Over the past few years, the continuous evolution of embedded electronic systems has increased electromagnetic interferences problems. It has also generated a new design constraint on electromagnetic compatibility. Hence, predicting the electromagnetic field behavior in the vicinity of the electronic components and systems becomes a priority to avoid the potential for unwanted coupling occurrence, as well as to ensure the electromagnetic compatibility compliance for those components and systems which are embedded in a confined space. As a result, the designers of electronics' equipment are extremely interested in radiated emission models. This paper reports a comparative study in which two different methods will be applied: the equivalent source method and plane wave spectrum method. These two methods will be used to predict the magnetic field behavior in the vicinity of a microstrip patch antenna. The latter works in ISM band for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth applications. The two applied models are constructed from the tangential magnetic fields cartographies of the antenna obtained from HFSS® at 3.5 mm and validated by comparing the HFSS® results with those of the models at a higher elevation. Furthermore, the relative error between the simulated field of the antenna and those of the equivalent source model according to the dipoles number is presented to determine the minimum number of dipoles that allow users to obtain the results with better accuracy. Subsequently, the relative error as function of different elevations along the z axis together with the two methods comparison results is presented.
2. Martin, L. P., "Wi-Fi is an important threat to human health," Environmental Research, Vol. 164, 405-416, Mar. 2018.
3. Labussiere, D. C., S. Bekndhia, E. Sicard, J. Tao, H. J. Quaresma, C. Lochot, and B. Virgnon, "Modeling the electromagnetic emission of a microcontroller using a single model," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 1, 22-34, Feb. 2008.
4. Petre, P. and T. Sarkar, "Planar near-field to far-field transformation using an equivalent magneticcurrent approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 11, 1348-1356, Nov. 1992.
5. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents distribution overarbitrary three-dimensional surfaces based on integral equation algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation\, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3460-3468, Dec. 2007.
6. Vives, G. Y., "Mod´elisation des´emissions rayonn´ees de composants ´electroniques,", Universite de Rouen, Rouen, FR, 2007.
7. Vives, G. Y., C. Arcambal, A. Louis, F. de Daran, P. Eudeline, and B. Mazari, "Modeling magnetic radiations of electronic circuits using near-field scanning method," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 2, 391-400, May 2007.
8. Ramanujan, A., Z. Riah, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Computational optimizations towards an accurate and rapid electromagnetic emission modeling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 365-384, Jan. 2011.
9. Fernandez, L. P., C. Arcambal, D. Baudry, and S. Verdeyme, "Simple electromagnetic modeling procedure: From near-field measurements to commercial electromagnetic simulation Tool," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3111-3121, Dec. 2010.
10. Fernandez, P. L., C. Arcambal, and D. Baudry, "3D modeling of radiated emission of electronic components," 3th Workshop Embedded EMC 2EMC, Nov. 2010.
11. Shall, H., Z. Riah, and M. Kadi, "A 3-D near-field modeling approach for electromagnetic interference prediction," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 56, No. 1, 102-112, Feb. 2014.
12. Shall, H., Z. Riah, and M. Kadi, "rediction of 3D-near field coupling between a toro¨ıdal inductor and a transmission line," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 651-656, Denver, CO, USA, 2013.
13. Jonas, K., R. A. M. Mauermayer, O. Neitz, J. Knapp, and T. F. Eibert, "On the solution of inverse equivalent surface-source problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 165, 47-65, 2019.
14. Riah, Z., "Caracterisation et Modelisation des Phenomenes Radiatifs en Champ Proche des Composants et des Dispositifs Electroniques, Rapport HDR,", Universite de Rouen, FR, 2015.
15. Baudry, D., M. Kadi, Z. Riah, C. Arcambal, Y. V. Gilabert, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Plane wave spectrum theory applied to near-field measurements for electromagnetic compatibility investigations," IET Science Measurement and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, 72-83, Jun. 2008.
16. Volski, V., B. Ravelo, V. A. E. Vandenbosch, and D. Pissoort, "Investigation on planar near-to-far-field transformations for EMC applications," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Lisbon, Portugal, 2015.
17. Brahimi, R., A. Kornaga, M. Bensetti, D. Baudry, Z. Riah, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Postprocessing of near-field measurement based on neural networks," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 60, No. 2, 539-546, Feb. 2011.
18. Tourab, W., A. Babouri, and M. Nemamcha, "Experimental study of electromagnetic environment in the vicinity of high voltage lines," American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 4, 209-213, Jan. 2011.
19. Tourab, W., A. Babouri, and M. Nemamcha, "Characterization of the electromagnetic environment at the vicinity of power lines," International Conference on Electricity Distribution, Frankfurt, Germany, Jun. 2011.
20. Tourab, W., A. Babouri, and M. Nemamcha, "Characterization of high voltage power lines as source of electromagnetic disturbance," International Conference and Exhibition on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Rouen, France, Apr. 2012.
21. Babouri, A., A. Hedjiedj, and L. Guendouz, "Experimental and theoretical investigation of implantable cardiac pacemaker exposed to low frequency magnetic field," Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, Vol. 23, No. 2, 63-73, Apr. 2009.
22. Babouri, A. and A. Hedjiedj, "In vitro investigation of eddy current effect on pacemaker operation generated by low frequency magnetic field," International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 23-26, Lyon, France, 2007.
23. Tourab, W. and A. Babouri, "Measurement and modeling of personal exposure to the electric and magnetic fields in the vicinity of high voltage power lines," Safety and Health at Work, Vol. 7, No. 2, 102-110, Jun. 2016.
24. Rachedi, A. B., A. Babouri, and X. Zhang, "Electromagnetic pollution inside high-voltage substation," Revue Roumaine de Sciences Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 2, 178-182, Jul. 2016.
25. Coccioli, R., F.-R. Yang, K.-P. Ma, and T. Itoh, "Aperture-coupled patch antenna on UC-PBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2123-2130, Nov. 1999.
26. Chouksey, V. and G. Puran, "Review of micro strip patch antenna characteristics analysis and bandwidth enhancement by using U slot microstrip patch antenna," Communications on Applied Electronics, Vol. 7, 37-41, Nov. 2017.
27. Irfan, N., C. E. Y. Mustapha, and K. Hettak, "Design of a microstrip-line-fed inset patch antenna for RFID applications," International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 5, 558-561, Oct. 2012.