In this paper, super-resolution imaging and negative refraction by a two-dimensional (2D) triangular lattices graded photonic crystal (GPC) were studied. The graded photonic crystal (GPC) was obtained by varying the radius in each row so that its effective refractive index changes along the transverse direction. By using Plane Wave Expansion (PWE) method and Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method, we show that negative refraction and superlensing can be realized in the designed graded photonic crystal. Numerical simulations show that the photonic crystal structures and frequency have an impact on the resolution.
2. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966, 2000.
3. Shelby, R. A., et al., "Microwave transmission through a two-dimensional, isotropic, lefthanded metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 78, 489-491, 2001.
4. Houck, A. A., J. B. Brock, and I. L. Chuang, "Experimental observations of a left-handed material that obeys Snell's law," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, 137401, 2003.
5. Aydin, K., I. Bulu, and E. Ozbay, "Subwavelength resolution with a negative-index metamaterial superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 254102, 2007.
6. Lu, W. T. and S. Sridhar, "Flat lens without optical axis: Theory of imaging," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 10673, 2005.
7. Notomi, M., "Theory of light propagation in strongly modulated photonic crystals: Refraction like behavior in the vicinity of the photonic band gap," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 62, 10696, 2000.
8. Luo, C., S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and J. B. Pendry, "All-angle negative refraction without negative effective index," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 201104, 2002.
9. Foteinopoulou, S. and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refraction and left-handed behavior in two-dimensional photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, 235107, 2003.
10. Berrier, A., M. Mulot, M. Swillo, M. Qiu, L. Thylen, A. Talneau, and S. Anand, "Negative refraction at infrared wavelengths in a two-dimensional photonic crystal," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 073902, 2004.
11. Hsu, H. T, T. W. Chang, T. J. Yang, B. H. Chu, C. J. Wu, and , "Analysis of wave properties in photonic crystal narrowband filters with left-handed defect," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2285-2298, 2010.
12. Dong, G., J. Zhou, X. Yang, and X. Meng, "Multi-refraction with same polarization state in two dimensional triangular photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 91-103, 2012.
13. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008.
14. Wang, X., Z. Ren, and K. Kempa, "Unrestricted superlensing in a triangular two-dimensional photonic crystal," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, 2919, 2004.
15. Gajic, R. , R. Meisels, F. Kuchar, and K. Hingerl, "All-angle left-handed negative refraction in Kagome and honeycomb lattice photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 165310, 2006.
16. Jin, Y. and S. L. He, "Negative refraction of complex lattices of dielectric cylinders," Phy. Lett. A, Vol. 360, 461, 2007.
17. Dong, G. Y., X. L. Yang, and L. Z. Cai, "Anomalous refractive effects in honeycomb lattice photonic crystals formed by holographic lithography," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 16302, 2010.
18. Sun, J., Y. F. Shen, J. Chen, L. G. Wang, L. L. Sun, J. Wang, K. Han, and G. Tang, "Imaging properties of a two-dimensional photonic crystal with rectangular air holes embedded in a silicon slab," Photon. Nanostructures, Vol. 8, 163, 2010.
19. Luo, C., S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and J. B. Pendry, "Subwavelength imaging in photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 68, 045115, 2003.
20. Zhang, X., "Image resolution depending on slab thickness and object distance in a two-dimensional photonic-crystal-based superlens," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, 195110, 2004.
21. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 1995.
22. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 114, 185, 1994.
23. Cabuz, A. I. , E. Centeno, and D. Cassagne, "Superprism effect in bidimensional rectangular photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett.,, Vol. 84, 2031, 2004.
24. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1995.
25. Benedicto, J., R. Pollµes, A. Moreau, and E. Centeno, "Large negative lateral shifts due to negative refraction," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, 2539, 2011.
26. Shi, P., K. Huang, and Y. P. Li, "Enhance the resolution of photonic crystal negative refraction imaging by metal grating," Opt. Lett., Vol. 37, 359, 2012.
27. Krayzel, F., R. Pollµes, A. Moreau, M. Mihailovic, and G. Granet, "Simulation and analysis of exotic non-specular phenomena," J. Europ. Opt. Soc. Rap. Public., Vol. 5, 10025, 2010.
28. Ruan, Z. C., "Dispersion engineering: Negative refraction and designed surface plasmons in periodic structures,", Ph.D. Thesis in Microelectronics and Applied Physics Stockholm, 31-35, Sweden, 2007.