The electromagnetic characterization of layered materials is applicable to many different applications. In previous work it has been shown that reflection-only techniques - which vary the underlying structure of the sample stack to obtain two independent measurements - are a variation of a single unifying scheme such that there is a single set of closed-form unifying extraction equations for the electric permittivity and magnetic permeability. In this paper, the error propagation method is applied to this single set of closed-form extraction equations in order to derive an accompanying set of closed-form equations to predict the measurement uncertainty of electric permittivity and magnetic permeability. An error analysis is performed on the layer-shift method, and results are compared to a Monte Carlo simulation to prove the viability of the general error analysis equations.
2. Bindu, G. and K. T. Mathew, "Characterization of benign and malignant breast tissues using 2-D microwave tomographic imaging," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 2341-2345, Oct. 2007.
3. Zhang, H., S. Y. Tan, and H. S. Tan, "A novel method for microwave breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 413-434, 2008.
4. Rosen, A., M. Stuchly, and A. Vander Vorst, "Applications of RF/microwaves in medicine," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 3, 963-974, 2002.
5. Perret, E., N. Zerounian, S. David, and F. Aniel, "Complex permittivity characterization of benzocyclobutene for terahertz applications," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 85, 2276-2281, Nov. 2008.
6. Baba, N., Z. Awang, and D. Ghodgaonkar, "A free-space method for measurement of complex permittivity of silicon wafers at microwave frequencies," Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics, 2003, APACE 2003, 119-123, 2003.
7. Trabelsi, S. and S. O. Nelson, "Density-independent functions for on-line microwave moisture meters: A general discussion," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 9, 570-578, Apr. 1998.
8. Krraoui, H., F. Mejri, and T. Aguili, "Nondestructive measurement of complex permittivity by a microwave technique: Detection of contamination and food quality," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 16, 1638-1657, 2017.
9. Fagiani, A., M. Vogel, and A. S. Cerqueira, "Material characterization and propagation analysis of mm-waves indoor networks," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 17, No. 4, 628-637, Dec. 2018.
10. Degli-Esposti, V., M. Zoli, E. M. Vitucci, F. Fuschini, M. Barbiroli, and J. Chen, "A method for the electromagnetic characterization of construction materials based on Fabry-Pérot resonance," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 24938-24943, Oct. 2017.
11. Fenner, R. A., E. J. Rothwell, and L. L. Frasch, "A comprehensive analysis of free-space and guided-wave techniques for extracting the permeability and permittivity of materials using reflection-only measurements," Radio Science, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2012.
12. Breiss, H., A. E. Assal, R. Benzerga, A. Sharaiha, A. Jrad, and A. Harmouch, "Ultra-porous and lightweight microwave absorber based on epoxy foam loaded with long carbon fibers," Materials Research Bulletin, Vol. 137, 111188, May 2021.
13. Breiss, H., A. E. Assal, R. Benzerga, C.Méjean, and A. Sharaiha, "Long carbon fibers for microwave absorption: Effect of fiber length on absorption frequency band," Micromachines, Vol. 11, 1-18, Dec. 2020.
14. Assal, A. E., H. Breiss, R. Benzerga, A. Sharaiha, A. Jrad, and A. Harmouch, "Toward an ultrawideband hybrid metamaterial based microwave absorber," Micromachines, Vol. 11, 930, Oct. 2020.
15. Pometcu, L., C. Méjean, R. Benzerga, A. Sharaiha, P. Pouliguen, and C. L. Paven, "On the choice of the dielectric characterization method for foam composite absorber material," Materials Research Bulletin, Vol. 96, 107-114, 2017.
16. Krraoui, H., C. Tripon-Canseliet, I. Maksimovic, S. Varault, G. Pillet, S. Maci, and J. Chazelas, "Characterization of optically-reconfigurable metasurfaces by a free space microwave bistatic technique," Applied Sciences (Switzerland), Vol. 10, 4353, Jun. 2020.
17. Fenner, R., E. Rothwell, and L. Frasch, "The dual polarization method for characterization of dielectric materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 3, 318-330, 2016.
18. Chen, L. F., C. K. Ong, C. P. Neo, V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, Microwave Electronics: Measurement and Materials Characterization, John Wiley & Sons, Nov. 2004.
19. Kalachev, A., I. Kukolev, S. Matitsin, L. Novogrudskiy, K. Rozanov, A. Sarychev, and A. Seleznev, "The methods of investigation of complex dielectric permittivity of layer polymers containing conductive inclusions," MRS Online Proceedings Library, Vol. 214, 1990.
20. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. Vanzura, and W. Kissick, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/reflection method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, No. 8, 1096-1103, 1990.
21. Fenner, R. and E. J. Rothwell, "On the inadequacy of the overlay method for characterizing a conductor-backed material using free-space measurements," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2010.
22. Taylor, J. and S. Taylor, Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements. ASMSU/Spartans. 4. Spartans Textbook, University Science Books, 1997.