Radio over Fiber (RoF) system has attracted much industry and research interest to extend the wireless cell coverage and reduce the cost by using the distributed remote antenna units (RAUs). However, the effective transmission fiber length in the RoF systems would be limited due to the time division duplex (TDD) mode used in the practical WiMAX access. Here, we study the transmission limitations and performances of the standard WiMAX signal for RoF systems. The throughputs and packet-losses at different fiber lengths are also investigated and analyzed. Besides, in order to increase the emitting power of the RAUs, a robust TDD switching mechanism is proposed in each RAU for RoF system.
2. Alemany, R., J. Perez, R. Llorente, V. Polo, and J. Marti, "Coexistence of WiMAX 802.16d and MB-OFDM UWB in radio over multi-mode fiber indoor systems," MWP/APMP'08, 74-77, 2008.
3. Usami, M., "Strategy for KDDI's next generation network," ICTON'08, Vol. 2, 182-189, 2008.
4. Seeds, A. J., "Radio over fiber systems," LEOS'08, 848-849, 2008.
5. Kim, H., J. H. Cho, S. Kim, K. U. Song, H. Lee, J. Lee, B. Kim, Y. Oh, J. Lee, and S. Hwang, "Radio-over-fiber system for TDD-based OFDMA wireless communication systems," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, 3419-3427, 2007.
6. Kalantari-Sabet, B., M. Mjeku, N. J. Gomes, and J. E. Mitchell, "Performance impairments in single-mode radio-over-fiber systems due to MAC constraints," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 26, 2540-2548, 2008.
7. Presi, M., K. Prince, A. Chiuchiarelli, I. Cerutti, G. Contestabile, I. Tafur Monroy, and E. Ciaramella, "Adaptive system for OFDMA WiMAX radio-over-fiber links using a directly modulated R-SOA and optical filtering ," OFC, Paper JWA74, 2009.
8. Mitchell, J. E., "Performance of OFDM at 5.8 GHz using radio over fiber link," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 1353-1354, 2008.
9. Pereira, J. P. R., "A cost model for broadband access networks: FTTx versus WiMAX ," 2nd International Conference on Access Networks and Workshops, 1-8, 2007.
10. Dutta, G. and D. Das, "Performance study of an optical backbone MAC interconnecting WiMAX base stations over a city/county area," WOCC, 1-6, 2008.
11. Nishimori, K., K. Cho, Y. Takatori, and T. Hori, "Automatic calibration method using transmitting signals of an adaptive array for TDD systems ," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 50, 1636-1640, 2001.
12. Cooper, W., J. R. Zeidler, and R. R. Bitmead, "Modeling dynamic channel-allocation algorithms in multi-BS TDD wireless networks with internet-based traffic," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 53, 783-804, 2004.
13. Yu, J., Z. Jia, T. Wang, and G. K. Chang, "A novel radio-over-fiber configuration using optical phase modulator to generate an optical mm-wave and centralized lightwave for uplink connection," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 140-142, 2007.
14. Jia, Z., J. Yu, G. Ellinas, and G. K. Chang, "Key enabling technologies for optical-wireless networks: Optical millimeter-wave generation, wavelength reuse, and architecture," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, 3452-3471, 2007.
15. Chang, G. K., J. Yu, and Z. Jia, "Novel optical-wireless access network architecture for simultaneously providing broadband wireless and wired services," OFC, OFM1, 2006.
16. Seybold, J. S., Introduction to RF Propagation, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
17. Cui, Y.-Y., Y.-Q. Sun, H.-C. Yang, and C.-L. Ruan, "A new triple-band CPW-fed monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 141-151, 2008.
18. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2D photonic band gap structure for microstrip lines," Microwave Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, 69-71, 1998.