This paper deals with resonant transmission through a pair of ridge-loaded circular sub-wavelength apertures in an infinite perfect electric conductor (PEC) plane. The effect of the distance between the two resonant circular sub-wavelength apertures allocated along the ridge direction (``parallel'' case) and perpendicular to the ridge direction (``collinear'' case) on the transmission cross section (TCS) is analyzed numerically by using a method of moments (MoM). It is found that the TCS for the parallel case varies more sensitively to the distance than that for the collinearly located case, and the maximum TCS for the parallel case is tripled compared to the TCS value of a single resonant aperture. For the case of maximum TCS in the parallel configuration, the directivity in the broadside direction is about 8.76 times (=9.43 dB) compared to that for the single resonant aperture. For the purpose of validation, the single resonant aperture and a pair of resonant apertures in the parallel configuration with a distance for maximum TCS are fabricated on a stainless steel plate with 0.3 mm thickness, and their transmission characteristics are measured. Experimental results show that the transmittance, which is a transmitted power density measured at 50 cm away from the aperture plane, for the parallel resonant apertures is about 7 times (=8.43 dB) higher than that for the single aperture, which agrees well with the simulation.
2. Shi, X., L. Hesselink, and R. L. Thornton, "Ultrahigh light transmission through a C-shaped nanoaperture," Optics Letters, Vol. 28, No. 15, 1320-1322, 2003.
3. Sun, M., R. Liu, Z. Li, B. Cheng, D. Zhang, H. Yang, and A. Jin, "Enhanced near-infrared transmission through periodic H-shaped arrays," Physics Letters A, Vol. 365, 510-513, 2007.
4. Yeo, J., J. W. Ko, J. E. Park, and Y. K. Cho, "FDTD analysis of resonant transmission in an electrically small circular aperture with a ridge," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
5. Ko, J. W., J. Yeo, J. E Park, S. Y. Choi, and Y. K. Cho, "Resonant transmission of a class of sub-wavelength apertures in thin conducting screen," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2008.
6. Park, J. E., J. Yeo, J. I. Lee, J. W. Ko, and Y. K. Cho, "Resonant transmission of an electrically small aperture with a ridge," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1981-1990, 2009.
7. Harrington, R. F., "Resonant behavior of a small aperture backed by a conducting body," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 2, 205-212, 1982.
8. Kang, L., V. Sadaune, and D. Lippens, "Numerical analysis of enhanced transmission through a single subwavelength aperture based on Mie resonance single particle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 211-226, 2011.
9. Lockyear, M. J., A. P. Hibbins, J. R. Sambles, and C. R. Lawrence, "Enhanced microwave transmission through a single subwave-length aperture surrounded by concentric grooves," Journal of Optics A, Vol. 7, S152-S158, 2005.
10. Akarca-Biyikli, S. S., I. Bulu, and E. Ozbay, "Resonant excitation of surface plasmons in one-dimensional metallic grating structures at microwave frequencies," Journal of Optics A, Vol. 7, S159-S164, 2005.
11. Caglayan, H., I. Bulu, and E. Ozbay, "Extraordinary grating-coupled microwave transmission through a subwavelength annular aperture," Optics Express, Vol. 13, No. 5, 1666-1671, 2005.
12. Bilotti, F., L. Scorrano, E. Ozbay, and L. Vegni, "Enhanced transmission through a sub-wavelength aperture: Resonant approaches employing metamaterials," ournal of Optics A, Vol. 11, 114029, 2009.
13. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
14. Yu, W. and R. Mittra, CFDTD: Conformal Finite Difference Time Domain Maxwell's Equations Solver, Software and User's Guide, Artech House, 2003.
15. Carter, P. S., "Circuit relations in radiating systems and applications to antenna problems," Proc. of the IRE, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1004-1041, 1932.
16. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 1997.
17. Cho, Y. K., K. W. Kim, J. H. Ko, and J. I. Lee, "Transmission through a narrow slot in a thick conducting screen," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 3, 813-816, 2009.