A wideband slotted multifunctional reconfigurable antenna is proposed for WLAN/WiMAX/UWB/PCS-DCS/UMTS applications. The proposed antenna consists of monopole and spiral sections and microstrip feeding. A microstrip patch on FR4 substrate provides wideband return loss for each application. Total area of the antenna is 34×45 mm2 that satisfies all the requirements for different applications in a low profile structure. Reconfigurable design is used in this antenna using RF MEMS switches. The proposed antenna has a nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns (doughnut shape) in different frequency bands. The notch is embedded in the ground plane to improve the impedance matching, and the dimensions of this notch are optimized. Moreover, the variation of group delay is about ±2 ns in UWB application. Also a prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated, and the results are compared with those obtained from simulations. Measured return losses are in good agreement with simulated ones. The proposed antenna has the advantages of multifunctional operation, low profile, low cost and omnidirectional pattern.
2. Chiu, C. W., C. H. Chang, and Y. J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010.
3. Tze-Meng, O., K. G. Tan, and A. W. Reza, "A dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 363-376, 2010.
4. Abu, M., M. K. A. Rahim, O. B. Ayop, and F. Zubir, "Triple-band printed dipole antenna with single-band AMC-HIS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 225-244, 2010.
5. Rebeiz, G. M., "RF MEMS switches: Status of the technology," 12th International Conference on Transducers, Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, Vol. 2, 1726-1729, Jun. 2003.
6. Liu, W.-C. and Y. Dai, "Dual-broadband twin-pair inverted-L shaped strip antenna for WLAN/Wimax applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 63-73, 2011.
7. Ren, F.-C., F.-S. Zhang, J. H. Bao, Y.-C. Jiao, and L. Zhou, "Printed bluetooth and UWB antenna with dual band-notched functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 39-48, 2011.
8. Fan, S.-T., Y.-Z. Yin, H. Li, S.-J. Wei, X.-H. Li, and L. Kang, "A novel tri-band printed monopole antenna with an etched ∩-shaped slot and a parasitic ring resonator for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 61-68, 2010.
9. Bemani, M., S. Nikmehr, and H. Younesiraad, "A novel small triple band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1688-1698, 2011.
10. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
11. Li, B., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Dual rectangular ring with open-ended CPW-fed monopole antenna for Wimax/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 101-107, 2011.
12. Abaga Abessolo, M. A., A. El Moussaoui, and N. Aknin, "Dual-band monopole antenna with omega particles for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 27-34, 2011.
13. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Planar monopole UWB antenna with Unii 1/Unii 2 WLAN-band notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 277-292, 2010.
14. Song, Z.-N., Y. Ding, and K. Huang, "A compact multiband monopole antenna for WLAN/Wimax applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 147-155, 2011.
15. NashaatElsheakh, D. M., H. A. Elsadek, E. A.-F. Abdallah, H. M. El-Henawy, and M. F. Iskander, "Ultra-wide bandwidth microstrip monopole antenna by using electromagnetic band-gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 109-118, 2011.
16. Venkatarayalu, N. V. and Y.-B. Gan, "Design of a tapered slot array antenna for UWB through-wall radar," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2010.
17. Jeong, S., D. Ha, and W. J. Chappell, "A planar parasitic array antenna for tunable radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2009.
18. Rajagopalan, H., Y. Rahmat-Samii, and W. Imbiale, "RF MEMS actuated reconfigurable reflect array patch-slot element," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3689-3699, 2008.
19. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultra Wideband Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.