A flexible and reliable full-wave modal integral method is proposed to efficiently characterize planar transmission structures printed on multilayered isotropic/anisotropic substrates. Based on the mathematical concept of operators used in electromagnetism, it consists in determining the modal inner products obtained through the Galerkin's procedure via a proper choice of trial functions with metallic edge effects. To this aim, a fast and accurate nonuniform discretization algorithm is introduced for the first time, while using a new process to accelerate the convergence with regard to the number of areas of such inner products, thus significantly reducing the required CPU-time for planar transmission lines analysis. To demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed numerical integral approach, a successful comparison was achieved through a close agreement with published data.
2. Wang, Y., J. Wang, L. Yao, and W. Y. Yin, "A hybrid method based on leapfrog ADI-FDTD and FDTD for solving multiscale transmission line network," IEEE Journal on Multiscale and Multiphysics Computational Tech., Vol. 5, 273-280, Dec. 2020.
3. Yang, Y., X. C. Li, Y. Li, and J. Mao, "A compact 2-D stochastic FDTD method for uncertainty analysis in superconducting transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 30, No. 8, 1-7, Dec. 2020.
4. Gansen, A., M. El Hachemi, S. Belouettar, O. Hassan, and K. Morgan, "A 3D unstructured mesh FDTD scheme for EM modelling," Archives of Comp. Method In Eng., Vol. 28, 181-213, Springer, Jan. 2020.
5. Tounsi, M. L., R. Touhami, A. Khodja, and M. C. E. Yagoub, "Analysis of the mixed coupling in bilateral microwave circuits including anisotropy for MICs and MMICs applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 281-315, 2006.
6. Daoudi, S., F. Benabdelaziz, C. Zebiri, and D. Sayad, "Generalized exponential matrix technique application for the evaluation of the dispersion characteristics of a chiro-ferrite shielded multilayered microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 61, 1-14, 2017.
7. Sayad, D., C. Zebiri, I. Elfergani, J. Rodrigez, H. Abobaker, A. Ullah, R. Abdalhameed, I. Otung, and F. Benabdelaziz, "Complex bianisotropy effect on the propagation constant of a shielded multilayered coplanar waveguide using improving full generalized exponential matrix technique," J. Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, 1-18, Feb. 2020.
8. Molina, C. G., F. Q. Pereira, A. A. Melcon, V. E. Boria, and M. Guglielmi, "An efficient technique to assess the convergence of the multimode equivalent network for waveguide devices," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 66, 651-659, Jan. 2018.
9. Molina, C. G., F. Q. Pereira, A. A. Melcon, S. Marini, M. A. S. Soriano, V. E. Boria, and M. Guglielmi, "Multimode equivalent network for boxed multilayer arbitrary planar circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 68, 2501-2514, Jul. 2020.
10. Baudrand, H., H. Aubert, D. Bajon, and F. Bouzidi, "Equivalent network representation of boundary conditions involving generalized trial quantities," Annales des Telecom., Vol. 52, No. 5-6, 285-292, May/Jun. 1997.
11. Baudrand, H. and D. Bajon, "Equivalent circuit representation for integral formulations of electromagnetic problems," Intern. Journal of Num. Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 15, No. 1, 23-57, Wiley, Jan/Feb. 2002.
12. Zeid, A. and H. Baudrand, "Electromagnetic scattering by metallic holes and its applications in microwave circuit design," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 1198-1206, Apr. 2002.
13. Bouzidi, F., H. Aubert, D. Bajon, and H. Baudrand, "Equivalent network representation of boundary conditions involving generalized trial quantities-application to lossy transmission lines with finite metallization thickness," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, 869-876, Jun. 1997.
14. Khodja, A., M. C. E. Yagoub, R. Touhami, and H. Baudrand, "Efficient characterization of millimeter-wave asymmetric coupled microstrip structures using the quasi-symmetric approach," Int. J. RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 23, 527-538, Wiley, Sep. 2013.
