Radio Frequency Energy harvesting is a research topic of increasing interest, related to sustainability, which could become a promising alternative to existing energy resources. The paper will show all the activities addressed to design a wideband system to recover wideband energy from electromagnetic sources present in the environment. The main idea is to develop battery-free wireless sensors able to capture the available energy into the mentioned bandwidth. The final goal is to realize self-powered Wireless Networks based on Ultra Lower Power - ULP sensors minimizing the need of dedicated batteries. This last feature is particularly attractive in different kind of applications, ranging from military to civil cases. A first system prototype is shown and discussed. Conclusion follows.
2. Meninger, S., J. O. Mur-Miranda, R. Amirtharajah, A. Chandrakasan, and J. H. Lang, "Vibration-to-electric energy conversion," IEEE Trans. on VLSI Systems, Vol. 9, No. 1, 64-76, Feb. 2001.
3., , Decree of President of the Council of Ministers, Jul. 8, 2003.
4. Zhu, N., K. Chang, M. Tuo, P. Jin, H. Xin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Design of a high-efficiency rectenna for 1.575 GHz wireless low power transmission,", Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA, 2011.
5. Akkermans, J. A. G., M. C. van Beurden, G. J. N. Doodeman, and H. J. Visser, "Analytical models for low-power rectenna design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 2005.
6. Razavi, B., RF Microelectronics, Prentice Hall PTR, 1997.
7. Karthaus, U. and M. Fischer, "Fully integrated passive UHF RFID transponder IC with 16.7-μm minimum RF input power," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, 1602-1608, Oct. 2003.
8. De Vita, A. and G. lannaccone, "Design criteria for the RF section of long range passive RFID systems," Proc. Norchip Conference, 107-110, Oslo, Norway, 2004.
9. Buted, R. R., "Zero bias detector diodes for the RF/ID market," Hewlett-Packard Journal, Dec. 2005.
10. Yan, H., M. Popadic, J. C. Macias, L. C. N. de Vreede, A. Akhnoukh, and L. K. Nanver, "Design of an RF power Harvester in a silicon-on-glass technology," Proc. of 19th Annual Workshop on Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, 287-290, Ultrcht, 2008.
11. Wilas, J., K. Jirasereeamornkul, and P. Kumhom, "Power harvester design for semi-passive UHF RFID tag using a tunable impedance transformation," Proc. of the IEEE Conference ISCIT, 1441-1445, Sep. 2009.
12. Olgun, U., C. C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Investigation of rectenna array configurations for enhanced RF power harvesting," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 2011.
13. Hagerty, J. A. , F. B. Helmbrecht, W. H. McCalpin, R. Zane, and Z. B. Popovic, "Recycling ambient microwave energy with broad-band rectenna arrays," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, Mar. 2004.