In this paper, a novel view of a switched reluctance motor under dynamic eccentricity fault to provide the precise and reliable electromagnetics model is presented. It describes the performance characteristics and comparison results of the 6/4 switched reluctance motor with dynamic rotor eccentricity utilizing three-dimensional finite element analysis. The results obtained using three-dimensional finite element analysis of the switched reluctance motor includes flux-linkages, terminal inductance per phase, mutual inductances and static torque for various eccentric motor conditions. In this analysis the end effects and axial fringing fields for simulating reliable model are obtained and presented. The paper continues with comparing these results with the ones obtained for the same motor profile but utilizing two-dimensional finite element method. Finally, Fourier analysis is carried out to study the variations of torque harmonics.
2. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Comprehensive magnetic field-based study on effects of static rotor eccentricity in switched reluctance motor parameters utilizing three-dimensional finite element," Electromagnetics, Vol. 29, No. 5, 421-433, Taylor and Francis, 2009.
3. Guldemir, H., "Detection of airgap eccentricity using line current spectrum of induction motors," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 64, No. 2, 109-117, Elsevier, 2003.
4. Sheth, N. K. and K. R. Rajagopal, "Variations in overall developed torque of a switched reluctance motor with air-gap nonuniformity," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 10, 3973-3975, 2005.
5. Husain, I., A. Radun, and J. Nairus, "Unbalanced force calculation in switched-reluctance machines," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 1, 330-338, 2000.
6. Faiz, J. and S. Pakdelian, "Finite element analysis of switched reluctance motor under dynamic eccentricity fault," 12th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, 1042-1046, 2006.
7. Dorrell, D. G., I. Chindurza, and C. Cossar, "Effects of rotor eccentricity on torque in switched reluctance machines," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 10, 3961-3963, 2005.
8. Sheth, N. K. and K. R. Rajagopal, "Effects of nonuniform air-gap on the torque characteristics of a switched reluctance motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 40, No. 4, 2032-2034, 2004.
9. Geldhof, K. R., T. J. Vyncke, F. M. L. L. De Belie, L. Vandevelde, J. A. A. Melkebeek, and R. K. Boel, "Embedded runge-kutta methods for the integration of a current control loop in an SRM dynamic finite element model," IET Science. Meas. Technology., 17-20, 2007.
10. Parreira, B., S. Rafael, A. J. Pires, and P. J. Costa Branco, "Obtaining the magnetic characteristics of an 8/6 switched reluctance machine: From FEM analysis to the experimental tests," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1635-1643, 2005.
11. Kamper, M. J., S. W. Rasmeni, and R.-J. Wang, "Finite-element Time-step simulation of the switched reluctance machine drive under single pulse mode operation," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 7, 3202-3208, 2007.
12. Sixdenier, F., L. Morel, and J. P. Masson, "Introducing dynamic behaviour of magnetic materials into a model of a switched reluctance motor drive," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 3, 398-404, 2006.
13. Faiz, J. and B. M. Ebrahimi, "Mixed fault diagnosis in three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor using analysis of air-gap magnetic field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 239-255, 2006.
14. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Time stepping finite element analysis of broken bars fault in a three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 53-70, 2007.
15. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, M. Valavi, and H. A. Toliyat, "Mixed eccentricity fault diagnosis in salient-pole synchronous generator using modified winding function method," Progress In Electromagnetics ResearchB, Vol. 11, 155-172, 2009.
16., , Magnet CAD package: User Manual, Infolytica Corporation Ltd., Montreal, Canada, 2007.
17. Afjei, E., A. Sydatan, and H. Torkaman, "A new two phase bidirectional hybrid switched reluctance motor/field-assisted generator," Journal of Applied Science, Vol. 9, No. 4, 765-770, 2009.
18. Nandi, S., H. A. Toliyat, and X.-D. Li, "Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of electrical motors --- A review," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 4, 719-729, 2005.
19. Li, J., D. Choi, and Y. Cho, "Analysis of rotor eccentricity in switched reluctance motor with parallel winding using FEM," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2851-2854, 2009.
20. Dorrell, D. G. and C. Cossar, "A vibration-based condition monitoring system for switched reluctance machine rotor eccentricity detection," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 9, 2204-2214, 2008.