Magnetic proximity detection systems (PDSs) used in underground mines occasionally generate false alarms when the miner-wearable component (MWC) is close to nearby conductors such as power cables. This is because the signals from the generators (antennas) of the PDS wirelessly couple to nearby cables, travel along these cables, and then couple back from the cable to a distant MWC to cause a false alarm. In order to manage such a false alarm, it is necessary to understand the basic near-field coupling characteristics from a generator to a long wire. Researchers from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) have developed a method to measure such coupling characteristics for a ferrite-cored antenna to a straight wire. The method is introduced in this paper along with the test results.
2. Piantini, A. and J. M. Janiszewski, "Lightning-induced voltages on overhead lines - Application of the extended Rusck model," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 51, No. 3, 548-558, Aug. 2009, doi: 10.1109/TEMC.2009.2023514.
3. Poljak, D. and V. Roje, "Time domain modeling of electromagnetic coupling to transmission lines," 1998 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 2, 1010-1013, Sept. 1998, doi: 10.1109/ISEMC.1998.750346.
4. Rachidi, F., "A review of field-to-transmission line coupling models with particular reference to lighting-induced voltage," X International Symposium on Lighting Protection, 67-88, Curitiba, Brazil, Nov. 9–13, 2009.
5. Paolone, M., F. Rachidi, A. Borghetti, C. A. Nucci, M. Rubinstein, V. Rakov, and M. A. Uman, "Lighting electromagnetic coupling to overhead lines: Theory, numerical simulation and experimental validation," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 51, No. 2, 532-547, Aug. 2009, doi: 10.1109/TEMC.2009.2025958.
6. Kauun, P. D. and M. J. Thomas, "Lighting induced voltages on multiconductor power distribution line," IEE Proceedings - Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 152, No. 6, 855-863, Nov. 4, 2005, doi: 10.1049/ip-gtd:20045090.
7. Rachidi, F., "A review of field-to-transmission line coupling models with special emphasis to lighting-induced voltages on overhead lines," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 54, No. 4, 898-911, Aug. 2012, doi: 10.1109/TEMC.2011.2181519.
8. Piantini, A., "Lighting-induced voltages on overhead power distribution lines," World Meeting on Lighting, invited paper, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, Apr. 6–8, 2016, http://www.acofi.edu.co/womel/.
9. Poljak, D. and K. E. K. K. Drissi, "Electromagnetic field coupling to overhead wire configurations: Antenna model versus transmission line approach," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID730145, 18 Pages, 2012, doi: 10.1155/2012/730145.
10. Tkatchenko, S., F. Rachidi, and M. Ianoz, "High-frequency electromagnetic field coupling to long terminated lines," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 43, No. 2, 117-129, May 2001, doi: 10.1109/15.925531.
11. Tkatchenko, S., F. Rachidi, and M. Ianoz, "Electromagnetic field coupling to a line of finite length: Theory, fast iteration solutions in frequency and time domain," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 37, No. 4, 509-518, Nov. 1995, doi: 10.1109/15.477335.
12. Smith, A., "The response of two-wire transmission line excited by nonuniform electromagnetic fields of nearby loop," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 16, No. 4, 196-199, Nov. 1972, doi: 10.1109/TEMC.1974.303365.
13. Zhou, C., J. Li, N. Damiano, J. DuCarme, and J. Noll, "Influence of trailing cables on magnetic proximity detection systems," The Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, 1-6, Minneapolis, MN, Feb. 25–28, 2018.
14. Li, J., B. Whisner, and J. Waynert, "Measurements of medium-frequency propagation characteristics of a transmission line in an underground coal mine," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 49, 1984-1991, Sept./Oct. 2013, doi: 10.1109/TIA.2013.2260812.
15. Li, J., J. Waynert, and B. Whisner, "An introduction to a medium frequency propagation characteristic measurement method of a transmission line in underground coal mines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 55, 131-149, 2013.
16. Li, J., J. Waynert, and B. Whisner, "Medium frequency propagation characteristics of different transmission lines in an underground coal mine," International Journal on Communications Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 7-15, Feb. 2015, doi: 10.15866/irecap.v5i1.4824.
17. Li, J., M. Reyes, N. Damiano, B. Whisner, and R. Matetic, "Medium frequency propagation characteristics of a lifeline as a transmission line in underground coal mines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 52, No. 3, 2724-2730, May/Jun. 2016, doi: 10.1109/TIA.2016.2517599.
18. Griffiths, D. J., Introduction to Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., 331-333, Pearson Addison Wesley, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 07458, 1999.
19. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Edit Ed., 59-5, McGraw-Hill Companies, Two Penn Plaza, New York, NY 10121-2298, 2007.
20. Tran, A., M. Bolic, and M. Yagoub, "Magnetic-field coupling characteristics of ferrite-coil antennas for low-frequency RFID applications," International Journal of Computer Issues, Vol. 7, No. 4, 7-11, Jul. 2010, doi: 10.1.1.404.1438.