A dual-band two port MIMO antenna with very high isolation is proposed for 5G/WLAN application. The overall size of the MIMO antenna is (18 × 44× 0.8) mm3. The unequal arm of the Inverted-F Antenna (IFA) is the reason for the dual bands. Bending and extending one of the arms with the staircase shape is responsible for the proposed dual-bands having resonant frequency at 3.45 GHz (3.3 GHz-3.65 GHz) and 5.1 GHz (4.8 GHz-5.5 GHz) respectively with percentage impedance bandwidth of 10% and 13.6% respectively. The proposed antenna uses a simple decoupling structure based on a wide inverted T-shaped slot to achieve good isolation (better than 18 dB and 34 dB respectively for the dual-bands) between the ports. The envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) and channel capacity loss (CCL) are within the acceptable limits.
2. Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, "Enabling 5G in India,", TRAI, Delhi, India, 2019. URL: https://trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/White_Paper_22022019_0.pdf.
3. Shen, D. L., L. Zhang, Y. C. Jiao, and Y. D. Yan, "Dual-element antenna with high isolation operating at the WLAN bands," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, 2323-2328, 2019.
4. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "A compact dual-band MIMO slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2457-2460, 2017.
5. Addaci, R., K. Haneda, A. Diallo, P. L. Thuc, C. Luxey, R. Staraj, and P. Vainikainen, "Dual-band WLAN multiantenna system and diversity/MIMO performance evaluation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 1409-1415, 2014.
6. Deng, J. Y., J. Y. Li, L. Zhao, and L. X. Guo, "A dual-band inverted-F MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2270-2273, 2017.
7. Deng, J. Y., Z. J. Wang, J. Y. Li, and L. X. Guo, "A dual-band MIMO antenna decoupled by a meandering line resonator for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 759-765, 2018.
8. Cui, S., Y. Liu, W. Jiang, S. X. Gong, Y. Guan, and S. T. Yu, "A novel compact dualband MIMO antenna with high port isolation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1645-1655, 2011.
9. Qin, H. and Y. F. Liu, "Compact dual-band MIMO antenna with high port isolation for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 97-104, 2014.
10. Sharawi, M. S., M. A. Jan, and D. N. Aloi, "Four-shaped 2 × 2 multi-standard compact multiple-input-multiple-output antenna system for long-term evolution mobile handsets," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 6, 685-696, 2012.
11. Panda, A. K., S. Sahu, and R. K. Mishra, "A compact dual-band 2×1 metamaterial inspired mimo antenna system with high port isolation for LTE and WiMax applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., e21122, 2017.
12. Liu, Y., Y. Wang, and Z. Du, "A broadband dual-antenna system operating at the WLAN/WiMax bands for laptop computers," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1060-1063, 2015.
13. Guo, L., Y. Wang, Z. Du, Y. G. Gao, and D. Shi, "A compact uniplanar printed dual-antenna operating at the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN bands for laptop computers," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 229-232, 2014.
14. Liu, Y., L. Yang, Y. Liu, J. Ren, J. Wang, and X. Li, "Dual-band planar MIMO antenna for WLAN application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2257-2262, 2015.
15. Saurabh, A. K. and M. K. Meshram, "Compact sub-6 GHz 5G-multiple-input-multiple-output antenna system with enhanced isolation," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., e22246, 2020.
16. Roy, S., A. K. Biswas, S. Ghosh, U. Chakraborty, and A. Sarkhel, "Isolation improvement of dual-/quad-element textile MIMO antenna for 5G application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1337-1353, 2021.
17. Yuan, X. T., Z. Chen, T. Gu, and T. Yuan, "A wideband PIFA-pair-based MIMO antenna for 5G smartphones," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 20, 371-375, 2021.
18. Bartwal, P., A. K. Gautam, A. K. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Rambabu, "Design of compact multi-band meander-line antenna for global positioning system/wireless local area network/worldwide interoperability for microwave access band applications in laptops/tablets," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, 1618-1624, 2016.
19. Chatterjee, A., M. Midya, L. Prasad Mishra, and M. Mitra, "Branch line strip loaded compact printed Inverted-F Antenna (IFA) for penta-band applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153340.
20. Kuo, Y. L. and K. L. Wong, "Coplanar waveguide-fed folded inverted-F antenna for UMTS applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 5, 364-366, 2002.
21. Thakur, E., N. Jaglan, and S. D. Gupta, "Design of compact UWB MIMO antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 83-94, 2019.
22. Gurjar, R., D. K. Upadhyay, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Sharma, "A novel compact self-similar fractal UWB MIMO antenna," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 3, e21632, 2019.