A circuit theory-based approach for systematically deriving all possible lossless balanced composite right/left-handed transmission lines is described. To illustrate the usefulness of the proposed approach, novel artificial transmission line unit-cells with tri- and quad-band behaviour are proposed. It is shown that the number of right-handed or left-handed frequency bands exhibited by such transmission lines is determined by the order of its unit-cell. It is explained why artificial lossless balanced transmission lines exhibit a stop-band around each pole of their associated continuous transmission line that can not be closed up. Since this approach allows for the systematic derivation of such transmission line unit-cells of arbitrary order, multi-band components based on metamaterial transmission lines are envisaged.
2. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain (eds.), Negative-Refraction Metamaterials, Fundamental principles and Applications, Wiley, New York, 2005.
3. Ramo, S., J. R. Whinnery, and T. van Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, Wiley, New York, 1994.
4. Brillouin, L., Wave Propagation in Periodic Structures, Dover Publications Inc., New York, 1953.
5. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Mag., Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, Sep. 2004.
6. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, Nov. 2006.
7. Rennings, A., S. Otto, J. Mosig, C. Caloz, and I.Wolff, "Extended composite right/left-handed (E-CRLH) metamaterial and its application as quadband quarter-wavelength transmission line," Asia-Paci¯c Microwave Conference Digest, Yokohama, Japan, Dec. 12-15, 2006.
8. Eleftheriades, G. V., "A generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 6, 415-417, June 2007.
9. Rennings, A., T. Liebig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Double-Lorentz transmission line metamaterials and its applications to tri-band devices," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1427-1430, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, June 2007.
10. Kuo, F. F., Network Analysis and Synthesis, Wiley, New York, 1966.
11. Jachowski, D. R. and C. M. Krowne, "Frequency dependence of left-handed and right-handed periodic transmission structures," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1831-1834, Fort Worth, Texas, USA, June 6-11, 2004.
12. Elliot, R. S., An Introduction to Guided Waves and Microwave Circuits, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1993.