A compact broadband circularly-polarized (CP) patch antenna with a wide 3-dB axial-ratio (AR) beamwidth is proposed for universal ultra-high-frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) applications. The proposed antenna consists of four triangular radiation patches and a compact feed network. Each of the radiation patches is grounded by shorting pins for 3-dB AR beamwidth enhancement and patch miniaturization. The feed network having a miniaturized hybrid coupler and two trans-directional couplers is proposed for good circular polarization. Measured results show that the -10-dB impedance bandwidth of the antenna is 18.4% (820-986 MHz); the 2.5-dB AR bandwidth is 32.8% (700-975 MHz); and the gain is 5.12 dBic. The measured 3-dB AR beamwidths for the planes of phi = 0° and phi = 45° are 177° and 190°, respectively. The overall antenna size is 0.408λ0 × 0.408λ0 × 0.053λ0 at 900 MHz.
2. Wang, Z., S. Fang, S. Fu, and S. Jia, "Single-fed broadband circularly polarized stacked patch antenna with horizontally meandered strip for universal UHF RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1066-1073, Apr. 2011.
3. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
4. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen and X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3821-3828, Dec. 2010.
5. Sim, C.-Y.-D., C. Lin, T. Chen, J. Liou, and H. Chou, "An eccentric annular slotted patch with parasitic element for UHF RFID reader applications," IEEE Int. Conf. RFID Technology and Applications, 37-40, Pisa, Italy, 2019.
6. Sim, C.-Y.-D., Y.-W. Hsu, and G. Yang, "lits loaded circularly polarized universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 827-830, 2015.
7. Li, J., H. Liu, S. Zhang, M. Luo, Y. Zhang, and S. He, "A wideband single-fed, circularly-polarized patch antenna with enhanced axial ratio bandwidth for UHF RFID reader applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 55883-55892, 2018.
8. Pan, Y. M., W. J. Yang, S. Y. Zheng, and P. F. Hu, "Design of wideband circularly polarized antenna using coupled rotated vertical metallic plates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 1, 42-49, Jan. 2018.
9. Nasimuddin, X. Qing and Z. N. Chen, "A wideband circularly polarized stacked slotted microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 84-99, Dec. 2013.
10. Chen, X., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, Y.-L. Yan, and W. Zhao, "Circularly polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna with integrated feeding network for UHF RFID readers," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 542-545, 2010.
11. Chung, H. L., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "A broadband circularly polarized stacked probe-fed patch antenna for UHF RFID applications," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2007, Art. ID 76793, 8 pages, 2007.
12. Kwa, H. W., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband single-fed single-patch circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID applications," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 1-4, San Diego, USA, 2008.
13. Chen, Z. N., X. Qing, and H. L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1275-1282, May 2009.
14. Wu, S., J. Yuan, J. Chen, and Y. Li, "Compact circularly polarized microstrip ring antenna using capacitive coupling structure for RFID readers," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 32617-32623, 2020.
15. Huang, G.-L., C.-Y.-D. Sim, C.-W. Lin, and M.-J. Gao, "Low-profile UHF RFID reader antenna with CP radiation and coupled feeding technique," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 26, No. 9, 819-828, 2016.
16. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, M. Q. Qi, and X. Gao, "Compact circularly polarized antennas combining meta-surfaces and strong space-filling meta-resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3442-3450, Jul. 2013.
17. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and M.-Q. Qi, "A miniaturized triple-band metamaterial antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013.
18. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, M. Q. Qi, T. Cai, and T. J. Cui, "Compact dual-band circular polarizer using twisted Hilbert-shaped chiral metamaterial," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 21, 24912-24921, Oct. 2013.
19. Ng, K.-B., C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Low-cost vertical patch antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth for handheld satellite communications terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1417-1424, Apr. 2015.
20. Zhang, X., L. Zhu, and N.-W. Liu, "Pin-loaded circularly-polarized patch antennas with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 521-528, Feb. 2017.
21. Wang, M.-S., X.-Q. Zhu, Y.-X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Compact circularly polarized patch antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 714-718, Apr. 2018.
22. Liu, H., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and T. Shao, "Coupled line trans-directional coupler with improved power distribution and phase performance," IEEE Int. Symp. Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, 126-128, Seoul, Korea, 2017.
23. Mandal, M. K. and S. Sanyal, "Reduced-length rat-race couplers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2593-2598, Dec. 2007.
24. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2012.