It is highly desirable to use advanced sensor networks to continuously monitor the structural health of an aircraft. It would be advantageous if the network was wireless to avoid the need for additional wire bundles and associated interconnects but the reliability of a suitable wireless channel in low loss enclosed structures needs to be understood. This paper reports on work undertaken testing the 2.4 GHz ZigBee wireless protocol in a mode stirred and mode tuned reverberation chamber. The results show that even for very low loss enclosures wireless communications is possible but only under very specific conditions. A higher loss chamber has more reliable communication channels, but even with loading there are large variations in packet error rates even between adjacent ZigBee channels.
2. Yedavalli, R. K. and R. K. Belapurkav, "Application of wireless sensor networks to aircraft control and health management systems," J. Control Theory Appl., Vol. 9, No. 1, 28-33, 2011.
3. Harman, R., "Wireless solutions for aircraft condition based main- tenance systems," Proceedings of IEEE Aerospace Conference, 6- 2877-6-2886, 2002.
4. Dawson, J. F., D. C. Hope, M. Panitz, and C. Christopoulos, "Wireless networks in vehicles," IET Seminar on Electromagnetic Propagation in Structures and Buildings, 1-6, Dec. 2008.
5. Hope, D., J. Dawson, A. Marvin, M. Panitz, C. Christopoulos, and P. Sewell, "Assessing the performance of ZigBee in a reverberant environment using a mode stirred chamber," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Detroit, Aug. 2008.
6., "ZigBee specification,", ZigBee Alliance, http://www.zigbee.org-/Specifications.aspx..
7. Panitz, M., C. Christopoulos, P. Sewell, D. C. Hope, J. F. Dawson, A. C. Marvin, T. Salo, E. Fearon, K. G. Watkins, G. Deardon, and C. D. Harley, "The opportunities and challenged associated with wireless interconnects in aircraft," Proceedings I. MechE Pt. G, J. Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 224, No. 4, 459-470, 2010.
8. Panitz, M., C. Christopoulos, P. Sewell, D. C. Hope, J. F. Dawson, and A. C. Marvin, "Modelling wireless communication in highly- multipath low-loss environments," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility - EMC Europe 2008, 709-714, Hamburg, 2008.
9. Ferrara, G., M. Migliaccio, and A. Sorrentino, "Characterization of GSM non-line-of-sight propagation channels generated in a reverberating chamber by using bit error rates," IEEE Transaction on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 3, 467-473, 2007.
10. Arnaut, L. R. and P. D. West, "Evaluation of the NPL untuned stadium reverberation chamber using mechanical and electronic stirring techniques,", NPL Rep. CEM 11, 1998, Available online: http://publications.npl.co.uk/npl web/pdf/cem11.pdf..