15. Aubrion, M., H. Aubert, M. Ahmadpanah, and H. Baudrand, "Analysis of discontinuous-layer propagation structures by transverse resonance method," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 24, 2086-2087, Nov. 1993.
16. Aubert, H. and H. Baudrand, L'Electromagnetisme par Les Schemas Equivalents [Electromagnetism by Equivalent Circuits], Toulouse, France, Cepadues, 2003.
17. Khodja, A., Contribution a la modelisation des circuits planaires multicouches symetriques/asymetriques par une methode integrale dans le domaine modal [Contribution in the modeling of symmetrical/asymmetrical multilayer planar circuits by modal integral method], Ph.D. thesis, USTHB, Algiers, Algeria, Oct. 2017.
18. Khodja, A., M. C. E. Yagoub, R. Touhami, and H. Baudrand, "Advanced recursive modal integral technique for accurate hybrid mode characterization of symmetrical/asymmetrical multilayered uniaxial anisotropic planar structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 18, 2397-2427, Francis and Taylor, Jul. 2021.
19. Pujol, S., H. Baudrand, and V. F. Hanna, "A complete description of a source-type method for modeling planar structures," Ann. de Telecom., Vol. 48, No. 9-10, 459-470, Sept./Oct. 1993.
20. Nadarassin, M., H. Aubert, and H. Baudrand, "Analysis of planar structures by an integral approach using entire domain trial functions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 2492-2495, Oct. 1995.
21. Grayaa, K., T. Aguili, H. Baudrand, and A. Bouallegue, "Characterization of planar passive circuits using source method and different trial functions," IEE. Proc. Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 146, 209-213, Jun. 1999.
22. Aubert, H., B. Souny, and H. Baudrand, "Origin and avoidance of spurious solutions in the transverse resonance method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 450-456, Mar. 1993.
23. Khodja, A., Optimisation des fonctions d'essai dans la modelisation de la ligne a ailettes unilaterale par la methode de resonance transverse [Optimization of trial functions in the modeling of unilateral finline structure by the transverse resonance method], Magister thesis, USTHB, Algiers, Algeria, Apr. 2000.
24. Souny, B., H. Aubert, and H. Baudrand, "Elimination of spurious solutions in the calculation of eigenmodes by moment method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 154-157, Jan. 1996.
25. Khodja, A., M. C. E. Yagoub, R. Touhami, and H. Baudrand, "Advanced full-wave integral method for accurate analysis of transmission planar circuits: Application to finline structures," IEEE Int. Conf. on Ultra-Wideband, 345-350, Paris, France, Sep. 2014.
26. Khodja, A., M. C. E. Yagoub, R. Touhami, and H. Baudrand, "Improved numerical modal technique for fast and accurate modeling of transmission planar structures: Application to microstrip line," Int. Conf. on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design, 1-4, Istanbul, Turkey, Sep. 2015.
27. Radi, B. and A. El-Hami, Advanced Numerical Methods with MatlabR 1, Vol. 6, ISTE Ltd and J. Wiley, London, UK, 2018.
28. Shalaby, A. T. K. and A. Kumar, "Dispersion in unilateral finlines on anisotropic substrates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, 448-450, Apr. 1987.
29. Marques, R. and M. Horno, "On the spectral dyadic Green's function for stratied linear media. Application to multilayer MIC lines with anisotropic dielectrics," IEE Proceedings H (Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation), Vol. 134, No. 3, 241-248, Jun. 1987.
30. Nakatani, A. and N. Alexopoulos, "Toward a generalized algorithm for the modeling of the dispersive properties of integrated circuit structures on anisotropic substrates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, 1436-1441, Dec. 1985.
31. Kitazawa, T. and R. Mittra, "Analysis of asymmetric coupled striplines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, 643-646, Jul. 1985.
32. Maze, G., S. Tedjini, and J. L. Bonnefoy, "Analysis of a CPW on electric and magnetic biaxial substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 41, 457-461, Mar. 1993.
33. Schmidt, L. P., T. Itoh, and H. Hofmann, "Characteristics of unilateral fin-line structures with arbitrarily located slots," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 29, 352-355, Apr. 1981.