4. Chu, H. Y., Y. Fan, and C. S. Zhang, "A novel design for the flywheel energy storage system," Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 2, 1583-1587, 2005.
5. Guilherme, G. S., R. Andrade, and A. C. Ferreira, "Magnetic bearing sets for a flywheel system," IEEE Trans. on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2150-2153, 2007.
6. Ohji, T., et al., "Conveyance test by oscillation and rotation to a permanent magnet repulsive-type conveyor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 40, No. 4, 3057-3059, 2004.
7. Hussien, A., et al., "Application of the repulsive-type magnetic bearing for manufacturing micromass measurement balance equipment," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 10, 3802-3804, 2005.
8. Yonnet, J. P., et al., "Stacked structures of passive magnetic bearings," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 70, No. 10, 6633-6635, 1991.
9. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, and R. Lemarquand, "Analytical calculation of the magnetic field created by permanent magnet rings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 8, 1982-1989, 2008.
10. Babic, S. I. and C. Akyel, "Improvement in the analytical calculation of the magnetic field produced by permanent magnet rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 71-82, 2008.
11. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Comparison of the Coulombian and Amperian current models for calculating the magnetic field produced by radially magnetized arc-shaped permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 309-327, 2009.
12. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "Discussion about the analytical calculation of the magnetic field created by permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 281-297, 2009.
13. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, and V. Lemarquand, "Magnetic field created by tile permanent magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 7, 2920-2926, 2009.
14. Selvaggi, J. P. , et al., "Calculating the external magnetic field from permanent magnets in permanent-magnet motors --- An alternative method," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 40, No. 5, 3278-3285, 2004.
15. Lang, M., "Fast calculation method for the forces and stiffnesses of permanent-magnet bearings," 8th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearing, 533-537, 2002.
16. Paden, B. , N. Groom, and J. Antaki, "Design formulas for permanent-magnet bearings," ASME Trans., Vol. 125, 734-739, 2003.
17. Azukizawa, T., S. Yamamoto, and N. Matsuo, "Feasibility study of a passive magnetic bearing using the ring shaped permanent magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 11, 4277-4280, 2008.
18. Samanta, P. and H. Hirani, "Magnetic bearing configurations: Theoretical and experimental studies," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 2, 292-300, 2008.
19. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, and V. Lemarquand, "Force and stiffness of passive magnetic bearings using permanent magnets. Part 1: Axial magnetization," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 7, 2996-3002, 2009.
20. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, and V. Lemarquand, "Force and stiffness of passive magnetic bearings using permanent magnets. Part 2: Radial magnetization," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 9, 3334-3342, 2009.
21. Jiang, W., et al., "Forces and moments in axially polarized radial permanent magnet bearings," Proceedings of Eighth International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, 521-526, Mito, Japan, 2002.
22. Jiang, W., et al., "Stiffness analysis of axially polarized radial permanent magnet bearings," Proceedings of Eighth International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, 527-532, Mito, Japan, 2002.
23. Bekinal, S. I., T. R. Anil, and S. Jana, "Force, moment and stiffness characteristics of permanent magnet bearings," Proceedings of National Symposium on Rotor Dynamics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 161-168, 2011.
24. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Halbach structures for permanent magnets bearings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 14, 263-277, 2010.
25. Mukhopadhaya, S. C., et al., "Fabrication of a repulsive-type magnetic bearing using a novel arrangement of permanent magnets for vertical-rotor suspension," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 5, 3220-3222, 2003.