We study TE-wave propagation in a hollow waveguide with a graded transition from a lossy right-handed material (RHM) filling the left-hand half of the waveguide to the impedance-matched lossy left-handed material (LHM) filling the right-hand half of the waveguide. The transition between the two media is graded along the direction perpendicular to the boundary between the two materials (chosen to be the z-direction), and the permittivity ε(ω, z) and permeability μ(ω, z) are chosen to vary according to hyperbolic tangent functions along the z-direction. We obtain exact analytical solutions to Maxwell's equations for lossy media, and the solutions for the field components confirm the expected properties of RHM-LHM structures. Thereafter, a numerical study of the wave propagation over an impedance-matched graded RHM-LHM interface is performed, using COMSOL software. The numerical study shows an excellent agreement between the numerical simulations and analytical results. Compared to other solution methods, the present approach has the advantage of being able to model more realistic smooth transitions between different materials. However, in the limiting case, it includes correct results for abrupt transitions as well. In the present approach we also introduce the interface width as an additional degree of freedom that can be used in the design of practical RHM-LHM interfaces.
2. Zhang, N., W. X. Jiang, H. F. Ma, W. X. Tang, and T. J. Cui, "Compact high-performance lens antenna based on impedance-matching gradient-index metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 1323-1328, February 2019, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2018.2880115.
3. Su, Y. and Z. N. Chen, "A flat dual-polarized transformation-optics beamscanning luneburg lens antenna using PCB-stacked gradient index metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 10, 5088-5097, October 2018, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2018.2858209.
4. Luque-González, J. M., R. Halir, J. G. Wanguemert-Perez, J. de-Oliva-Rubio, J. H. Schmid, P. Cheben, I. Molina-Fernandez, and A. Ortega-Monux, "An ultracompact GRIN-lens-based spot size converter using subwavelength grating metamaterials," Laser Photonics Reviews, Vol. 13, No. 19001724, 1-7, September 2019, doi: 10.1002/lpor.201900172.
5. Gaufillet, F., S. Marcellin, and E. Akmansoy, "Dielectric metamaterial-based gradient index lens in the terahertz frequency range," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 23, No. 4, 1-5, Art No. 4700605, July/August 2017, doi: 10.1109/JSTQE.2016.2633825.
6. Salami, P. and L. Yousefi, "Far-field subwavelength imaging using phase gradient metasurfaces," IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 37, No. 10, 2317-2323, March 2019, doi: 10.1109/JLT.2019.2902544.
7. Hajiahmadi, M. J., R. Faraji-Dana, and A. K. Skrivervik, "Far field superlensing inside biological media through a nanorod lens using spatiotemporal information," Nature, Scientific Reports, Vol. 11, 1-8, Art No. 19534, January 2021, doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-81091-0.
8. La Spada, L., T. M. McManus, A. Dyke, S. Haq, L. Zhang, Q. Cheng, and Y. Hao, "Surface wave cloak from graded refractive index nanocomposites," Nature: Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 29363, July 2016, doi: 10.1038/srep29363.
9. Hadi Badri, S., H. Rasooli Saghai, and H. Soofi, "Multimode waveguide crossing based on a square Maxwell's fisheye lens," Applied Optics, Vol. 58, No. 17, 4647-4653, June 2019, doi: 10.1364/AO.58.004647.
10. Fu, Y., Y. Xu, and H. Chen, "Applications of gradient index metamaterials in waveguides," Nature, Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, Art No. 18223, 1-6, December 2015, doi: 10.1038/srep18223.
11. El-Khozondar, H. J., R. J. El-Khozondar, A. Shama, K. Ahmed, and V. Dhasarathan, "Highly efficient solar energy conversion using graded-index metamaterial nanostructured waveguide," Journal of Optical Communications, eISSN 2191-6322, ISSN 0173-4911, February 2020, doi: 10.1515/joc-2019-0285.
12. Liu, Y. and S. Jian, "Tunable trapping and releasing light in graded graphene-silica metamaterial waveguide," Optics Express, Vol. 22, 24312-24321, October 2014, doi: 10.1364/OE.22.024312.
13. Hu, H.-F., D. Ji, X. Zeng, K. Liu, and Q. Gan, "Rainbow trapping in hyperbolic metamaterial waveguide," Scientific Reports, Vol. 3, 1249-1255, February 2013, doi: 10.1038/srep01249.
14. Yan, B., B. Yu, J. Xu, Y. Li, Z. Wang, Z. Wang, B. Yu, H. Ma, and C. Gong, "Customized metawaveguide for phase and absorption," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 54, 465102-465112, August 2021, doi: 10.1088/1361-6463/ac1466.
15. Weng, Q., Q. Lin, and H. Wu, "An efficient semianalytical modal analysis of rectangular waveguides containing metamaterials with graded inhomogeneity," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, 1-13, February 2021, doi: 10.1155/2021/6107378.
16. Berneschi, S., S. Soria, G. C. Righini, G. Alombert-Goget, A. Chiappini, A. Chiasera, Y. Jestin, M. Ferrari, S. Guddala, E. Moser, S. N. B. Bhaktha, B. Boulard, C. Duverger Arfuso, and S. Turrell, "Rare-earth-activated glass-ceramic waveguides," Optical Materials, Vol. 32, 1644-1647, May 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.optmat.2010.04.035.
17. Guddala, S., Y. Kawaguchi, F. Komissarenko, S. Kiriushechkina, A. Vakulenko, K. Chen, A. Alu, V. M. Menon, and A. B. Khanikaev, "All-optical nonreciprocity due to valley polarization pumping in transition metal dichalcogenides," Nature Communications, Vol. 12, 1-9, June 2021, doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-24138-0.
18. Estep, N. A., D. L. Sounas, J. Soric, and A. Alu, "Magnetic-free non-reciprocity and isolation based on parametrically modulated coupled-resonator loops," Nature Physics, Vol. 10, 923-927, November 2014, doi: 10.1038/nphys3134.
19. Keshavarz, S. and S. Dimitrios, "Topological transmission line metamaterials for microwave applications,", 194-196, August 2021, doi: 10.1109/Metamaterials52332.2021.9577096.
20. Keshavarz, S., A. Abdolali, A. Mohammadi, and R. Keshavarz, "Design and implementation of low loss and compact microstrip triplexer using CSRR loaded coupled lines," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 152913, August 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152913.
21. Keshavarz, S., R. Keshavarz, and A. Abdipour, "Compact active duplexer based on CSRR and interdigital loaded microstrip coupled lines for LTE application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 109, 27-37, January 2021, doi: 10.2528/PIERC20112307.
22. Dalarsson, M., M. Norgren, T. Asenov, and N. Doncov, "Arbitrary loss factors in the wave propagation between RHM and LHM media with constant impedance throughout the structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 527-538, March 2013, doi: 10.2528/PIER13013004.
23. Dalarsson, M., "General theory of wave propagation through graded interfaces between positive-and negative refractive-index media," Physical Review A, Vol. 96, 043848, October 2017, doi: PhysRevA.96.043848.
24. Dalarsson, M. and P. Tassin, "Analytical solution for wave propagation through a graded index interface between a right-handed and a left-handed material," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 6747-6752, April 2009.
25. Dalarsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "TE-wave propagation in graded waveguide structures," OSA Continuum, Vol. 3, 67-76, January 2020.