To obtain the volume fraction of a gas-liquid two-phase flow, a contactless electromagnetic coupling resonance based volume fraction detection (CECR-VFD) technique is proposed. By mathematical calculation and numerical simulation, it is found that the CECR-VFD method is a better alternative than the conventional electromagnetic induction based method. The distance between the excitation coil and receiving coil is firstly determined. Then the effect of the pipe length is investigated. Additionally, the relationship between the output voltage across the receiving coil and the volume fraction is studied for stratified flow and annular flow. Experiments have been carried out for validation, and the results indicate that the output voltage can be used to predict the volume fraction of a two-phase flow.
2. Figueiredo, M. M. F., J. L. Goncalves, A. M. V. Nakashima, and R. D. M. Carvalho, "The use of an ultrasonic technique and neural networks for identification of the flow pattern and measurement of the gas volume fraction in multiphase flows," Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Vol. 70, 29-50, 2016.
3. Franco, Jr., E. F., R. M. Salgado, and T. Ohishi, "Analysis of two-phase flow pattern identification methodologies for embedded systems," IEEE Latin America Transactions, Vol. 16, No. 3, 718-727, 2018.
4. Xie, S. W., J. Z. Gao, and Z. T. Wen, "The optimal design of the new tube inside and outside differential pressure flow meter," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 541, No. 7, 1283-1287, 2014.
5. Ghanei, S., M. Kashefi, and M. Mazinani, "Eddy current nondestructive evaluation of dual phase steel," Materials & Design, Vol. 50, No. 17, 491-496, 2013.
6. Al-Naser, M., M. Elshafei, and A. M. Al-Sarkhi, "Artificial neural network application for multiphase flow patterns detection: A new approach," Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 145, 548-564, 2016.
7. Sun, H. J., Z. J. Liu, and L. F. Wang, "Research on the installation location of the vortex probe for gas-liquid two-phase flow with low liquid fraction," Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 4, 167-171, 2014.
8. Gao, Z., Y. Yang, L. Zhai, N. Jin, and G. Chen, "A four-sector conductance method for measuring and characterizing low-velocity oil-water two-phase flows," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, Vol. 65, No. 7, 1690-1697, 2016.
9. Faraj, Y., M. Wang, and J. Jia, "Automated horizontal slurry flow regime recognition using statistical analysis of the ERT signal," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 102, 821-830, 2015.
10. Wang, H. G., G. R. Zhao, and G. Z. Qiu, "Investigation the solid phase distribution in the inlet of multi-cyclone of a circulating fluidized bed by electrical capacitance tomography," Journal of Engineering Thermophysics, Vol. 35, No. 1, 109-113, 2014.
11. Madhavi, S., H. Sagar, and R. Vivek, "Void fraction measurement using electrical capacitance tomography and high speed photography," Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Vol. 94, 1-11, 2015.
12. Yang, D. Y., R. Guo, and X. R. Wang, "Application of electrical capacitance tomography on lubricating oil film in journal bearings," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 32, No. 5, 187-190, 2012.
13. Hamidipour, A., T. Henriksson, and M. Hopfer, "Electromagnetic tomography for brain imaging and stroke diagnostics: Progress towards clinical application," Cells Tissues Organs, Vol. 166, No. 2, 233-246, 2018.
14. Liu, Z. W. Li, and F. Xue, "Electromagnetic tomography rail defect inspection," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 10, 1-7, 2015.
15. Mayank, G., M. Prabhat, K. Ashok, and S. Anupam, "Nonuniform arrangement of emitter-receiver pairs arrangement and compact ultrasonic tomography setup," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, 1198-1207, 2014.
16. Fu, Y., C. Tan, and F. Dong, "Analysis of response for magnetic induction tomography with internal source," Measurement, Vol. 78, No. 1, 260-277, 2016.
17. Dekdouk, B., C. Ktistis, and D. W. Armitage, "Absolute imaging of low conductivity material distributions using nonlinear reconstruction methods in magnetic induction tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 155, 1-18, 2016.
18. Wei, H. Y. and M. Soleimani, "Two-phase low conductivity flow imaging using magnetic induction tomography," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, No. 20, 99-115, 2012.
19. Lu, M., H. Andy, and S. Manuchehr, "Experimental evaluation of conductive flow imaging using magnetic induction tomography," International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 72, No. 20, 198-209, 2015.
20. Roshani, G. H., E. Nazemi, and M. M. Roshani, "Identification of flow regime and estimation of volume fraction independent of liquid phase density in gas-liquid two-phase flow," Progress In Nuclear Energy, Vol. 98, 29-37, 2017.
21. Zhang, J. and T. Zhang, "Research on signal amplitude of the Kármán vortex street in gas-liquid two-phase flow with high void fraction," Flow Measurement & Instrumentation, Vol. 41, 158-164, 2015.