A new design of dual-port monopole-slot-like microstrip active integrated antenna (AIA) is presented and discussed in this paper. The primary designed passive antenna is capable of supporting two different WLAN bands at 2.4-2.84 GHz and 5.15-5.35 GHz due to its dual-port structure. In order to reduce the transmission coefficient between the two ports of antenna a coupling sleeve-arm and an inverted T-shaped slot are utilized on the ground plane of antenna each beneath one of the corresponding feed-lines which act as filtering structures at desirable frequencies. The proposed passive dual-port antenna is integrated with a power amplifier (PA) and a low noise amplifier forming a dual-port microstrip AIA which can be used as a full-duplex transceiver at its operating WLAN frequency bands. The measured results for both passive and active antennas show that the designed antennas have proper radiation characteristics at their desired operation frequencies. The fabricated passive antenna exhibits dual-band performance at 2-3.42 GHz and 4.5-5.6 GHz while the fabricated AIA covers 2.31-2.82 GHz (at PA port) and 4.45-5.5 GHz (at LNA Port) with 13 dB and 9 dB gain level improvement respectively.
1. Ibrahim, S. H., "Design and analysis considerations of 4 GHz integrated antenna with negative resistance oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 111-131, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08122901
2. Chang, K., R. A. York, P. S. Hall, and T. Itoh, "Active integrated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 3, 937-944, 2002.
3. Bilotti, F., F. Urbani, and L. Vegni, "Design of active integrated antenna for a PCMCIA card," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 253-270, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06012002
4. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Antennas and Propagations Library, 2003.
5. Valizade, A., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, N. Ojaroudi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Band-notch slot antenna with enhanced bandwidth by using -shaped strips protruded inside rectangular slots for UWB applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 27, No. 10, 816-822, 2012.
6. Kaya, A., "High gain rectangular broad band microstrip antenna with embedded negative capacitor and chip resistors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 421-436, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100202
7. Yun, G. H., "Compact oscillator-type active antenna for UHF RFID reader," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 6, 314-315, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20070072
8. Lin, Y. Y. and T. G. Ma, "Frequency-reconfigurable self-oscillating active antenna with gap-loaded ring radiator," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 337-340, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2250475
9. Bonefacic, D., J. Baartolic, and Z. Mustic, "Circular active integrated antenna with push-pull oscillator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 21, 1238-1240, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020861
10. Kurup, D. G., A. Rydberg, and M. Himdi, "Compact microstrip T-coupled patch antenna for dual polarisation and active antenna applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 21, 1240-1241, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020866
11. Lee, J., C. T. M. Wu, and T. Itoh, "A power efficient active integrated antenna," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Letters, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1240-1243, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27543
12. Lin, Y. Y., C. H. Wu, and T. G. Ma, "Minituarized self-oscillating annular ring active integrated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3597-3606, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163782
13. Giuppi, F., A. Georgiadis, A. Collado, M. Bozzi, and L. Perregrini, "Tunable SIW cavity backed active antenna oscillator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 15, 1053-1055, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.0861
14. Wu, C.-H. and T.-G. Ma, "Self-oscillating dual-ring active integrated antenna," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propagation Symp. Digest, 2457-2460, Spokane, WA, 2011.
15. Choi, D. H. and S. O. Park, "Active integrated antenna using a T-shaped microstrip coupled patch antenna," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 434436, 2004.
16. Choi, D. H. and S. O. Park, "A frequency agile active microstrip antenna for CP Operation," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2205-2209, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27033
17. Flynt, R., L. Fan, J. Navarro, and K. Chang, "Low cost and compact active integrated antenna transceiver for system applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 10, 1642-1649, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.538955
18. Cryan, M. J., P. S. Hall, S. H. Tsang, and J. Sha, "Integrated active antenna with full duplex operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 10, 1742-1748, 1997.
19. Kalialakis, C., M. J. Cryan, P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Analysis and design of integrated active circulator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1017-1023, 2000.
20. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) , Ver. 13 and Ansoft Corporation, , 2010.
21. Valizade, A., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and M. Ojaroudi, "A novel design of reconfigurable slot antenna with switchable band notch and multi-resonance functions for UWB applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1166-1169, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2218271
22. Ojaroudi, M., N. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "A novel design of dual band-notched slot antenna using a pair of ¡-shaped protruded strips for UWB applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 28, No. 4, 816-822, 2013.
23. Advanced Design System (ADS), Agilent Corporation, , 2009.