Design of a compact Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) transmission line is presented in this paper. The main parameters of SIW were parametrically studied, and nal designed component was fabricated and measured, which showed very good matching (near 90%) with simulations, demonstrating significant miniaturization factor. The miniaturization was done using Half-Mode (HM) and Slow-Wave (SW) principles together. It was found that the HM-SW method for SIW miniaturization reduced the SIW surface area with a remarkable factor value (70%) while maintaining acceptable characteristics compared to the original SIW. In fact, HM technique reduced 40% the lateral dimension of the SIW, and using the SW technique allowed 30% of size reduction added to the HM principle. Furthermore, a proper microstrip to HM-SW-SIW tapered transition was designed, which showed a return loss decrease between 3 dB and 7.5 dB, as well as facilitating measurement. On the other hand, the proposed transmission line could lead to a size reduction of 30% compared to the HM-SIW miniaturization technique. The HM-SW-SIW transmission line concept presented in this paper can be used to design other compact SIW components such as bandpass filters, couplers, and power divider.
2. Djerafi, T. and K. Wu, "Multilayered substrate integrated waveguide 4 × 4 Butler matrix," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, 336-344, 2012.
3. Cheng, Y. J., C. A. Zhang, and Y. Fan, "Miniaturized multilayer folded substrate integrated waveguide Butler matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 21, 45-58, 2011.
4. Grigoropoulos, N. and P. R. Young, "Compact folded waveguides," 34th European Microwave Conference, Vol. 2, 973-976, IEEE, 2004.
5. Wang, R., L.-S. Wu, and X.-L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 135-147, 2008.
6. Grigoropoulos, N., B. Sanz-Izquierdo, and P. Young, "Substrate integrated folded waveguides (SIFW) and filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, 829-831, Dec. 2005.
7. Bozzi, M., S. Winkler, and K. Wu, "Broadband and compact ridge substrate-integrated waveguides," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 8, 1965-1973, Nov. 2010.
8. Bozzi, M., M. Pasian, and L. Perregrini, "Advanced modeling and design of substrate integrated waveguide components," 2014 IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, IEEE, 2014.
9. Hong, W., B. Liu, Y. Wang, Q. Lai, H. Tang, X. X. Yin, Y. D. Dong, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Teraherz Electronics, 2006, 219, IEEE, 2006.
10. Zhai, G. H., W. Hong, K. Wu, J. X. Chen, P. Chen, J. Wei, and H. J. Tang, "Folded half mode substrate integrated waveguide 3 dB coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 512-514, Aug. 2008.
11. Niembro-Martin, A., V. Nasserddine, E. Pistono, H. Issa, A.-L. Franc, T.-P. Vuong, and P. Ferrari, "Slow-wave substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, 2014.
12. Khalil, M., M. Kamarei, J. Jomaah, and H. Ayad, "Compact SIW leaky wave antenna," 2015 Third International Conference on Technological Advances in Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (TAEECE), 124-129, Apr. 2015.
13. Khalil, M., M. Kamarei, J. Jomaah, and H. Ayad, "Substrate integrated waveguide miniaturization using slow wave and half mode techniques," IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 2015.
14. Rayas-Sanchez, J., "An improved EM-based design procedure for single-layer substrate integrated waveguide interconnects with microstrip transitions," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Signal Integrity and High-Speed Interconnects, 2009, IMWS 2009, 27-30, Feb. 2009.
15. Lai, Q., C. Fumeaux, W. Hong, and R. Vahldieck, "Characterization of the propagation properties of the half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1996-2004, 2009.
17. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
18. Machac, J., "Microstrip line on an artificial dielectric substrate," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 7, 416-418, 2006.
19. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-substrate integrated waveguide transitions," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 704-707, 2010.