A novel and compact planar ultra-wideband wide-slot antenna with dual band-notched function is proposed. The method of creating dual band-notch function is unique from traditional ones. By embedding a U-shaped parasitic strip and a pair of T-shaped stubs in the wide slot, dual bandstops around 3.5 GHz and 5.5 GHz can be obtained. The measured results demonstrate that the proposed antenna, with a compact size of 20X32.5 mm, has a large bandwidth over the frequency band from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz with voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) less than 2, except the bandwidths of 3.3~3.7 GHz for WIMAX and 5~6 GHz for WLAN. In addition, the radiation pattern has an excellent omni-directional characteristic in the H-plane and a typical monopole like pattern in the E-plane.
2. Qiu, J., Z. Du, J. Lu, and K. Gong, "A planar monopole antenna design with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 288-292, 2006.
3. Hong, C.-Y., C.-W. Ling, I.-Y. Tarn, and S.-J. Chung, "Design of a planar ultrawideband antenna with a new band-notch structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. S.-J. Ch, 3391-3397, 2007.
4. Lee, J. N. and J. K. Park, "Impedance characteristics of trapezoidal ultra-wideband antennas with a notch function," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 5, 503-506, 2005.
5. Lee, J. N., J. K. Park, J. K. Park, and , "Design of a compact frequency-notched UWB slot antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 1, 105-107, 2006.
6. Chu, Q.-X. and Q.-X., "3.5/5.5GHz dual band-notch ultrawideband antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 3, 172-174, 2008.
7. Yin, K. and J. P. Xu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual bandstop characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 7, 453-454, 2008.
8. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
9. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
10. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low VSWR UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008.
11. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A compact ultra-wideband microstrip antenna eith multiple notches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 321-332, 2008.
12. Sze, J.-Y. and K.-L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of amicrostrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1020-1024, 2001.