The simulation of nonlinear loaded high-speed microstrip interconnects by means of a convolution-based procedure is described when both, analytical and measured scattering parameters are used. Closed-form equations are employed to obtain the analytical scattering parameters. The influence of measured scattering parameters, when these are used instead the analytical ones, is investigated to know how the microstrip interconnect responses are affected. The convolution procedure is complemented by including the transmission line linear equation and the microwave circuit reflection theory. S
2. Liu, T. K. and F. M. Tesche, "Analysis of antennas and scatterers with nonlinear loads," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 24, 131-139, Mar. 1976.
3. Yang, Y. E., J. A. Kong, and Q. Gu, "Time-domain perturbational analysis on nonuniformly coupled transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, 1120-1130, Nov. 1985.
4. Gu, Q., Y. E. Yang, and J. A. Kong, "Transient analysis of frequency-dependent transmission line systems terminated with nonlinear loads," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 3, 183-197, 1989.
5. Djordjevic, A. R., T. K. Sarkar, and R. F.Harrington, "Analysis of lossy transmission lines with arbitrary nonlinear terminal networks," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 34, 660-666, Jun. 1986.
6. Djordjevic, A. R., T. K. Sarkar, and R. F. Harrington, "Time-domain response of multiconductor transmission lines," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 75, 743-764, Jun. 1987.
7. Komuro, T., "Time-domain analysis of lossy transmission lines with arbitrary terminal networks," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. 38, 1160-1164, Oct. 1991.
8. Gu, Q., D. M. Sheen, and S. M. Ali, "Analysis of transients in frequency-dependent interconnections and planar circuits with nonlinear loads," IEE Proceedings-H, Vol. 139, 38-44, Feb. 1992.
9. Lin, S. and E. S. Kuh, "Transient simulation of lossy interconnects based on the recursive convolution formulation," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. 39, 879-892, Nov. 1992.
10. Pan, G. W., G. Wang, and B. K. Gilbert, "Analysis of nonlinear termination networks for coupled lossy and dispersive transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 531-535, Mar. 1993.
11. Chu, Q. X., F. Y. Chang, Y. P. Lau, and O. Wing, "Time- domain model synthesis of microstrip," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 7, 9-11, Jan. 1997.
12. Achar, R. and M. S. Nakhla, "Effcient transient simulation of embedded subnetworks characterized by S-parameters in the presence of nonlinear elements," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, 2356-2363, Dec. 1998.
13. Green, K. and R. Sobolewski, "Extending scattering-parameter approach to characterization of linear time-varying microwave devices," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 1725-1731, Oct. 2000.
14. Chiang, I. T. and W. C. Chew, "Fast real-time convolution algorithm for transients of nonlinearly-terminated microwave multiport circuits," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 39, 280-282, Nov. 2003.
15. Li, E. P., E. X. Liu, L. W. Li, and M. S. Leong, "A coupled e±cient and systematic full-wave time-domain macromodeling and circuit simulation method for signal integrity analysis of high- speed interconnects," IEEE Trans. Adv. Pack., Vol. 27, 213-223, Nov. 2004.
16. Chiang, I. T. and W. C. Chew, "Fast real-time convolution algorithm for microwave multiport networks with nonlinear terminations," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 52, 370-375, Jul. 2005.
17. Lee, J. Y., H. H. Lee, and H. K. Jung, "Linear lumped loads in the FDTD method using piecewise linear recursive convolution method," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 16, 158-160, Apr. 2006.
18. Zhong, B., S. L. Dvorak, and J. L. Prince, "Transient simulation of lossy interconnects based on a dispersive hybrid phase-pole macromodel," IEEE Trans. Adv. Pack., Vol. 30, 321-334, May 2007.
19. Tesche, F. M., "On the analysis of a transmission line with nonlinear terminations using the time dependent BLT equation," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 49, 427-433, May 2007.
20. Su, D. Y., D. M. Fu, and Z. H. Chen, "Numerical modeling of active devices characterized by measured S-parameters in FDTD," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 381-392, 2008.
21. Deschrijver, D., T. Dhaene, and D. de Zutter, "Robust parametric macromodeling using multivariate orthonormal vector fitting," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 56, 1661-1667, Jul. 2008.
22. Lalgudi, S. N., E. Engin, G. Casinovi, and M. Swaminathan, "Accurate transient simulation of interconnects characterized by band-limited data with propagation delay enforcement in a modified nodal analysis framework," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 50, 715-729, Aug. 2008.
