Effects of a superstrate layer on the resonant frequency and bandwidth of a high Tc superconducting (HTS) circular printed patch are investigated in this paper. For that, a rigorous full-wave spectral analysis of superconducting patch in multilayer configuration is described. In such an approach, the spectral dyadic Green's function which relates the tangential electric field and currents at various conductor planes should be determined. Integral equations are solved by a Galerkin's moment method procedure, and the complex resonance frequencies are studied with basis functions involving Chebyshev polynomials in conjunction with the complex resistive boundary condition. To include the superconductivity of the disc, its complex surface impedance is determined by using London's equation and the model of Gorter and Casimir. Numerical results are compared with experimental results of literature as well as with the most recent published calculations using different methods. A very good agreement is obtained. Finally, superstrate loading effects are presented and discussed showing interesting enhancement on the resonant characteristics of the superconducting antenna using combinations of Chebyshev polynomials as set of basis functions.
2. Pozar, D. M., "Considerations for millimeter wave printed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, 740-747, 1983.
3. Viani, F., L. Lizzi, M. Donelli, D. Pregnolato, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Exploitation of parasitic smart antennas in wireless sensor networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 993-1003, 2010.
4. Febvre, P. and M. Donelli, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
5. Nisenoff, M. and J. Pond, "Superconductors and microwaves," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 10, No. 3, 84-95, 2009.
6. Hansen, R. C., Electrically Small, Superdirective, and Superconducting Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2006.
7. Fortaki, T., M. Amir, S. Benkouda, and A. Benghalia, "Study of high Tc superconducting microstrip antenna," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 4, 346-349, 2010.
8. Khamas, S. K., M. J. Mehler, T. S. M. Maclean, and C. E. Gough, "High-T/sub c/superconducting short dipole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 8, 460-461, 1988.
9. El-Ghazaly, S. M., R. B. Hammond, and T. Itoh, "Analysis of superconducting microwave structures: Application to microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 3, 499-508, 1992.
10. Benkouda, S., A. Messai, M. Amir, S. Bedra, and T. Fortaki, "Characteristics of a high Tc superconducting rectangular microstrip patch on uniaxially anisotropic substrate," Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 502, 70-75, July 2014.
11. Bedra, S. and T. Fortaki, "Effects of superstrate layer on the resonant characteristics of superconducting rectangular microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 157-165, 2016.
12. Bedra, S. and T. Fortaki, "High-Tc superconducting rectangular microstrip patch covered with a dielectric layer," Physica C: Superconductivity and Its Applications, Vol. 524, 31-36, May 2016.
13. Barkat, O., "Theoretical study of superconducting annular ring microstrip antenna with several dielectric layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 31-48, 2012.
14. Benmeddour, F., C. Dumond, F. Benabdelaziz, and F. Bouttout, "Improving the performances of a high Tc superconducting circular microstrip antenna with multilayered configuration and anisotropic dielectrics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 169-183, 2011.
15. Bedra, S., R. Bedra, S. Benkouda, and T. Fortaki, "Efficient CAD model for the analysis of high Tc superconducting circular microstrip antenna on anisotropic substrates," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 6, No. 2, May 2017.
16. Losada, V., R. R. Boix, and M. Horno, "Resonant modes of circular microstrip patches in multilayered substrates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 4, 488-498, 1999.
17. Tulintsef, A. N., S. M. Ali, and J. A. Kong, "Input impedance of a probe-fed stacked circular microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 381-390, Mar. 1991.
18. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. J. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Inc, 2001.
19. Fang, D. G., Antenna Theory and Microstrip Antennas, Taylor and Francis Group, 2010.
20. Bedra, S., R. Bedra, S. Benkouda, and T. Fortaki, "Superstrate loading effects on the resonant characteristics of high Tc superconducting circular patch printed on anisotropic materials," Physica C: Superconductivity and Its Applications, Vol. 543, 1-7, December 2017.
21. Richard, M. A., K. B. Bhasin, and P. C. Claspy, "Superconducting microstrip antennas: An experimental comparison of two feeding methods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, 967-974, 1993.