Resonance interaction between the electromagnetic radiation from a dipole antenna and a cylindrical density depletion aligned with an external static magnetic field in a magnetoplasma is studied in the case where the antenna is located outside such a density irregularity. A distinctive feature of the presented analysis is using a realistic distribution of the antenna current instead of the assumed one. It is shown that such an antenna can excite plasmon resonances of the density depletion, along with the resonance at the plasma frequency of the outer region. In addition, previously unrevealed resonances of the total field, which are related to excitation of complex modes of the cylindrical density depletion, are discussed. The results obtained can be helpful in understanding the basic properties of resonance interaction of the antenna fields with cylindrical density irregularities in a magnetoplasma and planning the related experiments in the ionospheric and laboratory plasmas.
1. Fialer, P. A., "Field-aligned scattering from a heated region of the ionosphere — Observations at HF and VHF," Radio Sci., Vol. 9, No. 11, 923-940, 1974. doi:10.1029/RS009i011p00923
2. Stenzel, R. L., "Filamentation instability of a large amplitude whistler wave," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 19, No. 6, 865-871, 1976. doi:10.1063/1.861552
3. Sugai, H., M. Maruyama, M. Sato, and S. Takeda, "Whistler wave ducting caused by antenna actions," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 21, No. 4, 690-694, 1978. doi:10.1063/1.862278
4. Vdovichenko, I. A., G. A. Markov, V. A. Mironov, and A. M. Sergeev, "Ionizational self-ducting of whistlers in a plasma," JETP Lett., Vol. 44, No. 5, 275-279, 1986.
5. Stenzel, R. L., "Whistler waves in space and laboratory plasmas," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 104, No. A7, 14379-14395, 1999. doi:10.1029/1998JA900120
6. Bell, T. F. and H. D. Ngo, "Electrostatic lower hybrid waves excited by electromagnetic whistler mode waves scattering from planar magnetic-field-aligned plasma density irregularities," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 95, No. A1, 149-172, 1990. doi:10.1029/JA095iA01p00149
7. Bamber, J. F., W. Gekelman, and J. E. Maggs, "Whistler wave mode conversion to lower hybrid waves at a density striation," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 73, No. 22, 2990-2993, 1994. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.73.2990
8. Calvert, W., "Wave ducting in different wave modes," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 100, No. A9, 17491-17497, 1995. doi:10.1029/95JA01131
9. Streltsov, A. V., M. Lampe, W. Manheimer, G. Ganguli, and G. Joyce, "Whistler propagation in inhomogeneous plasma," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 111, No. A3, A03216, 2006.
10. Streltsov, A. V., J. Woodroffe, W. Gekelman, and P. Pribyl, "Modeling the propagation of whistler-mode waves in the presence of field-aligned density irregularities," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 19, No. 5, 052104, 2012. doi:10.1063/1.4719710
11. Woodroffe, J. R., A. V. Streltsov, A. Vartanyan, and G. M. Milikh, "Whistler propagation in ionospheric density ducts: Simulations and DEMETER observations," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 118, No. 11, 7011-7018, 2013. doi:10.1002/2013JA019445
12. Woodroffe, J. R. and A. V. Streltsov, "Whistler interaction with field-aligned density irregularities in the ionosphere: Refraction, diffraction, and interference," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 119, No. 7, 5790-5799, 2014. doi:10.1002/2013JA019683
13. Hall, J. O. and T. B. Leyser, "Conversion of trapped upper hybrid oscillations and Z mode at a plasma density irregularity," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 10, No. 6, 2509-2518, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1574813
14. Hall, J. O., Ya. N. Istomin, and T. B. Leyser, "Electromagnetic coupling of localized upper hybrid oscillations in a system of density depletions," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 16, No. 1, 012902, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3068744
15. Eliasson, B. and T. B. Leyser, "Numerical study of upper hybrid to Z-mode leakage during electromagnetic pumping of groups of striations in the ionosphere," Ann. Geophys., Vol. 33, No. 8, 1019-1030, 2015. doi:10.5194/angeo-33-1019-2015
16. Starodubtsev, M. V., V. V. Nazarov, M. E. Gushchin, and A. V. Kostrov, "Laboratory modeling of ionospheric heating experiments," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 121, No. 10, 10481-10495, 2016. doi:10.1002/2015JA021898
17. Starodubtsev, M., S. Korobkov, M. Gushchin, S. Grach, and V. Nazarov, "Ducting of upper-hybrid waves by density depletions in a magnetoplasma with weak spatial dispersion," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 26, No. 7, 072902, 2019. doi:10.1063/1.5099338
18. Benson, R. F., P. A. Webb, J. L. Green, D. L. Carpenter, V. S. Sonwalkar, H. G. James, and B. W. Reinisch, "Active wave experiments in space plasmas: The Z mode," Lect. Notes Phys., Vol. 687, 3-35, 2006. doi:10.1007/3-540-33203-0_1
19. Kondrat’ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, Electrodynamics of Density Ducts in Magnetized Plasmas, Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1999.
