We propose a novel numerical approach for the optimal design of wide-area heterogeneous electromagnetic metasurfaces beyond the conventionally used unit-cell approximation. The proposed method exploits the combination of Rigorous Coupled Wave Analysis (RCWA) and global optimization techniques (two evolutionary algorithms namely the Genetic Algorithm (GA) and a modied form of the Articial Bee Colony (ABC with memetic search phase method) are considered). As a specic example, we consider the design of beam deflectors using all-dielectric nanoantennae for operation in the visible wavelength region; beam deflectors can serve as building blocks for other more complicated devices like metalenses. Compared to previous reports using local optimization approaches our approach improves device eciency; transmission eciency is especially improved for wide deflection angle beam deflectors. The ABC method with memetic search phase is also an improvement over the more commonly used GA as it reaches similar eciency levels with a 35% reduction in computation time. The method described here is of interest for the rapid design of a wide variety of electromagnetic metasurfaces irrespective of their operational wavelength.
2. Lin, D., P. Fan, E. Hasman, and M. L. Brongersma, "Dielectric gradient metasurface optical elements," Science, Vol. 345, No. 6194, 298-302, 2014.
3. Meinzer, N., W. L. Barnes, and I. R. Hooper, "Plasmonic meta-atoms and metasurfaces," Nature Photonics, Vol. 8, No. 12, 889-898, 2014.
4. Huidobro, P. A., M. Kraft, S. A. Maier, and J. B. Pendry, "Graphene as a tunable anisotropic or isotropic plasmonic metasurface," ACS Nano, Vol. 10, 5499-5506, 2016.
5. Minovich, A. E., A. E. Miroshnichenko, A. Y. Bykov, T. V. Murzina, D. N. Neshev, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Functional and nonlinear optical metasurfaces," Laser and Photonics Reviews, Vol. 9, No. 2, 195-213, 2015.
6. Yu, N. and F. Capasso, "Flat optics with designer metasurfaces," Nature Materials, Vol. 13, No. 2, 139-150, 2014.
7. Aieta, F., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, N. Yu, R. Blanchard, Z. Gaburro, and F. Capasso, "Aberration-free ultrathin flat lenses and axicons at telecom wavelengths based on plasmonic metasurfaces," Nano Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 4932-4936, 2012.
8. Campione, S., L. I. Basilio, L. K. Warne, and M. B. Sinclair, "Tailoring dielectric resonator geometries for directional scattering and Huygens’ metasurfaces," Optics Express, Vol. 23, No. 3, 2293, 2015.
9. Decker, M., I. Staude, M. Falkner, J. Dominguez, D. N. Neshev, I. Brener, T. Pertsch, and Y. S. Kivshar, "High-efficiency dielectric huygens’ surfaces," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 3, No. 6, 813-820, 2015.
10. Staude, I., A. E. Miroshnichenko, M. Decker, N. T. Fofang, S. Liu, E. Gonzales, J. Dominguez, T. S. Luk, D. N. Neshev, I. Brener, and Y. Kivshar, "Tailoring directional scattering through magnetic and electric resonances in subwavelength silicon nanodisks," ACS Nano, Vol. 7, No. 9, 7824-7832, 2013.
11. Arbabi, A., Y. Horie, M. Bagheri, and A. Faraon, "Dielectric metasurfaces for complete control of phase and polarization with subwavelength spatial resolution and high transmission," Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 10, No. 11, 937-943, 2015.
12. Arbabi, A., Y. Horie, A. J. Ball, M. Bagheri, and A. Faraon, "Subwavelength-thick lenses with high numerical apertures and large efficiency based on high contrast transmitarrays," Nature Communications, Vol. 6, 1-10, 2015.
13. Arbabi, E., A. Arbabi, S. M. Kamali, Y. Horie, and A. Faraon, "Multiwavelength polarization insensitive lenses based on dielectric metasurfaces with meta-molecules," Optica, No. 6, 1-12, 2016.
14. Pfeiffer, C. and A. Grbic, "Millimeter-wave transmitarrays for wavefront and polarization control," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 12, 4407-4417, 2013.
15. Pfeiffer, C. and A. Grbic, "Planar lens antennas of subwavelength thickness: Collimating leaky-waves with metasurfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 7, 3248-3253, 2015.
16. Hsu, L. Y., T. Lepetit, and B. Kant, "Extremely thin dielectric metasurface for carpet cloaking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 152, 33-40, 2015.
17. Byrnes, S. J, A. Lenef, F. Aieta, and F. Capasso, "Designing large, high-efficiency, high-numerical-aperture, transmissive meta-lenses for visible light," Optics Express, Vol. 24, No. 5, 5110, 2016.
18. Zhou, M., S. Busk Sørensen, E. Jørgensen, P. Meincke, O. S. Kim, and O. Breinbjerg, "Analysis of printed reflectarrays using extended local periodicity," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1494-1498, 2011.
19. Yu, Y. F., A. Y. Zhu, R. Paniagua-Dom`ınguez, Y. H. Fu, B. Luk’yanchuk, and A. I. Kuznetsov, "High-transmission dielectric metasurface with 2π phase control at visible wavelengths," Laser and Photonics Reviews, Vol. 9, No. 4, 412-418, 2015.
20. Egorov, V., M. Eitan, and J. Scheuer, "Genetically optimized all-dielectric metasurfaces," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 3, 937-943, 2017.
21. Cheng, J., D. Ansari-Oghol-Beig, and H. Mosallaei, "Wave manipulation with designer dielectric metasurfaces," Optics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 21, 6285-6288, 2014.
22. Guo, Z., L. Zhu, F. Shen, H. Zhou, and R. Gao, "Dielectric metasurface based high-efficiency polarization splitters," RSC Advances, Vol. 7, No. 16, 9872-9879, 2017.
23. Liu, V. and S. Fan, "S4: A free electromagnetic solver for layered periodic structures," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 183, No. 10, 2233-2244, 2012.
24. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997.
25. Karaboga, D. and B. Basturk, "A powerful and efficient algorithm for numerical function optimization: Artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm," Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 39, No. 3, 459-471, 2007.
26. Moscato, P. and C. Cotta, "A gentle introduction to memetic algorithms," Building, Vol. 7, No. 19, 1-36, 2003.
27. Bolaji, A. L., A. T. Khader, M. A. Al-Betar, and M. A. Awadallah, "Artificial bee colony algorithm, its variants and applications: A survey," Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 47, No. 2, 434-459, 2013.
28. Fister, I., J. Brest, and V. Zumer, "Memetic artificial bee colony algorithm for large-scale global optimization," Proceedings of IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, 2012.
29. Bansal, J. C., H. Sharma, K. V. Arya, and A. Nagar, "Memetic search in artificial bee colony algorithm," Soft Computing, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1911-1928, 2013.
30. Wang, H., D. Wang, and S. Yang, "A memetic algorithm with adaptive hill climbing strategy for dynamic optimization problems," Soft Computing, Vol. 13, No. 8-9, 763-780, 2009.