The pattern of each element in conformal array has a different direction for the curvature of conformal carrier, which results in polarization diversity of conformal array antenna. Polarization parameters of incident signals are considered in snapshot data model in order to describe the polarization diversity of conformal array antenna. It is required that the polarization parameters and direction of arrival (DOA) of incident signals are estimated together. An integrated frequency and DOA estimation method is proposed in this paper for cylindrical conformal array antenna. The frequency estimation of signal source is obtained by constructing state-space matrix. Through well-designed configuration of elements on cylindrical carriers along with estimation of signal parameters via propagator method (PM), the decoupling scheme for DOA and polarization parameters is implemented. A novel parameter pairing method for frequency and DOA of multiple sources utilizing the interpolation technique is given, based on which the fast frequency-DOA estimation algorithm is developed. Effectiveness of the proposed method is demonstrated by simulation experimental results.
"Fast Estimation of Frequency and 2-d
for Cylindrical Conformal Array Antenna Using State-Space and Propagator Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 137, 51-71, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121114
1. Josefsson, L. and P. Persson, Conformal Array Antenna Theory and Design, IEEE Press Series on Electromagnetic Wave Theory, 206. doi:10.1002/047178012X
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 2005.
3. Wang, J. J. and Y. P. Zhang, "Circuit model of microstrip patch antenna on ceramic land grid array package for antenna-chip codesign of highly integrated RF transceivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 83-101, 2011.
4. Asimakis, N. P., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Non-invasive microwave radiometric system for intracranial applications: A study using the conformal L-notch microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 83-101, 2011.
5. Wang, X., M. Zhang, and S. J. Wang, "Practicability analysis and application of PBG structures on cylindrical conformal microstrip antenna and array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 495-507, 2011.
6. Kong, L. Y., J. Wang, and W. Y. Yin, "A novel dielectric conformal FDTD method for computing SAR distribution of the human body in a metallic cabin illuminated by an intentional electromagnetic pulse (IEMP)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 355-373, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112702
7. Boeringer, D. W., D. H. Werner, and D. W. Machuga, "A simultaneous parameter adaptation scheme for genetic algorithms with application to phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 356-371, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838800
8. Vaskelainen, L. I., "Constrained least-squares optimization in conformal array antenna synthesis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 859-867, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891860
9. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, and X. W. Shi, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by a modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 237-252, 2011.
10. Xu, Z., H. Li, and Q. Z. Liu, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091901
11. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.
12. Zhang, Y., Q. Wan, and A.-M. Huang, "Localization of narrow band sources in the presence of mutual coupling via sparse solution finding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 243-257, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08090703
13. Pouramadi, M., M. Nakhkash, and A. A. Tadion, "Application of MDL criterion for microwave imaging by music algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 261-278, 2012.
14. Gu, X. and Y. Zhang, "Resolution threshold analysis of MUSIC algorithm in radar range imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 297-321, 2011.
15. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interporlated esprit algorithm on a cylindrical conformal antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-206, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011904
16. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "DOA estimation using MUSIC algorithm on a cylindrical conformal antenna array," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, 5299-5302, 2007.
17. Solimene, R., A. Dell'Aversano, and G. Leone, "Interferometric time reversal music for small scatterer localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 243-258, 2012.
18. Lee, J. H., Y. S. Jeong, S. W. Cho, W. Y. Yeo, and K. S. J. Pister, "Application of the Newton method to improve the accuracy of toa estimation with the beamforming algorithm and the MUSIC algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 243-258, 2011.
19. Bencheikh, M. L. and Y.Wang, "Combined ESPRIT-RootMUSIC for DOA-DOD estimation in polarimetric bistatic MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 109-117, 2011.
20. Wang, B. H., Y. Guo, Y. L. Wang, and Y. Z. Lin, "Frequency-invariant pattern synthesis of conformal array antenna with low cross-polarisation," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 5, 442-450, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070258
21. Li, F. and R. J. Vaccaro, "On frequency-wavenumber estimation by state-space realization," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems, Vol. 38, No. 7, 800-804, 1991. doi:10.1109/31.135752
22. Lemma, A. N., A. J. Veen, and E. F. Deprettere, "Analysis of joint angle-frequency estimation using ESPRIT," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1264-1283, 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.810306
23. Sanchez-Araujo, J. and S. Marcos, "Statistical analysis of the propagator method for estimation without eigendecomposition," Statistical Signal and Array Process., Vol. 10, No. 8, 570-573, 1996.
24. Weiss, A. J. and M. Gavish, "Direction finding using ESPRIT with interpolated arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1473-1478, 1991. doi:10.1109/78.136564
25. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding for wide-band signals using an interpolated array," IEEE Trans. Signa Processing, Vol. 41, No. 4, 1618-1634, 1993. doi:10.1109/78.212735
26. Yuen, N. and B. Friedlander, "Asymptotic performance analysis of ESPRIT, higher order ESPRIT, and virtual ESPRIT algorithms," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 10, 2537-2550, 1996. doi:10.1109/78.539037
27. Kay, S. M., Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Estimation Theory, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993.