The scattering analysis from metallic Grid FSS consisting of rectangular perforations on a thick metallic screen illuminated by an oblique incident plane wave is presented. The grid structure is analyzed using Scale Changing Technique (SCT) which is based on the partition of the grid-plane into planar sub-domains defined at various scalelevels. Electromagnetic interaction between subsequent scales is modeled by mutually independent Scale-Changing Networks and finally the complete structure is simply represented by a cascade of these networks. Very good agreement is obtained between simulation results from SCT and the Finite Element Method (FEM) when computing the reflection/transmission coefficients and electromagnetic field backscattered by thick and finite size frequency selective surfaces. The computation time is significantly reduced when using SCT-based software compared with the FEM simulation tool.
2. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of an infinite array of rectangular microstrip patches with idealized probe feeds," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, 1101-1107, Oct. 1984.
3. Pozar , D. M., "Analysis of an infinite phased array of aperture coupled microstrip patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 418-425, Apr. 1989.
4. Cadoret, D., A. Laisne, R. Gillard, and H. Legay, "Design and measurement of new reflectarray antenna using microstrip patches loaded with slot," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, No. 11, 623-624, May 2005.
5. Mittra, R. , C. H. Chan, and T. Cwik, "Techniques for analyzing requency selective surfaces a review," Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 76, No. 12, 1593-1615, Dec. 1988.
6. Wan, C. and J. A. Encinar, "Efficient computation of generalized scattering matrix for analyzing multilayered periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, 1233-1242, Oct. 1995.
7. Bardi, I. , R. Remski, D. Perry, and Z. Cendes, "Plane wave scattering from frequency selective surfaces by finite element method," IEEE Transactions Magazine, Vol. 38, No. 2, 641-644, Mar. 2002.
8. Harms, P. , R. Mittra, and K. Wae, "Implementation of periodic boundary condition infinite-difference time-domain algorithm for FSS structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 1317-1324, Sep. 1994.
9. Pilz, D. and W. Menzel, "Full wave analysis of a planar reflector antenna," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Dec. 1997.
10. Sarkar, T. K. and S. M. Rao, "The application of conjugate gradient method for the solution of electromagnetic scattering from arbitrarily oriented wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 4, 398-403, Apr. 1984.
11. Sarkar, T. K. and S. M. Rao, "An iterative method for solving electrostatic problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 4, 611-616, Jul. 1982.
12. Mittra , R., J.-F. Ma, E. Lucente, and A. Monorhio, "CBMOM --- An iteration free MoM approach for solving large multiscale EM radiation and scattering problems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2B, 2-5, Jul. 3-8, 2005.
13. Lucente, E., A. Monorchio, and R. Mittra, "Generation of characteristic basis functions by using sparse MoM impedance matrix to construct the solution of large scattering and radiation problems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 4091-4094, 2006.
14. Aubert, H., "The concept of scale-changing network in the global electromagnetic simulation of complex structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 127-154, 2009.
15. Tao, J. W. and H. Baudrand, "Multimodal variational analysis of uniaxial waveguide discontinuities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 3, 506-516, Mar. 1991.
16. Voyer, D. , H. Aubert, and J. David, "Scale-changing technique for the electromagnetic modeling of planar self-similar structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2783-2789, Oct. 2006.
17. Voyer, D., H. Aubert, and J. David, "Radar cross section of discrete self-similar objects using a recursive electromagnetic analysis," IEEE AP-S International Symposium and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Monterey, Vol. 4, 4260-4263, California, USA, Jun. 20-26, 2004.
18. Voyer, D. , H. Aubert, and J. David, "Radar cross section of self-similar targets," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 4, 215-217, Feb. 17, 2005.
19. Tahir, F. A., et al., "Full wave analysis of planar structures using scale changing technique under feed horn excitation," Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 445-448, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 8-9, 2010.
20. Perret, E. and H. Aubert, "A multi-scale technique for the electromagnetic modeling of active antennas," IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas Propagation and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Vol. 4, 3923-3926, Monterey, California, USA, Jun. 20-25, 2004.
21. Perret, E. , H. Aubert, and , "Scale-changing technique for the computation of the input impedance of active patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 326-328, 2005.
22. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd Ed., 588-591, IEEE Press, 1990.
23. Vardaxoglou, J. C., Frequency Selective Surfaces, John Wiley and Sons, 1997.
24. Ansoft HFSS website, , http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss/.