The paper presents integrated probe for direct coupling to the WR-10 waveguide with the use of metal filled vias on both sides of the microstrip line. Design and optimization of this novel microstrip-to-waveguide transition has been performed using 3-D finite element method based software HFSS (High Frequency Structure Simulator). A back-to-back transition has been fabricated and measured between 75--110 GHz. The measured return loss is higher than 10 dB and the insertion loss for a single microstrip-to-waveguide transition is about 1.15 dB.
2. Bai, R., Y.-L. Dong, and J. Xu, "Broadband waveguide-to-microstrip antipodal finline transition without additional resonance preventer," IEEE Int. Symp. Microw. Antenna, Propagation, and EMC Tech. for Wireless Comm., 385-388, 2007.
3. Kaneda, N., Y. X. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A broad-band microstrip-to-waveguide transition using quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2562-2567, Dec. 1999.
4. Grabherr, W., B. Huder, and W. Menzel, "Microstrip to waveguide transition compatible with mm-wave integrated circuits ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 9, 1842-1843, Sep. 1994.
5. Leong, Y.-C. and S. Weinreb, "Full band waveguide-to-microstrip probe transitions," IEEE MTT-S Symp. Dig., Vol. 4, 1435-1438, 1999.
6. Nguyen, B. D., C. Migliaccio, C. Pichot, and N. Rolland, "Design of microstrip to waveguide transition in the W band suitable antenna or integrated circuits connections," Microw. Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 6, 518-520, Dec. 2005.
7. Weinreb, S., T. Gaier, R. Lai, M. Barsky, Y. C. Leong, and L. Samoska, "High-gain 150-215 GHz MMIC amplifier with integral waveguide transitions," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, No. 7, 282-284, Jul. 1999.
8. Ponchak, G. E., D. Chun, J.-G. Yook, and L. P. B. Katehi, "The use of metal filled via holes for improving isolation in LTCC RF and wireless multichip packages," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 23, No. 1, 88-99, Feb. 2009.