20. Streltsov, A. V., J.-J. Berthelier, A. A. Chernyshov, V. L. Frolov, F. Honary, M. J. Kosch, R. P. McCoy, E. V. Mishin, and M. T. Rietveld, "Past, present and future of active radio frequency experiments in space," Space Sci. Rev., Vol. 214, 118, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11214-018-0549-7
21. Vandenplas, P. E., Electron Waves and Resonances in Bounded Plasmas, Interscience Publishers, London, 1968.
22. Krall, N. A. and A. W. Trivelpiece, Principles of Plasma Physics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1973.
23. Bryant, G. H. and R. N. Franklin, "The scattering of a plane wave by a bounded plasma," Proc. Phys. Soc., Vol. 81, No. 3, 531-543, 1963. doi:10.1088/0370-1328/81/3/322
24. Parker, J. V., J. C. Nickel, and R. W. Gould, "Resonance oscillations in a hot nonuniform plasma," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 7, No. 9, 1489-1500, 1964. doi:10.1063/1.1711404
25. Crawford, F. W., "Internal resonances of a discharge column," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 35, No. 5, 1365-1369, 1964. doi:10.1063/1.1713635
26. Messiaen, A. M. and P. E. Vandenplas, "Resonant behaviour of a cylindrical column of plasma in free space with and without steady magnetic fields," Physica, Vol. 28, No. 6, 537-552, 1962. doi:10.1016/0031-8914(62)90108-8
27. Crawford, F. W., G. S. Kino, and A. B. Cannara, "Dipole resonances of a plasma in a magnetic field," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 34, No. 11, 3168-3175, 1963. doi:10.1063/1.1729157
28. Schmitt, H. J., G. Meltz, and P. J. Freyheit, "Gyrotropic resonances in afterglow plasmas," Phys. Rev., Vol. 139, No. 5A, A1432-A1440, 1965. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.139.A1432
29. Seshadri, S. R., "Plane-wave scattering by a magnetoplasma cylinder," Electron. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 9, 256-258, 1965. doi:10.1049/el:19650232
30. Vandenplas, P. E. and A. M. Messiaen, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by a cylindrical plasma in a steady magnetic field: I. Anisotropy effects," Nucl. Fusion, Vol. 5, No. 1, 47-55, 1965. doi:10.1088/0029-5515/5/1/006
31. Buchsbaum, S. J. and A. Hasegawa, "Excitation of longitudinal plasma oscillations near electron cyclotron harmonics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 25, 685-688, 1964. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.12.685
32. Buchsbaum, S. J. and A. Hasegawa, "Longitudinal plasma oscillations near electron cyclotron harmonics," Phys. Rev., Vol. 143, No. 1, 303-309, 1966. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.143.303
33. Es’kin, V. A., A. V. Ivoninsky, and A. V. Kudrin, "Scattering of an obliquely incident plane electromagnetic wave by a magnetized plasma column: Energy flow patterns at plasmon resonances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 63, 173-186, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15080402
