This paper presents the effect of solar illumination on the differential potential generated on the surfaces of spacecraft body in space. Two geometrical cases are considered: 1) Cylindrical symmetry and 2) Tilted metallic plates forming an angle with the adjacent side. The capacitance required for estimation of the body potential is computed by Method of Moment. Nonuniform triangular meshing is used for both the geometrical structures. The differential potential generated on surfaces of a geometrical body due to photoelectric effect results in electrostatic discharge. In the case of the tilted plates, the differential potential at various tilt-angles is computed along with the capacitance computation. In the case of the cylindrical object, the estimation of potential at the day-night interface is shown. The variation in the potential for different incident angles of the solar photons and the changing (h/r) ratio is analyzed. The validity of the analysis is established with that obtained in open literature.
2. Garrett, H. B. and A. C. Whittlesey, Guide to Mitigating Spacecraft Charging Effects (JPL Space Science and Technology Series), 1-28, California Inst. Technol., Pasadena, CA, USA, Jun. 2011.
3. Hastings, D. and H. Garrett, Spacecraft-Environment Interactions, Cambridge University Press, 1996.
4. Whipple, E. C., "Potentials of surfaces in space," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 44, 1197-1250, 1981.
5. Fennell, J. F., J. L. Roeder, G. A. Berg, and R. K. Elsen, "HEO satellite frame and differential charging and SCATHA low-level frame charging," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 36, No. 5, 2271-2279, Oct. 2008.
6. Bedingfield, K. L., R. D. Leach, and M. B. Alexander, "Spacecraft system failures and anomalies attributed to the natural space environment," NASA Reference Publication 1390, NASA MSFC, 1996.
7. Leach, R. D. and M. B. Alexander, "Failures and anomalies attributed to spacecraft charging," NASA Reference Publication 1354, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Nov. 1994.
8. Minow, J. and L. Parker, "Spacecraft charging: Anomaly and failure mechanisms," Spacecraft Anomalies and Failures Workshop (NASA), Chantilly, VA, Jul. 2014.
9. Nakamura, M., "Space plasma environment at the ADEOS-II anomaly," Proc. 9th Spacecraft Charging Technol. Conf., Tsukuba, Japan, Apr. 4-8, 2005.
10. Kawakita, S., et al., "Investigation of operational anomaly of ADEOS-II satellite," Proc. 9th Spacecraft Charging Technol. Conf., Tsukuba, Japan, Apr. 4-8, 2005.
11. Mandell, M. J., V. A. Davis, D. L. Cooke, A. T. Wheelock, and C. J. Roth, "Nascap-2k spacecraft charging code overview," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 34, No. 5, 2084-2093, Oct. 2006.
12. Muranaka, T., et al., "Development of Multi-Utility Spacecraft Charging Analysis Tool (MUSCAT)," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 36, No. 5, 2336-2349, Oct. 2008.
13. Roussel, J. F., F. Rogier, D. Volpert, J. Forest, G. Rousseau, and A. Hilgers, "Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Software (SPIS): Numerical solvers - Methods and architecture," Proc. Process. 9th Spacecraft Charg. Technol. Conf., 462-472, Tsukuba, Japan, Apr. 2005.
14. Mehta Prarthan, D. and S. B. Chakrabarty, "Capacitance of metallic bodies forming a corner," Journal of Applied Sciences, 2250-2254, 2011.
15. Alad, R. H. and S. Chakrabarty, "Electrostatic analysis of an artificial orbiting satellite for absolute charging," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 43, No. 9, 2887-2893, Sept. 2015.
16. Chakraborty, C., D. R. Poddar, A. Chakraborty, and B. N. Das, "Electrostatic charge distribution and capacitance of isolated cylinders and truncated cones in free space," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 35, No. 1, 98-102, Feb. 1993.
17. Mikaeline, T., "Spacecraft charging and hazards to electronics in space," Physics of the Space Environment, 1-28, York University, May 2001.
18. Hastings, D. and H. Garret, Spacecraft Environment Interactions, 168, Cambridge Atmospheric and Space Sciences Series, 1996.
19. Gibson, W. C., The Method of Moments in Elecromagnetics, 33-48, 255-269, Chapman & Hall/CRC, Taylor & Francis Group, New York, Nov. 2007.