The objective of this paper is all-angle artificial magnetic conductor, i.e., artificial magnetic conductor that has stable magnetic-wall effect with respect to the incidence angle. Furthermore, we seek for a design that would be easy for manufacturing. In order to achieve this we use grounded uniaxial material slabs and we do not constrict ourselves to naturally available materials. Instead, we assume that the desired parameters can be synthesized using the emerging artificial electromagnetic materials. It is found that it is possible to have an all-angle magnetic-wall effect for both TE and TM polarization. Especially for the TM fields the structure would be easily manufacturable. The proposed structure has similar appearance as more well-known artificial impedance surfaces, but the design parameters and the physical properties behind the magnetic wall effect are novel. The performance of the proposed artificial magnetic conductor is verified with numerical simulations. This paper introduces a new approach how to obtain a magnetic-wall effect. It is possible to use this this approach also together with other ways of obtaining the magnetic-wall effect for dual-band operation.
Constantin R. Simovski,
"Grounded Uniaxial Material Slabs as Magnetic Conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 15, 267-283, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09050702
1. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopoulos, and E. Yablonovich, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
2. Monorchio, A., G. Manara, and L. Lanuzza, "Synthesis of artificial magnetic conductors by using multilayered frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, No. 11, 196-199, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2002.807956
3. Clavijo, S., R. E. Diaz, W. E. McKinzie, and III, "High-impedance surfaces: An artificial magnetic conductor for a positive gain electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2678-2690, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817575
4. Kern, D. J., D. H. Werner, A. Monorchio, L. Lanuzza, and M. J. Wilhelm, "The design synthesis of multiband artificial magnetic conductors using high impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 8-17, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840540
5. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, W. Shenhong, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Arti¯cial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840528
6. Simovski, C. R., P. de Maagt, and I. V. Melchakova, "High-impedance surface having stable resonance with respect to polarization and incidence angle ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 454-460, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842598
7. Goussettis, G., A. P. Feresidis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Tailoring the AMC and EBG characteristics of periodic metallic arrays printed on grounded dielectric substrate ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 1, 82-89, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861575
8. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, G. Granet, G. Goussetis, D. Lioubtchenko, A. V. Raisanen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Simple and accurate analytical model of planar grids and high-impedance surfaces comprising metal strips or patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1624-1632, June 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923327
9. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, A. V. Raisanen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "An efficient and simple analytical model for analysis of propagation properties in impedance waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1624-1632, July 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.925236
10. Kildal, P.-S., "Artificially soft and hard surfaces in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 10, 1537-1544, Oct. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.59765
11. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. D. Kipple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated by electrically small antennas ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2626-2640, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817561
12. Erentok, A., P. L. Luljak, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Characterization of a volumetric metamaterial realization of an artificial magnetic conductor for antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 160-172, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840534
13. Hirvonen, M. and J. C.-E. Sten, "Power and Q of a horizontal dipole over a metamaterial coated conducting surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 3, 684-690, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916937
14. Hirvonen, M. and S. A. Tretyakov, "Near-zero permittivity substrates for horizontal antennas: Performance enhancement and limitations," Microw. and Optical Techn. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2674-2677, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23739
15. Sihvola, A., S. Tretyakov, and A. de Baas, "Metamaterials with extreme material parameters," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 9, 986-990, 2007. doi:10.1134/S1064226907090057
16. Tretyakov, S. A., Analytical Modeling in Applied Electromagnetics, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2003.
17. Ikonen, P., M. Lapine, I. Nefedov, and S. Tretyakov, "Vector circuit theory for spatially dispersive uniaxial magneto-dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 279-294, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06052902
18. King, R. J., D. V. Thiel, and K. S. Park, "The synthesis of surface reactance using an artificial dielectric," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 31, No. 3, 471-476, May 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143071
19. Silveirinha, M. G., C. A. Fernandes, and J. R. Costa, "Electromagnetic characterization of textured surfaces formed by metallic pins," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 2, 405-415, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915442
20. Shvets, G., "Photonic approach to making a surface wave accelerator," AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 647, 371, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1524892
21. Belov, P. A., R. Marques, S. I. Maslovski, I. S. Nefedov, M. Silveirinha, C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Strong spatial dispersion in wire media in the very large wavelength limit," Physical Review B, Vol. 67, 113103, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.67.113103
22. Simovski, C. R. and P. Belov, "Low-frequency spatial dispersion in wire medium," Physical Review E, Vol. 70, 046616, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.70.046616
24. Yakovlev, A. B., O. Luukkonen, C. R. Simovski, S. A. Tretyakov, S. Paulotto, P. Baccarelli, and G. W. Hanson, "Analytical modeling of surface waves on high impedance surfaces," Metamaterials and Plasmonics: Fundamentals, Modelling, Applications, 239-254, S. Zouhdi, A. Sihvola, and A. P. Vinogradov (eds.), NATO Science for Peace and Security Series B, 2009.
25. Luukkonen, O., M. G. Silveirinha, A. B. Yakovlev, C. R. Simovski, I. S. Nefedov, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Homogenization models for the analysis of reflection properties of mushroom structures," Proc. 2nd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, 208-210, Pamplona, Spain, September 21-26, 2008.
26. Yakovlev, A. B., M. G. Silveirinha, O. Luukkonen, C. R. Simovski, I. S. Nefedov, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Homogenization models for the analysis of surface waves on analysis of surface waves on mushroom structures," Proc. 2nd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, 310-312, Pamplona, Spain, September 21-26, 2008.
27., Ansoft's homepage: http://www.ansoft.com/.
28. Luukkonen, O., F. Costa, A. Monorchio, and S. Tretyakov, "A thin electromagnetic absorber for wide incidence angles and both polarizations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., to appear, preprint available at http://arxiv.org/abs/0807.4831v3.
29. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary and its realization with anisotropic metamaterial," Physical Review E, Vol. 79, 026604, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.79.026604
30. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Uniaxial IB-medium interface and novel boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 3, 694-700, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013431