The increasing popularity of a so-called transient motor current signature analysis requires the fault diagnostics parameters which could not be exposed to other factors irrelevant to the fault to make a precise assessment of the failure severity level. This challenging task needs a precise modeling of faulty motor behavior in various operating conditions at different fault severity levels. This paper introduces a new approach to a finite element analysis of an induction motor with broken rotor bars during startup. The approach is based on the principle of superposition and contributes to examination of the fault rotor backward rotating magnetic field and current components produced by such field separating them from stator currents. It gives a new sight on the behavior of a faulty motor during startup for the diagnosis purposes. Further analysis of the simulation data by means of the Extended Park's Vector Approach and the continuous wavelet transform and its experimental validation is also represented in the paper.
2. Kliman, G. B. and J. Stein, "Induction motor fault detection via passive current monitoring," Proc. of Int. Conf. Electrical Machines, (ICEM), 13-17, 1990.
3. Nandi, S. and H. A. Toliyat, "Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of electrical machines --- A review," Proc. of Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 1, 197-204, 1999.
4. Kliman, G. B., R. A. Koegl, J. Stein, R. D. Endicott, and M. W. Madden, "Noninvasive detection of broken rotor bars in operating induction motors," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 3, No. 4, 873-879, Dec. 1998.
5. Elkasabgy, N. M., A. R. Eastham, and G. E. Dawson, "Detection of broken rotor bars in the cage rotor on an induction machine," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 28, No. 1, 165-171, Jan./Feb. 1992.
6. Bellini, A., F. Filippetti, G. Franceschini, C. Tassoni, and G. B. Kliman, "Quantitative evaluation of induction motor broken bars by means of electrical signature analysis," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 5, 1248-1255, Sep./Oct. 2001.
7. Garcia-Perez, A., R. J. Romero-Troncoso, E. Cabal-Yepez, R. A. Osornio-Rios, J. de Jesus Rangel-Magdaleno, and , "Startup current analysis of incipient broken rotor bar in induction motors using high-resolution spectral analysis," Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives, 657-663, Sept. 2011.
8. Kechida, R. and A. Menacer, "DWT wavelet transform for the rotor bars faults detection in induction motor," Proc. of 2nd Int. Conf. on Electric Power and Energy Conversion Systems, 1-5, Nov. 2011.
9. Keskes, H., A. Braham, and Z. Lachiri, "Broken rotor bar diagnosis in induction machines through Stationary Wavelet Packet Transform under lower sampling rate," Proc. of 1st Int. Conf. on Renewable Energies and Vehicular Technology, 452-459, Mar. 2012.
10. Riera-Guasp, M., J. A. Antonino-Daviu, M. Pineda-Sanchez, R. Puche-Panadero, and J. Perez-Cruz, "A general approach for the transient detection of slip-dependent fault components based on the discrete wavelet transform," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron.,, Vol. 55, No. 12, 4167-4180.
11. Douglas, H., P. Pillay, and A. K. Ziarani, "A new algorithm for transient motor current signature analysis using wavelets," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, No. 5, 1361-1368, Sep./Oct. 2004.
12. Faiz, J. and B.-M. Ebrahimi, "A new pattern for detecting broken rotor bars in induction motors during start-up," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 12, 4673-4683, Dec. 2008.
13. Zhang, Z., Z. Ren, and W. Huang, "A novel detection method of motor broken rotor bars based on wavelet ridge," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 18, No. 5, 417-423, Sept. 2003.
14. Ordaz-Moreno, A., R. de Jesus Romero-Troncoso, J. A. Vite-Frias, J. R. Rivera-Gillen, and A. Garcia-Perez, "Automatic online diagnosis algorithm for broken-bar detection on induction motors based on discrete wavelet transform for FPGA implementation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 5, 2193-2202, May 2008.
15. Pineda-Sanchez, M., M. Riera-Guasp, J. A. Antonino-Daviu, J. Roger-Folch, J. Perez-Cruz, and R. Puche-Panadero, "Instantaneous frequency of the left sideband harmonic during the start-up transient a new method for diagnosis of broken bars," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 11, 4557-4570, Nov. 2009.
16. Supangat, R., N. Ertugrul, W. L. Soong, D. A. Gray, C. Hansen, and J. Grieger, "Broken rotor bar fault detection in induction motors using starting current analysis," Proc. of European Conf. on Power Electronics and Applications, 1-10, 2005.
