This paper addresses the design of fractal antennas placed onto dielectric object in the UHF RFID band and introduces a tag antenna configuration of simple geometry having impedance tuning capability. Through the paper, the dimensions of the fractal antenna are optimized to improve the impedance matching with the chip impedance. The tag performance changes are studied when it is placed on different objects (e.g., cardboard boxes with various content), or when other objects are present in the vicinity of the tagged object. It has been shown that a tag antenna can be designed or tuned for optimum performance on a particular object. Using the finite element method the open circuit voltage and the polarization mismatch factor against the operating frequency are calculated. The input impedance, reflection coefficient, power transmission coefficient and the read range as a function of frequency are illustrated. The performance of the tag antenna in the presence of the dielectric box and different object materials inside the box is illustrated. The effect of the objects that are placed in the center of the dielectric box didn't have a significant effect on the performance of the tag antenna; there is a small shift in the resonance frequency but still within the operating frequency band. Both the power transmission coefficient and the read range change with the object material. The backscattering properties of the tag antenna have been studied. The differential radar cross-section of the tag antenna is calculated for different antenna loads.
Hend Abd El-Azem Malhat,
"Fractal Antenna for Passive UHF RFID Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 16, 209-228, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09051506
1. Chen, Z. N., Antennas for Portable Devices, Chapter 3, John Wiely & Sons, Ltd., UK, 2007.
2. Chen, S.-Y. and P. Hsu, "CPW-fed folded-slot antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID tags," Electronic Lett., Vol. 24, 1516-1517, Nov. 2004.
3. Padhi, S. K., N. C. Karmakar, C. L. Law, and S. Aditya, "A dual polarized aperture coupling circular patch antenna using a C-shaped coupling slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3295-3298, Dec. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.820947
4. Marrocco, G., "Gain-optimized self-resonant meander line antennas for RFID applications," Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 21, 302-305, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.822198
5. Hirvonen, M., P. Pursula, K. Jaakkola, and K. Laukkanen, "Planar inverted-F antenna for radio frequency identification," Electronic Lett., Vol. 40, 848-850, Jul. 2004.
6. Qing, X.-M. and N. Yang, "A folded dipole antenna for RFID," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 97-100, Jun. 2004.
7. Foster, P. R. and R. A. Burberry, "Antenna problems in RFID systems," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Colloquium RFID Technology, 3/1--3/5, Oct. 1999.
8. Tan, K. G., A. R. Wasif, and C.-P. Tan, "Objects tracking utilizing square grid RFID reader antenna network," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 27-38, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308783122724
9. Shi, X., F.Wei, Q. Huang, L.Wang, and X.-W. Shi, "Novel binary search algorithm of backtracking for RFID tag anti-collision," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 97-104, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08070802
10. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Yang, and J.-F. Liu, "A compact folded printed dipole antenna for UHF RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 47-54, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08121303
11. Best, S. R., "On the performance properties of the Koch fractal and other bent wire monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1292-1300, Jun. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.812257
12. Seshagiri Rao, K. V., P. V. Nikitin, S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3870-3876, Dec. 2005.
13. Nikitin, P. V. and K. V. S. Rao, "Theory and measurement of backscattering from RFID tags," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 48, 212-218, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/MAP.2006.323323
14. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. Kishk, and T. Elsherbeni, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011804
15. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, Nov. 2000. doi:10.1109/8.900236
16. Da Costa, K. Q. and V. Dmitriev, "Theoretical analysis of a modified Koch monopole with reduced dimensions," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 5, 475-479, Oct. 2006.
17. Wunsch, A. D., "The vector effective length of slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 5, 705-709, May 1991. doi:10.1109/8.81509
18. Zainud-Deen, S. H., "Polarization losses in normal mode helical antenna," 1995 IEEE/AP-S International Symposium and USNC/URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1883-1886, California, 1995.
19. Fuschini, F., C. Piersanti, F. Paolazzi, and G. Falciasecca, "Analytical approach to the backscattering from UHF RFID transponder," Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 12, 33-35, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.914121
20. Pursula, P., D. Sandstrom, and K. Jaakkola, "Backscattering-based measurement of reactive antenna input impedance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 469-474, Feb. 200. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915425
21. Penttila, K., M. Keskilammi, L. Sydanheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "Radar cross-section analysis for passive RFID systems," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 1, Feb. 2006.
22. Youla, D. C., "On scattering matercies normalized to complex port numbers," Proc. I. R. E., Vol. 49, 12-21, Jul. 1961.
23. Dong, X. and T. An, "A new FEM approach for open boundary Laplace's problem," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 157-160, Jan. 1996. doi:10.1109/22.481399
24. Zhou, X. and G. W. Pan, "Application of physical spline finite element method (PSFEM) to full wave analysis of waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 19-41, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05081102
25. Gavrilovic, M. M. and J. P. Webb, "Accuracy control in the optimization of microwave devices by finite element methods," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1901-1911, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.801329
26. Polycarpou, A. C., Introduction to Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, Morgan & Claypool Publishers' series, USA, 2006.
27. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahland, and A. Ittipiboon, "Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook," Artech House, Inc., Norwood, USA, 2001.
28. Johonson, J. and R Sainati, "Investigation of UHF RFID tag backscatter," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 2753-2755, Jun. 2007.