Fractal arrays are used to increase the bandwidth of the antenna and to reduce grating lobes. The frequency range from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz is specially allocated for the UWB applications. In this paper, a novel antenna based on fractal concepts for ultra wideband (UWB) applications is analyzed, designed, fabricated and tested. Further the antenna is analyzed using the emerging fractal concepts and transmission line method (TLM). The proposed antenna has a good gain bandwidth with broadside radiation pattern. This design is suitable for 3D IC inter-chip and intra-chip communication, and medical imaging applications. This is called Levy's antenna.
2. Win, M. Z. and R. A. Scholtz, "Impulse radio: How it works," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 2, 36-38, 1998.
3. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
4. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
5. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
6. Lee, J. N. and J. K. Park, "Compact UWB chip antenna design using the coupling concept," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 341-351, 2009.
7. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
8. Malekpoor, H. and S. Jam, "Ultra-wideband shorted patch antennas FED by folded-patch with multi resonances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 309-326, 2012.
9. Reddy, , G. S., S. K. Mishra, S. Kharche, and J. Mukherjee, "High gain and low cross-polar compact printed elliptical monopole UWB antenna loaded with partial ground and parasitic patches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 151-167, 2012.
10. Tilanthe, P., P. C. Sharma, and T. K. Bandopadhyay, "A monopole microstrip antenna with enhanced dual band rejection for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 315-331, 2012.
11. Jusoh, M., M. F. B. Jamlos, M. R. B. Kamarudin, M. F. B. A. Malek, "A MIMO antenna design challenges for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 357-371, 2012.
12. Lin, S., L.-Z. Wang, Y. Wang, X.-Y. Zhang, and H.-J. Zhang, "Design and analysis of a circular polarization microstrip antenna with koch fractal edges," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 9-19, 2012.
13. Gomez-Nu~nez, E., H. Jardon-Aguilar, J. A. Tirado-Mendez, and R. Flores-Leal, "Ultra-wideband slotted disc antenna compatible with cognitive radio applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 53-63, 2012.
14. Pouyanfar, N. and S. Ahdi Rezaeieh, "Compact UWB antenna with inverted hat shaped resonator and shortening via pins for filtering properties," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 187-196, 2012.
15. Hayouni, M., A. El Oualkadi, F. Choubani, T. H. Vuong, and J. David, "Antenna ultra wideband enhancement by non-uniform matching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 121-129, 2012.
16. Zhang, S.-M., F.-S. Zhang, W.-Z. Li, T. Quan, and H.-Y. Wu, "A compact UWB monopole antenna with wimax and WLAN band rejections," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 159-168, 2012.
17. Xu, F., L. Tang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Active UWB printed antenna with tunable and switchable band-notched functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 21-28, 2012.
18. Jiang, W., et al., "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2011.
19. Heong, O. K., et al., "Circuit modeling for rectangular printed disc monopole antenna with slot for UWB system," Third International Conference on Intelligent Systems Modelling and Simulation, 2012.
20. Ghavamani, M., L. B. Michael, and R. Kohno, Ultra Wideband Signals and Systems in Communication Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2008.
21. Vaughan, R. and J. B. Andersen, "Channels, propagation and antennas for mobile communications,", Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, 2003.
22. Chen, Z. N., X. H. Wu, H. F. Li, N. Yang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Considerations for source pulses and antennas in UWB radio systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1739-1748, 2004.
23. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002.
24. Best, S. R., "The fractal loop antenna: A comparison of fractal and non-fractal geometries," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 2001.
25. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, Feb. 2003.
26. Kim, Y. and D. L. Jaggard, "The fractal random array Proceedings of the IEEE,", Vol. 74, No. 9, 1278-1280, 1986.
27. Lakhtakia, A., N. S. Holter, and V. K. Varadan, "Self-similarity in diffraction by a self-similar fractal screen," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 2, 236-239, Feb. 1987.
28. Gross, F. B., Editor-in-chief, Frontiers in Antennas: Next Generation Design & Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2011.
29. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haupt, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of fractal antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 5, Oct. 1999.
30. Liang, X., W. Zhenson, and W. Wenbing, "Synthesis of fractal patterns from concentric-ring arrays," IEEE Elec. Letters, Oct. 1996.
31. Baliarda, C. P. and R. Pous, "Fractal design of multiband and low side-lobe arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, May 1996.
32. Mandelbrot, B. B., The Fractal Geometry of Nature, W. H. Freeman and Company, New York, 1983, ISBN: 978-0716711865.
33. Rudge, A. W., et al., "The Handbook of Antenna Design,", P. Peregrinus on behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, 1982-1983.
34. Waterhouse, R. Editor, "Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications," Wiley, Chichester, England; Hoboken, NJ, 2007.
35. Levy, M., et al., "Rapid beam forming in smart antennas using smart-fractal concepts employing combinational approach algorithms," International Journal on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Oct. 2012.
36. Levy, M., D. S. Kumar, A. Dinh, and S. Bose, "A novelistic approach for rapid beam forming in smart antennas for wireless applications using smart-fractal concepts and new algorithm," International Conference on Advances in Mobile Network, Communication and its Applications, (MNCAPPS), 5-1, Aug. 1-2, 2012, doi: 10.1109/MNCApps.2012.7.
37. Valderas, D., et al., Ultra Wideband Antennas, Imperial College Press, 2011.
38. Jian, X., et al., "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, Nov. 2005.
39. Stutzman, W. L., Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
40. Connor, F. R., Antennas, E. Arnold, London, 1989.
41. Marcuvitz, N, Waveguide Handbook, P. Peregrinus on behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, UK, 1986.
42. ohnson, R. C., Designer Notes for Microwave Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 1991.
43. Bhartia, P., K. V. S. Rao, and R. S. Tomar, Millimeter-wave Microstrip and Printed Circuit Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 1991.
44. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
45. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design," Harper & Row, New York, Toronto, 1982.
46. Hansen, R. C. Editor, Moment Methods in Antennas and Scattering, Artech House, Boston, 1990.
47. Kuecken, J. A., "Exploring Antennas and Transmission Lines by the Personal Computer," Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1986.
48. Fujimotom, K., et al., Small Antennas, Letchworth, Hertfordshire, Research Studies Press, England; Wiley, New York, 1987.
49. Lee, K. F., Principles of Antenna Theory,, Wiley, Chichester, West Sussex; Wiley, New York, 1984.
50. Silver, S. Editor, Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, P. Peregrinus on behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, UK, 1984.
51. Carr, J. J., Practical Antenna Handbook, TAB Books, New York, 1994.
52. Chatterjee, R., Antenna Theory and Practice, Wiley, New York, 1988.
53. Burberry, R. A., VHF and UHF Antennas, P. Peregrinus on behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, 1992.
54. Gri±ths, J., Radio Wave Propagation and Antennas: An Introduction, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1987.
55. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, "Microstrip Antenna: Theory and design," Peter Peregrinus on behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, New York, 1981.
56. Weeks, W. L., Antenna Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.
57. Wolff, E. A., "Antenna Analysis," Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1988.
58. Wait, J. R., Introduction to Antennas & Propagation, P. Peregrinus on behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, UK, 1986.