17. Deleroi, W., "Squirrel cage motor with broken bar in the rotor --- Physical phenomena and their experimental assessment," Proc. of Int. Conf. on Electrical Machines, 767-770, 1982.
18. Riera-Guasp, M., J. A. Antonino-Daviu, J. Roger-Folch, and M. P. Molina Palomares, "The use of the wavelet approximation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 3, 716-726, May/Jun. 2008.
19. Sprooten, J., J. Gyselinck, and J. C. Maun, "Local and global effect of a broken bar in induction machines using fundamental electromagnetic laws and finite element simulations," Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives, 1-6, Sept. 2005.
20. Aroui, T., Y. Koubaa, and A. Toumi, "Magnetic coupled circuits modeling of induction machines oriented to diagnostics modeling of induction machines oriented to diagnostics," Leonardo Journal of Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 13, 103-121, Jul./Dec. 2008.
21. Sprooten, J., J. Gyselinck, J.-C. Maun, and , "Comparison of models of faulty induction motors: Performances and applications," Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives, 132-137, Sept. 2007.
22. Zhang, L. and T. S. Cheang, "Two new approaches to analysis of inner-fault of squirrel-cage rotor for three-phase induction motors," Proc. of 5th Int. Conf. on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 1, 51-55, 2001.
23. Samonig, M. A., P. Nussbaumer, G. Stojicic, and T. M. Wolbank, "Analysis of rotor fault detection in inverter fed induction machines at no load by means of finite element method," Proc.of 37th Annual Conf. on IEEE Ind. Electron. Society, 1758-1763, Nov. 2011.
24. Zouzou, S. E., S. Khelif, N. Halem, and M. Sahraoui, "Analysis of induction motor with broken rotor bars using finite element method," Proc. of 2nd Int. Conf. on Electric Power and Energy Conversion Systems, 1-5, Nov. 2011.
25. Kuptsov, V. V., A. S. Sarvarov, and A. S. Gorzunov, "Development of current signature analysis technique to detect faults in induction motors by oscillograms of unsteady-state machine operation," Vestnik Yuzhno-Ural'skogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta, Seriya Energetika, Vol. 34, No. 12, 60-67, Jun. 2009 (in Russian).
26. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Time stepping finite element analysis of broken bars fault in a three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 53-70, 2007.
27. Vaseghi, B., N. Takorabet, and F. Meibody-Tabar, "Transient finite element analysis of induction machines with stator winding turn fault," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 1-18, 2009.
28. Bouzida, A., O. Touhami, R. Ibtiouen, A. Belouchrani, M. Fadel, and , "Fault diagnosis in industrial induction machines through discrete wavelet transform," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, 4385-4395, Sept. 2011.
29. Akn, B., S. Choi, U. Orguner, and H. A. Toliyat, "A simple real-time fault signature monitoring tool for motor drive embedded fault diagnosis systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1990-2001, May 2011.
30. Cruz, S. M. A. and A. J. Marques Cardoso, "Stator winding fault diagnosis in three-phase synchronous and asynchronous motors, by the extended Park's vector approach," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 5, 1227-1233, Sept./Oct. 2001.
31. Daubechies, I., "The wavelet transform, time-frequency localization and signal analysis," IEEE Trans. Information Theory, Vol. 36, No. 5, 961-1005, Sep. 1990.
32. Mallat, S., A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing, Academic, San Diego, CA, 1999.
33. Misiti, M., Y. Misiti, G. Oppenheim, and J. M. Poggi, Wavelet Toolbox, User's Guide for Matlab, MathWorks, Natick, MA, Jun. 2004.
34. Abu-Rub, H., A. Iqbal, S. K. M. Ahmed, J. Guzinski, M. Adamowicz, and M. Rahiminia, "Rotor broken bar diagnostics in induction motor drive using Wavelet packet transform and ANFIS classification," Proc. of Int. Conf. on Electric Machines & Drives Conference, 365-370, May 2011.
35. Cusido, J., L. Romeral, J. A. Ortega, J. A. Rosero, and A. Garcia Espinosa, "Fault detection in induction machines using power spectral density in wavelet decomposition," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 2, 633-643, Feb. 2008.
36. Sadeghian, A., Z. Ye, and B. Wu, "Online detection of broken rotor bars in induction motors by wavelet packet decomposition and artificial neural networks," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2253-2263, Jul. 2009.