34. Es’kin, V. A., A. V. Ivoninsky, A. V. Kudrin, and C. Krafft, "Poynting vector behaviour during the resonance scattering of a plane electromagnetic wave by a gyrotropic cylinder," Phys. Scr., Vol. 91, No. 1, 015502, 2016. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/91/1/015502
35. Es’kin, V. A., A. V. Ivoninsky, A. V. Kudrin, and L. L. Popova, "Electromagnetic radiation from filamentary sources in the presence of axially magnetized cylindrical plasma scatterers," J. Exp. Theor. Phys., Vol. 124, No. 2, 202-212, 2017. doi:10.1134/S1063776117020030
36. Kelley, M. C., T. L. Arce, J. Salowey, M. Sulzer, W. T. Armstrong, M. Carter, and L. Duncan, "Density depletions at the 10-m scale induced by the Arecibo heater," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 100, No. A9, 17367-17376, 1995. doi:10.1029/95JA00063
37. Stubbe, P., "Review of ionospheric modification experiments at Tromsø," J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., Vol. 58, No. 1–4, 349-368, 1996. doi:10.1016/0021-9169(95)00041-0
38. Frolov, V. L., L. M. Erukhimov, S. A. Metelev, and E. N. Sergeev, "Temporal behaviour of artificial small-scale ionospheric irregularities: Review of experimental results," J. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys., Vol. 59, No. 18, 2317-2333, 1997. doi:10.1016/S1364-6826(96)00126-5
39. Tereshchenko, E. D., B. Z. Khudukon, A. V. Gurevich, K. P. Zybin, V. L. Frolov, E. N. Myasnikov, N. V. Muravieva, and H. C. Carlson, "Radio tomography and scintillation studies of ionospheric electron density modification caused by a powerful HF-wave and magnetic zenith effect at mid-latitudes," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 325, No. 5–6, 381-388, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2004.03.055
41. Blagoveshchenskaya, N. F., T. D. Borisova, T. K. Yeoman, M. T. Rietveld, I. M. Ivanova, and L. J. Baddeley, "Artificial small-scale field-aligned irregularities in the high latitude F region of the ionosphere induced by an X-mode HF heater wave," Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 8, L08802, 2011. doi:10.1029/2011GL046724
42. Vartanyan, A., G. M. Milikh, E. Mishin, M. Parrot, I. Galkin, B. Reinisch, J. Huba, G. Joyce, and K. Papadopoulos, "Artificial ducts caused by HF heating of the ionosphere by HAARP," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 117, No. A11, A10307, 2012.
43. Najmi, A., G. Milikh, J. Secan, K. Chiang, M. Psiaki, P. Bernhardt, S. Briczinski, C. Siefring, C. L. Chang, and K. Papadopoulos, "Generation and detection of super small striations by F region HF heating," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 119, No. 7, 6000-6011, 2014. doi:10.1002/2014JA020038
44. Grach, S. M., E. N. Sergeev, E. V. Mishin, and A. V. Shindin, "Dynamic properties of ionospheric plasma turbulence driven by high-power high-frequency radiowaves," Phys. Usp., Vol. 59, No. 11, 1091-1128, 2016. doi:10.3367/UFNe.2016.07.037868
45. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kostrov, A. V. Kudrin, A. V. Tikhonov, S. V. Tronin, and A. A. Shaikin, "Channeling of waves in the whistler frequency range within nonuniform plasma structures," Sov. Phys. JETP, Vol. 75, No. 4, 625-632, 1992.
