The diffraction field asymptotics on the edges of a slot in the plane conducting screen and of a complementary strip is considered using the exact solutions of corresponding stationary diffraction problems, which have been derived before on the bases of the slot (strip) field expansions into discrete Fourier series. It is shown that as nearing the slot (strip) edges, the fields decrease or increase indefinitely in magnitude by the power law with an exponent of modulus less than unity, so the given exact diffraction solutions yield finite value of electromagnetic energy density in any point of space.
2. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon, Oxford, 1969.
3. Honl, H., A. W. Maue, and K. Westpfahl, Theorie der Beugung, Springer, Berlin, 1961 (in German)..
4. Jones, D. S., Acoustic and Electromagnetic Waves, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1989.
5. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan, New York, 1971.
6. Meixner, J., "The behavior of electromagnetic FIelds at edges," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 20, No. 4, 442-446, 1972.
7. Shevchenko, V. V., Continuous Transitions in Open Waveguides, Golem, Boulder, 1971.
8. Serdyuk, V. M., "Exact solutions for electromagnetic wave diffraction by a slot and strip," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 65, No. 3, 182-189, 2011.
9. Imran, A., Q. A. Naqvi, and K. Hongo, "Diffraction of electromagnetic plane wave by an impedance strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 303-318, 2007.
10. Imran, A., Q. A. Naqvi, and K. Hongo, "Diffraction from a slit in an impedance plane placed at the interface of two semi-infinite half spaces of different media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 191-209, 2008.
11. Naveed, M., Q. A. Naqvi, and K. Hongo, "Diffraction of EM plane wave by a slit in an impedance plane using Malyuzhinets function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 265-273, 2008.
12. Ayub, M., A. B. Mann, M. Ramzan, and M. H. Tiwana, "Diffraction of plane waves by a slit in an infinite soft-hard plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 103-131, 2009.
13. Machac, J., V. Kotlan, and M. Snajdr, "Modes on a conductor-backed slotline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 151-164, 2008.
14. Sommerfeld, A., "Mathematische theorie der diffraktion," Mathematische Annalen, Vol. 47, No. 1, 317-374, 1896 (in German)..
15. Weinstein, L. A., The Theory of Diffraction and the Factorization Method, Golem, Boulder, 1969.
16. Hamming, R. W., Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers, Mc Graw-Hill, New York, 1962.
17. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, 1964.
18. Prudnikov, A. P., Y. A. Brychkov, and O. I. Marichev, Integrals and Series, Elementary Functions, Vol. 1, Gordon and Breach, New York, 1986.