23. Eudes, T., B. Ravelo, and A. Louis, "Transient response characterization of the high-speed interconnection RLCG-model for the signal integrity analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 183-197, 2011.
24. Liao, H. and W. Dai, "Scattering parameter transient analysis of interconnect networks with nonlinear terminations using recursive convolution," Proceedings of the Synthesis and Simulation Meeting and International Interchange, 295-304, Oct. 1993.
25. Celik, M., L. Pileggi, and A. Obadasioglu, IC Interconnect Analysis, Boston, Kluwer, MA, 2002.
26. Chiu, C. N. and I. T. Chiang, "A fast approach for simulating long-time response of high-speed dispersive and lossy interconnects terminated with nonlinear loads," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 153-171, 2009.
27. Ferranti, F., L. Knockaert, and T. Dhaene, "Parameterized S-parameter based macromodeling with guaranteed passivity," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 19, 608-610, Oct. 2009.
28. Ferranti, F., L. Knockaert, and T. Dhaene, "Guaranteed passive parameterized admittance-based macromodeling," IEEE Trans. Adv. Pack., Vol. 33, 623-629, Aug. 2010.
29. Triverio, P., M. Nakhla, and S. Grivet-Talocia, "Passive parametric modeling of interconnects and packaging components from sampled impedance, admittance or scattering data," 3rd Electronic System Integration Technology Conference, 1-6, Sep. 2010.
30. Triverio, P., M. Nakhla, and S. Grivet-Talocia, "Extraction of parametric circuit models from scattering parameters of passive RF components," 2010 European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference, 393-396, Sep. 2010.
31. Ferranti, F., L. Knockaert, T. Dhaene, and G. Antonini, "Passivity-preserving parametric macromodeling for highly dy namic tabulated data based on Lur'e equations," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, 3688-3696, Dec. 2010.
32. Jimenez, A. D., A. S. Santoyo, and F. J. Mendieta, "On the synthesis of some ring junctions for six-port measurement applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 5, 559-563, Oct. 1992.
33. Jimenez, A. D., "Lumped- and distributed-element equivalent circuits for some symmetrical multiport signal-sepaatiron structures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 9, 1537-1544, Sep. 1997.
34. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 716, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY, 1998.
35. Jimenez, A. D., "Estudio de estructuras hexaportales aplicables a analizadores de redes de microondas,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Centrode Investigacion Cientifica y de Educacion Superior de Ensenada (CICESE), Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, 1993 Availableat: http://biblioteca.cicese.mx/catalogo/tesis/..
36. Montgomery, C. G., R. H. Dicke, and E. M. Purcell, Principles of Microwave Circuits, 149, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1948.
37. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 170-176, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1966.
38. Jimenez, A. D., 2-D Electromagnetic Simulation of Passive Microstrip Circuits, 274, CRC Press a Taylor and Francis Company, Boca Raton, Florida, 2009.
39. Jimenez, A. D., "Frequency- and time-domain simulation of microstrip squares by using 2D-FDTD electromagnetic analyses," International Workshop on Recent Advances in Microwave & Optical Communication Technology Proceedings, in association with 12th Int. Symp. Microw. Opt. Tech., SRM University,Chennai, India, Dec. 2009.
40. Jimenez, A. D., "Frequency- and time-domain simulation of microstrip squares by using 2D-FDTD electromagnetic analyses," Int. Journal Microw. Opt. Tech., Vol. 5, 1-6, Jan. 2010.
41. Ambrozkiewicz, M., P. Lorenz, and W. Kraemer, "Equivalent circuits of the transition from coaxial to microstrip transmission line on PCBs," Lecture, Rohde & Schwarz GmbH & Co. KG, Jun. 2008.
42. Peterson, A. F. and G. D. Durgin, Transient Signals on Transmission Lines: An Introduction to Non-ideal Effects and Signal Integrity Issues in Electrical Systems, 143, Morgan & Claypool Publishers, San Francisco, California, 2009.
43. Shockley, W., "Electrons and Holes in Semiconductors with Applications to Transistor Electronics," D. Van Nostrand Company, 1950.
44. Yang, W. Y., W. Cao, T. S. Chung, and J. Morris, "Applied Numerical Methods Using Matlabr®," John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2005.
45. Bandler, J. W., R. M. Biernacki, and S. H. Chen, "Toward direct EM optimization of VLSI interconnects: Validation of coupled transmission line models," 1995 Canadian Conf. Electrical and Computer Engineering, 377-380, 1995.
46. Sainati, R. A. and T. J. Moravec, "Estimating high speed circuit interconnect performance," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. 36, 533-540, Apr. 1989.