46. Kostrov, A. V., A. V. Kudrin, L. E.Kurina, G. A. Luchinin, A. A. Shaykin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistlers in thermally generated ducts with enhanced plasma density: Excitation and propagation," Phys. Scr., Vol. 62, No. 1, 51-65, 2000. doi:10.1238/Physica.Regular.062a00051
47. Nazarov, V. V., M. V. Starodubtsev, and A. V. Kostrov, "Nonlinear trapping and self-guiding of magnetized Langmuir waves due to thermal plasma filamentation," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 14, No. 12, 122106, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2822161
48. Aidakina, N., M. Gushchin, I. Zudin, S. Korobkov, and A. Strikovskiy, "Laboratory study of interaction of magnetoplasma irregularities produced by several radio-frequency heating sources," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 25, No. 7, 072114, 2018. doi:10.1063/1.5012554
49. Ivoninsky, A. V. and A. V. Kudrin, "Resonance scattering of an extraordinary wave by a cylindrical density depletion in a magnetoplasma," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 25, No. 10, 102112, 2018. doi:10.1063/1.5054687
50. Arnush, D., "The role of Trivelpiece-Gould waves in antenna coupling to helicon waves," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 7, No. 7, 3042-3050, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.874157
51. Carter, M. D., F. W. Baity, G. C. Barber, R. H. Goulding, Y. Mori, D. O. Sparks, K. F. White, E. F. Jaeger, F. R. Chang-Dıaz, and J. P. Squire, "Comparing experiments with modeling for light ion helicon plasma sources," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 9, No. 12, 5097-5110, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1519539
53. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kudrin, and M. Yu. Lyakh, "Excitation of nonsymmetric waves by given sources in a magnetoplasma in the presence of a cylindrical plasma channel," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 46, No. 5–6, 407-424, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1026371902173
54. Kudrin, A. V., P. V. Bakharev, C. Krafft, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistler wave radiation from a loop antenna located in a cylindrical density depletion," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 16, No. 6, 063502, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3142469
55. Pfannmoller, J. P., C. Lechte, O. Grulke, and T. Klinger, "Investigations on loop antenna excited whistler waves in a cylindrical plasma based on laboratory experiments and simulations," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 19, No. 10, 102113, 2012. doi:10.1063/1.4763558
56. Kudrin, A. V., N. M. Shkokova, O. E. Ferencz, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistler wave radiation from a pulsed loop antenna located in a cylindrical duct with enhanced plasma density," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 21, No. 11, 112115, 2014. doi:10.1063/1.4901949
57. Kudrin, A. V., O. M. Ostafiychuk, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Excitation of whistler waves below the lower hybrid frequency by a loop antenna located in an enhanced density duct," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 24, No. 8, 082109, 2017. doi:10.1063/1.4996908
58. Kondrat’ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "The use of near-antenna artificial density ducts for increasing the power of VLF radiation in space plasma," J. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys., Vol. 59, No. 18, 2475-2488, 1997. doi:10.1016/S1364-6826(96)00141-1
59. Kudrin, A. V., M. Yu. Lyakh, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Wave emission from an open-ended cylindrical channel in a cold magnetoplasma," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 12, 1645-1648, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.982442
60. Ginzburg, V. L., The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970.
61. Felsen, L. B. and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1973.
62. Lee, S. W. and Y. T. Lo, "Current distribution and input admittance of an infinite cylindrical antenna in anisotropic plasma," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 15, No. 2, 244-252, 1967. doi:10.1109/TAP.1967.1138871
63. Lee, S. W., "Cylindrical antenna in uniaxial resonant plasmas," Radio Sci., Vol. 4, No. 2, 179-189, 1969. doi:10.1029/RS004i002p00179
64. Chugunov, Yu. V., "The theory of a thin metal antenna in anisotropic media," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 12, No. 6, 661-664, 1969. doi:10.1007/BF01031245
65. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kudrin, and E. Yu. Petrov, "VLF current distribution on a cylindrical VLF antenna in a magnetoplasma," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 42, No. 8, 660-673, 1999. doi:10.1007/BF02676852
66. Kudrin, A. V., E. Yu. Petrov, G. A. Kyriacou, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Insulated cylindrical antenna in a cold magnetoplasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 135-166, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04090101
67. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Tables of Integrals, Series and Products, Academic Press, New York, 2007.
68. Tamir, T. and A. A. Oliner, "The spectrum of electromagnetic waves guided by a plasma layer," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 51, No. 2, 317-332, 1963. doi:10.1109/PROC.1963.1758
69. Shevchenko, V. V., Continuous Transitions in Open Waveguides, Golem Press, Boulder, 1971.