Existing focusing techniques for Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) rely on migration of 2D or 3D images to remove clutter originating from objects laterally offset from the antenna. In applications requiring real-time focusing, a method operating on 1D trace data is required. This paper presents a new algorithm for focusing GPR images, the Vertical Offset Filter (VOF), using simulated and real GPR data.
2. Leucci, G., S. Negri, and M. T. Carrozzo, "Ground penentrating radar (GPR): An application for evaluating the state of maintenance of the building coating," Annals of Geophysics, Vol. 46, No. 3, 481-489, 2003.
3. Willett, D., K. Mahboub, and B. Rister, "Accuracy of ground-penetrating radar for pavement-layer thickness analysis," Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 132, No. 1, 96-103, 2006.
4. Chen, Y. L. and J. J. Chow, "Ground penetrating radar signal processing improves mapping accuracy of underground voids and seawater table: An application in deteriorating coastal structure, nanfango port, taiwan," Environmental Geology, Vol. 53, 445-455, 2007.
5. Rappaport, C., M. El-Shenawee, and H. Zhan, "Suppressing GPR clutter from randomly rough ground surfaces to enhance nonmetallic mine detection," Subsurface Sensing Technologies and Applications, Vol. 4, No. 4, 311-326, 2003.
6. Daniels, D., Geound-Penetrating Radar, IET, New York, 2004.
7. Bloemenkamp, R. and E. Slob, "The effect of the elevation of GPR antennas on data quality," 2nd International Workshop on Advanced GPR, 2003.
8. Tzanis, A., "Matgpr: A freeware matlab package for the analysis of common-offset GPR data," Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 8, No. 09448, 2006.
9. Plumb, R. G. and C. Leuschen, "A class of migration algorithms for ground penetrating radar data," IGARSS99, 2519-2521, 1999.
10. Ozdemir, C., S. Demirci, and E. Yigit, "Practical algorithms to focus B-scan GPR images: Theory and application to real data," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 6, 109-122, 2008.
11. Upadhyay, S., Seismic Reflection Processing, Springer, 2007.
12. Van Der Merwe, A. and I. J. Gupta, "A novel signal processing technique for clutter reduction in GPR measurements of small, shallow land mines," GeoRS, Vol. 38, No. 6, 2627-2638, 2000.
13. Kovalenko, V., A. G. Yaravoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "A novel clutter suppression algorithm for landmine detection with GPR," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 11, 3740-3751, 2007.