A novel wideband multilayered microstrip antennas with shorting pins and arc-shaped apertures loaded is designed and fabricated. The antenna consists of two dielectric substrates and a quasi H-shaped circular patch with five shorting pins and four arc-shaped apertures loaded on the upper layer. Multiple layers are employed to achieve wide bandwidth by stacked electromagnetic coupling. The arc-shaped apertures and shorting pins are used to excite multiple modes, which can change the cavity's electromagnetism characteristic with influencing the series-parallel connection inductance, so that the wide bandwidth is obtained. Effects of the key parameters on the wideband performance are also studied, and a set of optimum values is chosen for the antenna design. The impedance bandwidth (VSWR < 2.0) of the proposed antenna reaches 2.59 GHz with the measured results, which means the relative impedance bandwidth is expanded up to 34.7% across 6.17 to 8.76 GHz. Simulation results agree well with measured ones.
2. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, 2-24, 1981.
3. Mailloux, R. J., et al., "Microstrip array technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, 25-37, 1981.
4. Yang, G. M., R. H. Jin, G. B. Xiao, C. Vittoria, V. G. Harris, and N. X. Sun, "Ultrawideband (UWB) antennas with multiresonant split-ring loops," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 1, Jan. 2009.
5. Kaya, A., "High gain rectangular broad band microstrip antenna with embedded negative capacitor and chip resistor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 421-436, 2008.
6. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5-6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
7. Muk, C. L., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and Y. L. Chow, "Experimental study of a microstrip patch antenna with an L-shape probe," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 777-783, 2000.
8. Sadat, S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna filled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007.
9. Ansari, J. A., R. B. Ram, and P. Singh, "Analysis of a gapcoupled stacked annular ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 147-158, 2008.
10. Chiu, C. Y., H. Wong, and C. H. Chan, "Study of small wideband folded-patch-feed antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 501-505, 2007.
11. Wang, S., et al., "Design of a compact millimeter-wave microstrip antenna with bandwidth and broad beam-width," Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves, 513-519, 2007.
12. Waterhouse, R., "Small microstrip patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, 604-605, 1995.