We present the GPUs computation acceleration for a very recurrent electromagnetic problem which is the calculation of the field radiated by electric dipoles in a multilayer structure (Green's tensor in stratified background), based on the well-known Sommerfeld integrals. Using an optimized parallelization scheme, huge computation acceleration is obtained. Applications of such a work are very broad, especially for the modeling of stratified light emitting devices, or as a building block for the calculation of optical scattering by complex shape structures, when using methods as discrete dipole approximation (DDA) or method of moments (MoM) for example.
2. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Krieger Publishing Co., Inc., 1968.
3. Hafner, C., The Generalized Multipole Technique for Computational Electromagnetics, Artech, 1990.
4. Yee, K., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, 302-307, 1966.
5. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 114, 185-200, 1994.
6. Sommerfeld, A., "Propagation of waves in wireless telegraphy," Ann. Phys. (Leipzig), Vol. 28, 665-737, 1909.
7. Michalski, K. A. and J. R. Mosig, "Multilayered media Green's functions in integral equation formulations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 508-519, March 1997.
8. Barkeshli, S., P. H. Pathak, and M. Marin, "An asymptotic closed-form microstrip surface Green's function for the efficient moment method analysis of mutual coupling in microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1374-1383, September 1990.
9. Ayatollahi, M. and S. Safavi-Naeini, "A new representation for the Green's function of multilayer media based on plane wave expansion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1548-1557, June 2004.
10. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. E. Howard, "A closed-form spatial Green's function for the thick microstrip substrate," IEEE Trans Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 3, 588-592, March 1991.
11. Ling, F. and J.-M. Jin, "Discrete complex image method for Green's functions of general multilayer media," IEEE Microw. Guided wave Lett., Vol. 10, 400-402, October 2000.
12. Yuan, M. and T. K. Sarkar, "Computation of the Sommerfeld integral tails using the matrix pencil method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1358, April 2006.
13. Paulus, M. , P. Gay-Balmaz, and O. J. F. Martin, "Accurate and efficient computation of the Green's tensor for stratified media," Physical Review E, Vol. 62, No. 4, 5797-5807, October 2000.
14. Novotny, L., "Allowed and forbidden light in near-field optics in a single dipolar light source," JOSA B, Vol. 14, 91-104, 1997.
15. Xu, , X.-B. and Y. F. Huang, "An efficient analysis of vertical dipole antennas above a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 353-377, 2007.
16. Jarchi, S., J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Analysis of microstrip dipole antennas on a layered metamaterial substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 755-764, 2010.
17. Parise, M., "Exact electromagnetic field excited by a vertical magnetic dipole on the surface of a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 69-82, 2010.
18. Poljak, D. and V. Doric, "Wire antenna of simple grounding systems, Part I: The vertical grounding electrode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 149-166, 2006.
19. Poljak, D. and V. Doric, "Wire antenna model for transient analysis of simple grounding systems, Part II: The horizontal grounding electrode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 167-189, 2006.
20. Gao, P. C. , Y.-B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Fast RCS prediction using multiresolution shooting and bouncing ray method on the GPU," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 187-202, 2010.
21. Tao, Y.-B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "From CPU to GPU: GPU-based electromagnetic computing (GPUECO)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 1-19, 2008.
22. Zainud-Deen, S. H. , E. Hassan, M. S. Ibrahim, K. H. Awadalla, and A. Z. Botros, "Electromagnetic scattering using GPU-based finite difference frequency domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 351-369, 2009.
23. Xu, K., Z. Fan, D.-Z. Ding, and R.-S. Chen, "GPU accelerated unconditionally stable Crank-Nicolson FDTD method for the analysis of three-dimensional microwave circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 381-395, 2010.
24. Tay, W. C., D. Y. Heh, and E. L. Tan, "GPU-accelerated fundamental ADI-FDTD with complex frequency shifted convolutional perfectly matched layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 14, 177-192, 2010.
25. De Donno, D., A. Esposito, and L. Tarricone, "Introduction to GPU computing and CUDA programming: A case study on FDTD," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 3, 116-122, June 2010.
26. De Donno, D., A. Esposito, G. Monti, and L. Tarricone, "Parallel efficient method of moments exploiting graphics processing units," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2568-2572, November 2010.
27. De Donno, D., A. Esposito, G. Monti, and L. Tarricon, "GPU-based acceleration of MPIE/MoM matrix calculation for the analysis of microstrip circuits," The 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-15, Rome, Italy, April 2011.
28. Peng, S. and N. Zaiping, "Acceleration of the method of moments calculations by using graphics processing units," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 7, 2130-2133, July 2008.
29. Halfhill, T. R., "Parallel processing with CUDA," Microprocessor Report, 2008.
30., Nvidia, "Programming guide version 1.0,", 2007, http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/1 0/NVIDIA CUDA Programming Guide 1.0.pdf.
31. and MatlabWorks, "Numerically evaluate integral, adaptive GaussKronrod quadrature,", http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/ quadgk.html.
32. Zhang, S. and J. Jin, "Computation of special functions,", http://jin.ece.uiuc.edu/routines/routines.html.
33., MathWorks, "Mex-file guide,", http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1600/1605.html.
34., Nvidia, "Accelerating matlab with cuda using mex file,", http://www.developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/1 0/AcceleratingtextdiscountMatlabndiscount20withntextdiscount20-CUDA.pdf.