In this paper, the feasibility of Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) couplers, fabricated using single-layer TACONIC RF-35 dielectric substrate is investigated. The couplers have been produced employing a standard PCB process. The choice of the TACONIC RF-35 substrate as alternative to other conventional materials is motivated by its lower cost and high dielectric constant, allowing the reduction of the device size. The coupler requirements are 90-degree phase shift between the output and the coupled ports and frequency bandwidth from about 10.5 GHz to 12.5 GHz. The design and optimization of the couplers have been performed by using the software CST Microwave Studio©. Eight different coupler configurations have been designed and compared. The better three couplers have been fabricated and characterized. The proposed SIW directional couplers could be integrated within more complex planar circuits or utilized as stand-alone devices, because of their compact size. They exhibit good performance and could be employed in communication applications as broadcast signal distribution and as key elements for the construction of other microwave devices and systems.
2. Losito, O., L. Mescia, D. Mencarelli, G. Venanzoni, and F. Prudenzano, "SIW cavity-backed patch antenna for Ku band applications," 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP 2013), 3095-3098, 2013.
3. Losito, O., L. Mescia, M. A. Chiapperino, T. Castellano, G. Venanzoni, D. Mencarelli, G. Angeloni, P. Carta, E. M. Starace, and F. Prudenzan, "X-band SIW cavity-backed patch antenna for radar applications," European Microwave Conference 2013 (EuMW 2013), 199-202, 2013.
4. Cong, Z.-P., P. Wang, and P.-H. Li, "Analysis and experiment of transition between microstrip and a miniaturization substrate integrated waveguide (SIW)," 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, ISAPE' 06, 1-4, Oct. 2006.
5. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001.
6. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, X. P. Chen, and K.Wu, "Planar diplexer for microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., 455-459, 2005.
7. Castellano, T., O. Losito, L. Mescia, M. A. Chiapperino, G. Venanzoni, D. Mencarelli, G. Angeloni, C. Renghini, P. Carta, P. Potenza, and F. Prudenzano, "Substrate integrated waveguide fixed phase shifter for 90o-degree directional coupler," 2013 IEEE Proceeding International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS 2013), 2013.
8. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, H. X. Zhou, and K. Wu, "Single-layer substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers," IEEE Proc. --- Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 5, 426-431, Oct. 2006.
9. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 2, 333-335, Feb. 2002.
10. Yan, L. and W. Hong, "Investigations on the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," IEEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, 2005.
11. Zhang, Y. L., W. Hong, F. Xu, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Analysis of guided wave problems in substrate integrated waveguides --- Numerical simulations and experimental results," IEEE MTT-International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2049-2052, Jun. 2003.
12. Bing, L., W. Hong, Z. C. Hao, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide 180-degree narrow wall directional coupler," IEEE APMC Proceedings, Vol. 1, 2005.
13. Cheng, Y., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide fixed phase shifter for 180-degree directional coupler," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 189-192, Jun. 2007.
14. Han, L., K. Wu, X.-P. Chen, and F. He, "Accurate and efficient design technique for wideband substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 2, 248-259, Wiley Periodicals, Inc., 2011.
15. Bozzi, M., F. Xu, D. Deslandes, and K. Wu, "Modeling and design considerations for substrate integrated waveguide circuits and components," 8th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Services, TELSIKS 2007, P-VII-P-XVI, Sep. 2007.
16. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, Jan. 2005.
17. Xu, F., Y. Zhang, W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Finite difference frequency-domain algorithm for modeling guided wave properties of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2221-2227, Nov. 2003.
18. Hildebrand, L. T., "Results for a simple compact narrow-wall directional coupler," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 6, 1051-8207, Jun. 2000.
19. Liu, B., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, J. X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) double-slot coupler," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 2, 113-114, Jan. 18, 2007.
20. Ali, A., F. Coccetti, H. Aubert, and N. J. G. Fonseca, "Novel multi-layer SIW broadband coupler for nolen matrix design in Ku band," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
21. Labay, V. A. and J. Bornemann, "E-plane directional couplers in substrate-integrated waveguide technology," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2008, 1-3, 2008.
22. Labay, V. A. and J. Bornemann, "Design of dual-band substrate-integrated waveguide E-plane directional couplers," Asia Paciˉc Microwave Conference, APMC 2009, 2116-2119, 2009.
23. Navarro, D. V., L. F. Carrera, M. Baquero-Escudero, and V. M. Rodrigo-Pe~narrocha, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers in Ku and K bands," Proceedings of the 40th European Microwave Conference (2010 EuMA), 1178-1181, 2010.
24. Ali, A. A. M., H. B. El-Shaarawy, and H. Aubert, "Compact wideband double-layer half-mode substrate integrated waveguide 90o coupler," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 10, 598-599, May 12, 2011.
25. Chen, J. X., W. Hong, Z. C. Hao, H. Li, and K. Wu, "Development of a low cost microwave mixer using a broad-band substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) coupler," IEEE Microwave Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 2, 84-86, 2006.