This paper aims to study the synthesis of negative magnetic permeability and how this leads into some physical phenomena such as the appearance of backward waves and the propagation below cutoff. The extraction of the polarizability tensors of the edge coupled split ring resonator is derived, and the existence of bianisotropic effects of this case is investigated. It is shown how to avoid the bianisotropic effects through using a proposed design. inally, the backward wave of the proposed design with lower losses than the edge coupled split ring resonator is shown by simulation.
2. Indhumathi, G., G. S. Karthika, and S. Muthulakshmi, "Metamaterial triangular split ring resonator antenna for wireless applications," SSRG International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering --- (ICRTECITA-2017), Special Issue, March 2017.
3. Bage, A. and S. Das, "A compact, wideband waveguide bandpass filter using complementary loaded split ring resonators ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 64, 51-59, 2016.
4. Zhang, S., W. J. Fa, B. K. Minhas, A. Frauenglass, K. J. Malloy, and S. R. J. Brueck, Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 94, 037402, 2005.
5. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, John Willey and Sons, 2008.
6. Hayt, W., Engineering Electromagnetics, 5th Ed., MC Graw-Hill, 1989.
7. Shelkunoff, S. A. and H. T. Friis, Antennas Theory and Practice, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1966.
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
9. Marques, R., J. Martel, F. Mesa, and F. Medina, "Left-handed-media simulation and transmission of EM waves in subwavelength split-ring-resonator-loaded metallic waveguides," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 89, No. 18, 183901, 2002.
10. Hrabar, S., J. Bartolic, and Z. Sipus, "Waveguide miniaturization using uniaxial negative permeability metamaterial," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 110-119, 2005.
11. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, IEEE Press, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 2006.
12. Yazdi, M., M. Albooyeh, N. Komjani, and C. Simovski, "Polarizability tensor calculation: Induced local charge and current distributions," Physics, 2015, available at: Arxiv:1508.06081 [Physics.Class-Ph].
13. Marques, R., F. Medina, and R. RachidRafii-El-Idrissi, "Role of bianisotropy in negative permeability and left-handed metamaterials," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, No. 65, 4440, 2002.
14. Marque’s, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Comparative analysis of edge- and broadside-coupled split ring resonators for metamaterial design --- Theory and experiments," Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2003.
15. Busch, K., G. von Freymann, S. Linden, S. F. Mingaleev, L. Tkeshelashvili, and M. Wegener, Phys. Rep., Vol. 444, 101, 2007.
16. Smith, D. R., J. B. Pendry, and M. C. K. Wiltshire, "Metamaterials and negative reflection index," Science, Vol. 305, No. 5685, 788-792, 2004.
17. Alaa, A., et al., "Electromagnetic wave propagation in waveguide loaded by split ring resonator of negative permeability," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications, Vol. 9, No. 8, 113-121, 2017.
18. Meng, F., Q. Wu, D. Erni, and L. Li, "Controllable metamaterial-loaded waveguides supporting backward and forward waves ," Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 9, 3400-3411, 2011.