Multipactor effect is studied in a hollow elliptical waveguide carrying two orthogonal polarization modes, i.e., the fundamental (TEc11) and the second (TEs11) elliptical waveguide modes. The introduction of a modal equivalent voltage allows defining the standard axial ratio, which characterizes each polarization state of the problem. The RF breakdown threshold is determined as a function of the axial ratio for various amplitudes and phases of the two elliptical modes. In particular, the effect of the second mode on the RF breakdown threshold of the fundamental mode is studied. The simulations are carried out for different values of the eccentricity of the ellipse eccentricity.
2. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and S. Esfandiarpour, "Wideband H-plane horn antenna based on ridge substrate integrated waveguide (RSIW)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 85-88, 2012.
3. Esfandiarpour, S. and A. Frotanpour, "Analysis of a novel V-shape feed line for log-periodic dipole array antenna," 2015 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 1-2, Mar. 2015.
4. Hatch, A. J. and H. B. Williams, "Multipactor modes of high-frequency gaseous breakdown," The Physical Review, Vol. 112, No. 3, 681-685, 2nd Series, Nov. 1958.
5. Vaughan, J. R. M., "Multipactor," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 35, No. 7, 1172-1180, Jul. 1988.
6. Kishek, R. A., Y. Y. Lau, L. K. Ang, A. Valfells, and R. M. Gilgenbach, "Multipactor discharge on metals and dielectrics: Historical review and recent theories," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 5, No. 5, 2120-2126, May 1998.
7. Frotanpour, A., G. Dadashzadeh, and M. Shahabadi, "Investigation of multipactor effect on return loss degradation," 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1739-1742, 2011.
8. Sombrin, J., "Effet multipactor," CNES Technical Report, No. 83/DRT/TIT/HY/119/T, CNES, Toulouse, France, 1983.
9. Woode, A. and J. Petit, "Diagnostic investigations into the multipactor effect, susceptibility zone measurements and parameters affecting a discharge,", Technical Report, ESA/ESTEC Working Paper No. 1556, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, Nov. 1989.
10., Space Engineering: Multipacting Design and Test, ESA Publication Division, The Netherlands, ECSS-20-01A, edited by ESA-ESTEC, May 2003.
11. Lara, J., F. Pérez, M. Alfonseca, L. Galán, I. Montero, E. Román, and D. Raboso, "Multipactor prediction for on-board spacecraft RF equipment with theMEST software tool," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 34, No. 2, 476-484, Apr. 2006.
12. Anza, S., C. Vicente, D. Raboso, J. Gil, B. Gimeno, and V. E. Boria, "Enhanced prediction of multipaction breakdown in passive waveguide components including space charge effects," IEEE 2008 International Microwave Symposium, 1095-1098, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Jun. 2008.
13. Wang, C., K. Y. Hsieh, L. H. Chang, M. C. Lin, and K. R. Chu, "A tunable reflecting load for multipactor processing of the RF power coupler of a superconducting cavity," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1285-1290, Jun. 2007.
14. Zimmermann, F., "A simulation study of electron cloud instability and beam induced multipacting in the LHC,", CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, CERN-LHC-Project-Report-95, Feb. 1997.
15. Semenov, V. E., E. I. Rakova, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Multipactor in rectangular waveguides," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 14, 033501, 2007.
16. Udiljak, R., D. Anderson, M. Lisak, V. Semenov, and J. Puech, "Multipactor in a coaxial transmission line. Part I: Analytical study," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 14, No. 3, 033508, Mar. 2007.
17. Pérez, A. M., C. Tienda, C. Vicente, S. Anza, J. Gil, B. Gimeno, V. E. Boria, and D. Raboso, "Prediction of multipactor breakdown thresholds in coaxial transmission lines for traveling, standing, and mixed waves," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 37, No. 10, 2031-2040, Oct. 2009.
18. Pérez, A. M., V. E. Boria, B. Gimeno, S. Anza, C. Vicente, and J. Gil, "Multipactor analysis in circular wave-guides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1575-1583, 2009.
19. Semenov, V. E., N. A. Zharova, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Simulations of multipactor in circular waveguides," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 17, 123-503, 2010.
20. Semenov, V. E., E. I. Rakova, A.G. Sazontov, I. M. Nefedov, V. I. Pozdnyakova, I. A. Shereshevskii, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Simulations of multipactor thresholds in shielded microstrip lines," Journal of Physiscs D: Applied Physics, Vol. 42, 205204, 2009.
21. Semenov, V., E. Rakova, N. Zharova, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Simulations of the multipactor effect in hollow waveguides with wedge-shaped cross section," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 36, No. 2, 488-493, Apr. 2008.
22. Hueso, J., C. Vicente, B. Gimeno, V. E. Boria, S. Marini, and M. Taroncher, "Multipactor effect analysis and design rules for wedge-shaped hollow waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3508-3517, Dec. 2010.
23. Frotanpour, A., G. Dadashzadeh, M. Shahabadi, and B. Gimeno, "Analysis of multipactor RF breakdown thresholds in elliptical waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 3, 876-881, Mar. 2011.
24. Frotanpour, A., B. Gimeno Martinez, and S. Esfandiarpour, "Multipactor in dual-mode elliptical waveguide," 2015 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 2015.
25. Keneshloo, R., G. Dadashzadeh, A. Frotanpour, and M. Okhovvat, "Multipactor analysis in dielectric resonator waveguide filters," Journal of Communication Engineering, Vol. 1, 18-24, 2012.
26. Gimeno, B. and M. Guglielmi, "Full wave network representation for rectangular, circular, and elliptical to elliptical waveguide junctions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave, Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 3, 376-384, Mar. 1997.
27. Accatino, L., G. Bertin, and M. Mongiardo, "Elliptical cavity resonators for dual-mode narrow-band filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12, 2393-2401, Dec. 1997.
28. Bertin, G., B. Piovano, L. Accatino, and M. Mongiardo, "Full-wave design and optimization of circular waveguide polarizers with elliptical irises," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1077-1083, Apr. 2002.
29. Verlet, L., "Computer experiments on classical fluids. I. Thermodynamical properties of Lennard Jones molecules," Physical Review, Vol. 159, No. 1, 98-103, Jul. 1967.
30. Spriter, Q. and M. Walter, "Classical molecular dynamics simulation with the Velocity Verlet algorithm at strong external magnetic fields," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 152, No. 1, 102-119, Jun. 1999.
31. Vaughan, J. R. M., "A new formula for secondary emission yield," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 36, No. 9, 1963-1967, Sep. 1989.
32. Somersalo, E., P. Yl-Oijala, and D. Proch, "Electron multipacting in RF structures," Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY, Hamburg, Germany, TESLA Rep., 94-14, 1994.
33. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., 1993.
34. Collett, E., Field Guide to Polarization, SPIE Press Book, 2005.