A coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with a notch band characteristic is presented in the paper. The radiation patch of the proposed UWB antenna is designed using cantor set fractal technology. The bandwidth is broadened by setting two symmetrical triangular tapered corners at the bottom of the wide slot of the proposed UWB antenna. The notched band characteristic is achieved by employing a T-shaped tuning stub at the top of the wide slot. The notched band can be controlled by adjusting the length and the width of the T-shaped tuning stub to give tunable notched band function. The proposed cantor set fractal wide slot UWB antenna has been designed in details and optimized. Experimental and numerical results show that the proposed antenna, with compact size of 26×21 mm2, has an impedance bandwidth range from 2.8 GHz to 11 GHz for voltage standing-wave ratio (VSWR) less than 2, except the notch band frequency 5.0 GHz-6.3 GHz for HIPERLAN/2 and IEEE 802.11a (5.1 GHz-5.9 GHz).
2. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 7, 403-405, 2004.
3. Lee, S. H., J. K. Park, and J. N. Lee, "A novel CPW-fed ultrawideband antenna design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 393-395, 2005.
4. Zheng, Z. A. and Q. X. Chu, "CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna with compact size," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 12, 593-594, 2009.
5. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact coplanar waveguide-fed ultrawideband monopole- like slot antenna," IET Microwave Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 889-898, 2009.
6. Li, Z., C.-X. Zhang, G.-M. Wang, and W.-R. Su, "Designs on CPW-FED aperture antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 1-6, 2008.
7. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wide band shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 45, 901-903, 2003.
8. Pu, L. and X.-M. Zhang, "Design of a low-profile dual exponentially tapered slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 67-74, 2009.
9. Kim, H. and C. W. Jung, "Ultra-wideband endfire directional tapered slot antenna using CPW to wide-slot transition," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 17, 1183-1185, 2010.
10. Dastranj, A. and M. Biguesh, "Broadband coplanar waveguide-FED wide-slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 89-101, 2010.
11. Gao, G. P., J. S. Zhang, and T. Jin, "Printed ultra-wide band microstrip-line fed slot antenna with a band-notched function," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1573-1576, 2009.
12. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
13. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband Antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures ," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009.
14. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Planar monopole UWB antenna with unii1/unii2 WLAN-band notched characteristics ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 277-292, 2010.
15. Eshtiaghi, R., R. Zaker, J. Nouronia, and C. Ghobadi, "UWB semi-elliptical printed monopole antenna with subband rejection filter," AEÜ-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 64, No. 2, 133-141, 2010.
16. Ahmadi, B. and R. Faraji-Dana, "A miniaturised monopole antenna for ultra-wide band applications with band notch filter," IET Microwave Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1224-1231, 2009.
17. Mohd Sobli, N. H. and H. E. Abd-El-Raouf, "Design of a compact printed band-notched antenna for ultrawideband communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 57-78, 2008.
18. Li, Y. S., X. D. Yang, C. Y. Liu, and T. Jiang, "Compact CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 14, 967-968, 2010.
19. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010.
20. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009.
21. Chang, T. N. and M. C. Wu, "Band-notched design for UWB Antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 636-640, 2008.
22. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2 GHz notched ultrawideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, 2006.
23. Puente-Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 46, No. 4, 517-524, 1998.
24. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1784, 2000.
25. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, 2003.
26. Vinoy, K. J., K. A. Jose, V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Resonant frequency of Hilbert curve fractal antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 648-651, 2001.
27. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low VSWR UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008.
28. Manimegalai, B., S. Raju, and V. Abhaikumar, "A multi-fractal cantor antenna for multiband wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 359-362, 2009.
29. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Hand Book, 1st Ed., 794-795, Artech House, 2001.